Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is one hex between my fish and a waterfall, can I play a double swim forward and a single swim forward to jump the water fall?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dhc3po wrote:
If there is one hex between my fish and a waterfall, can I play a double swim forward and a single swim forward to jump the water fall?

No the jump has to start ascent ti the water fall and two cards spent as you go over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I thought. We had that come up earlier tonight and I said it couldn't be done but I thought I'd check.
We also has a situation where one player was to the right of the spawning pool and wanted to play a swim left and a swim forward to jump the waterfall, but it would cause his fish to go off the end of the board. I allowed this since I figured its part of the spawning pool. Am I correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
dhc3po wrote:

No the jump has to start ascent ti the water fall and two cards spent as you go over it.

Can you point me to the page where it says that a jump must start adjacent to the waterfall? I can't seem to find anything about that. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I recently realized you move 3 spaces when combining a move 2 and a regular move card when jumping, I just assumed you did not have to be next to the waterfall hex to initiate a jump. Of course my assumptions have proven wrong with these jump rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mille1212 wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
dhc3po wrote:

Can you point me to the page where it says that a jump must start adjacent to the waterfall? I can't seem to find anything about that. Thanks

Thanks for being able to read through my "smart phone's" auto correct.

Cards are played one at a time. By playing the single card first, you are now adjacent to the water fall. Playing the double swim would get you past the water fall on its own but that is specifically prohibited.

The jump rules imply to me that you start next to it and then need to play two cards to get out of it. Any extra moves from the card combos would be taken after the water fall and not before it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I see what you are saying if you choose to play the regular swim card first.

But, if you started one space away from the waterfall and play the double swim card first (putting you on top of the waterfall), then could you not play the regular swim card 2nd (landing you one hex beyond the waterfall), or another double swim card second (landing you two hexes beyond the waterfall)?

I don't see anything in the rules that would prohibit such a move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
I don't know what the actual intent of the designer is, but from a mechanics standpoint I don't see why you couldn't start two hexes from a waterfall, play a double swim card to enter the waterfall, and then play a single swim to clear the waterfall.
That's really no different than starting one hex from a waterfall, and then playing two single swim cards.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
underling wrote:
I don't know what the actual intent of the designer is, but from a mechanics standpoint I don't see why you couldn't start two hexes from a waterfall, play a double swim card to enter the waterfall, and then play a single swim to clear the waterfall.
That's really no different than starting one hex from a waterfall, and then playing two single swim cards.

Kevin

If I understand correctly, there is a difference. If you play a double swim and would end up in the waterfall hex - you play the card but not move, because you could not complete (legally) the move.

However, that aside I suspect it to keep things simple by saying you can not stop in a waterfall hex for all situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play a single swim card first from a hex that is adjacent to a waterfall, then you end up on the waterfall hex too before playing your next swim card to jump. That is no different than playing a double swim card first from two hexes away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
mille1212 wrote:
If you play a single swim card first from a hex that is adjacent to a waterfall, then you end up on the waterfall hex too before playing your next swim card to jump. That is no different than playing a double swim card first from two hexes away.

I thought when playing jump you have to play both cards at same time, not the normal 1 at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sanders wrote:
mille1212 wrote:

I thought when playing jump you have to play both cards at same time, not the normal 1 at a time.

Yeah, the rule book needs a lot of help. It also implies that no matter what two cards you combine, you are only moving 2 hexes. This has since been cleared up that you still move the full hexes granted by the cards. So maybe you can jump away while not adjacent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dhc3po wrote:

Yes. The starting position of the jump doesn't matter as long as the jump clears the waterfall and the landing position is legal (not on a rock or waterfall hex). So you may initiate a jump one hex away from a waterfall if you're jumping with a double swim +swim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.