Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first 5 player game tonight. Ran long, but had a lot of fun. We liked the larger map a lot. The thought came up about playing the board with less than 5 players. Has anyone tried that before and have any advice to offer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The purpose of bigger maps for more players is to keep the world an appropriate size for the number of players. If you use a bigger board for less players it becomes less of a... Small World... You could give it a shot, but there would likely be less conflict and more of players just camping out because there's too much territory to go around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can imagine people liking the game but wishing it wasn't as PvP intense. If that's the case for your group, give it a shot. I'd recommend respawning the Lost Tribes at the beginning of every round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kunst
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our very first game we played with 2 on the 3-player map (because we didn't spot the number of players icon).
It works, but you will not see very much conflict. Players can stay away from each other the entire game and just collect points. It's friendly, but a tad boring...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the name of this game again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I didn't explain myself very well. I was wondering if anyone had adjusted the rules to make it still competitive with less players on the bigger board. My friend suggested something like having 2 in decline races. The lost tribe idea isn't bad either.

Maybe it's because I often get to play 3 player and rarely does the 4-5 board come out, but I really liked the bigger board layout and wanted to use it more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has come up a few times before. It is definitely my wife's preferred way to play, because she prefers the ability to expand outward without running out of room.

Even for players that enjoy interaction, it's an interesting experiment. Some races/special powers reward interaction, so it becomes a more deliberate decision than one forced by the board. Playing with the larger board tends to add a (or increase the existing) political element of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smilin' Stan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could select a number of territories to be no-go areas, in order to force more interaction. It could probably be a random selection with tweaking if necessary to avoid sections of the board cut off.

It would mean you're no longer playing the 5 player board but if the idea is to play with 3 or 4 players on a different board then it fits the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm of the mind right now I'm better off picking up Realms when the rest of my group wants a new map. So far I'm the only one looking for some variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave41fan wrote:
She prefers the ability to expand outward without running out of room.

That would be Risk, right? LOL

Proto Persona wrote:
I'm better off picking up Realms when the rest of my group wants a new map. So far I'm the only one looking for some variety.

If you want variety in this game, just change who you are playing with. That keeps it fresh for me. New races/powers help too. But yeah, Realms is good for a change of scenery--I'm just starting to tap into all that it has to offer, building tight, creative maps of my own is a rewarding challenge. (I'm testing my second one right now and I should be able to share it with everyone here by the end of May, if anyone's interested.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bandit_boy7 wrote:
Proto Persona wrote:
I'm better off picking up Realms when the rest of my group wants a new map. So far I'm the only one looking for some variety.

If you want variety in this game, just change who you are playing with. That keeps it fresh for me. New races/powers help too. But yeah, Realms is good for a change of scenery--I'm just starting to tap into all that it has to offer, building tight, creative maps of my own is a rewarding challenge. (I'm testing my second one right now and I should be able to share it with everyone here by the end of May, if anyone's interested.)

Change of line up is a few and far between thing for me. I only know 2 people with the urge to play games as often as me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad. Sorry.
You should check out meetup.com listings for your local area.
I did, and I found 3 groups within 20 miles that I didn't know existed!
Now I turn down gaming opportunities all the time and still get my fill. With this in mind (if you feel hesitant to do this, as I did) the best advice I have received was: "You may have better luck turning gamers into friends than trying to turn your friends into gamers." That was genius. And attend whatever local convention is near you. 2 years later, I have so many great gamer-friends, and I'm involved in a great community.
Good luck to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.