Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to make sure we are playing these 2 captain Americas cards correctly.
He has 2 cards that give bonuses for each color of hero you have. (Perfect Teamwork and Avengers Assemble)

Do the bonuses only count for heroes in play at the time you play him, or can you play him, then play other types of heroes and give him the total bonus after all heroes are played?

To my understanding, all cards completely resolve their abilities when played.
I can think of no other card that you can play, and then refer back to it at a later time to buff up its ability.
So If I play Captain America when I have only 2 types of hero in play, my bonus is only 2 for that card. Even if I play 3 other types of heroes afterward.

A debate arose tonight saying that his ability is not checked until all cards are played, making those two cards very powerful.

Any clarification to help settle our debate is appreciated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
I just want to make sure we are playing these 2 captain Americas cards correctly.
He has 2 cards that give bonuses for each color of hero you have. (Perfect Teamwork and Avengers Assemble)

Do the bonuses only count for heroes in play at the time you play him, or can you play him, then play other types of heroes and give him the total bonus after all heroes are played?


Underlined the key part. You can play those Caps first or last and they'll be worth the same amount of Attack or Recruit (assuming no draw effects). Have means heroes already played from hand and still in your hand both count toward it.

Example in the bottom-right corner of page 16 even uses one of these Caps and heroes both played and still in hand.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow! That is what I get for posting so late. I was so tired I looked right past it in the rule book...

I have trouble navigating that manual.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Underlined the key part. You can play those Caps first or last and they'll be worth the same amount of Attack or Recruit (assuming no draw effects).

Well said.

I'd just like to expand on the draw effects caveat. "Heroes you have" are cards you've played this turn or are currently in your hand. I usually play any cards with draw effects before playing these Captain America cards to increase my chances of maximizing their value. If you need to play them before any draw cards to set up combos, just be sure to calculate their value when you play them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
I'd just like to expand on the draw effects caveat. "Heroes you have" are cards you've played this turn or are currently in your hand. I usually play any cards with draw effects before playing these Captain America cards to increase my chances of maximizing their value. If you need to play them before any draw cards to set up combos, just be sure to calculate their value when you play them.


Which can pose some hmm-ummm decisions, since the two Caps in question are excellent combo starters, having no combo effects, but if your deck has yet heroes of type not yet in your hand, have to weigh the needs/benefit of starting a combo vs odds of drawing another hero that would boost Cap even more if you play the draw effect(s) first.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.