Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so I love this game.

When I'm not playing X-Wing, I'm talking about it. When I'm not talking about it, I'm building squad lists with notes and counters on my nerded out spreadsheet. When I'm not building loadouts, I'm lurking on forums. And when I'm not lurking... you get the point.

I am smitten, and X-Wing = Pringles as far as I'm concerned. So in a foolish effort to accessorize and pimp-out components of a game that never warranted an upgrade (thank you FFG!), I decided it was time to get creative!

I recently picked up a pair of acrylic range rulers from Litko and really liked how the acrylic gripped the surface of the rubbery yoga mat I play on.

Yoga Mat post
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/943766/yoga-x-wing-win

So I decided it was time to look into acrylic options for maneuver templates - because everyone knows what a pain point it's become to hold the template down with a finger when moving a ship's base from one end to the other. whistle

So I looked at the various options out there, and didn't come away terribly impressed. For the price I'd be paying, I would have expected to customize more, or at least have more than 2 or 3 color options.

But I stumbled upon a new SKU on Litko's growing list of X-Wing accessories - customizeable maneuver templates. Given how happy I was with their range rulers, I decided to give the new product a shot!

I liked how I had text options to put on the templates along with a myriad of color choices and transparencies. I decided I wouldn't want anything more than the rebel/imperial symbols, so I googled a free Star Wars font off the interwebs and submitted that along with my choice of colors.

3 weeks later, they arrived. And they are beautiful.

Rebel Alliance templates were printed on Fluorescent Orange acrylic.

**The rebel templates didn't photograph that well. There are reflections making them look opaque, but they are translucent, and a very deep, orange color.

Imperial Navy templates were printed on Fluorescent Green acrylic.

Here's a shot I took the evening I took receipt of the parcel, with some minis for context. Ignore the crappy, washed out colors on the templates. I got impatient and shot this in the middle of the night with a flash making things look *meh*.

So here it is. A very expensive solution for a problem that never existed!
Although I do very much appreciate the fact that shifting templates are a thing of the past on my yoga mat.

So for the X-Wing obsessive-compulsive who must have everything, here's yet another step backwards on your road to recovery.

Cheers!
-B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look awesome.

I bought the Litko clear templates, and ... well, I like them, but on my Death Star mat, they're really hard to see! I wish I'd gotten the smoky ones, or (like you) had sprung for customs.

As an aside, regarding asteroids ... how do you judge overlaps, with them raised as you've got them? I ask because I pre-ordered the GF9 asteroid set, and I'm wondering how to use them for more competitive games (or even if I'll be able to).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I was considering the clear templates too at one point, but wasn't settled on a play mat solution so decided it was best to wait until then.

In regards to asteroids, (without having to get up and hover right over the obstruction) I'd say 95% of the time, it's more than clear when there is or is not overlap present with either a template or ship base.

In those instances where it's very close, both players usually take a close look straight down on the asteroid, and again, it's usually very clear at that point as well.

In the numerous games I've played with folks, there has only been 1 instance where both players found themselves at an impasse. In that instance, we just rolled for it with an attack die to determine outcome: crit > hit > focus > blank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xBino wrote:
In the numerous games I've played with folks, there has only been 1 instance where both players found themselves at an impasse. In that instance, we just rolled for it with an attack die to determine outcome: crit > hit > focus > blank.

For what it's worth, there's actually a rule for any too-close-to-call situation in the game, I think: each player grabs an equal number of dice -- one green, the other red -- and rolls for number of {focus} results. (Obviously any random method is fair, but I've actually run into people who are anal or superstitious enough to require following "the rule.") I'm not sure if that rule is part of the tourney rules, explicitly or implicitly, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dale
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh yes these are very cool. I bought the clear ones originally and they're 'ok' but these are waaaay better to use with the orange/green litko range rulers that I've got too.

For anyone in the UK - Figures In Comfort stock Litko here. Erik has emailed me saying they're do-able on an order but might take a while. If plenty in the UK were interested in the examples shown here (I can think of two or three minimum who will be) we might be able to get some through Erik as he wouldn't have to order lots of different customised options....

http://www.figuresincomfort.net/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewmdale wrote:
Ooh yes these are very cool. I bought the clear ones originally and they're 'ok' but these are waaaay better to use with the orange/green litko range rulers that I've got too.

For anyone in the UK - Figures In Comfort stock Litko here. Erik has emailed me saying they're do-able on an order but might take a while. If plenty in the UK were interested in the examples shown here (I can think of two or three minimum who will be) we might be able to get some through Erik as he wouldn't have to order lots of different customised options....

http://www.figuresincomfort.net/

I would certainly be interested assuming the price was sensible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Wilder wrote:
I pre-ordered the GF9 asteroid set

Link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo W
Germany
flag msg tools
How good are Litko rulers regarding the tolerance/precision? I heard the FFG rulers have a production tolerance of +/- 1mm. I can image that the acrylic rulers would be even more precise than the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dale
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Udo77 wrote:
How good are Litko rulers regarding the tolerance/precision? I heard the FFG rulers have a production tolerance of +/- 1mm. I can image that the acrylic rulers would be even more precise than the original.

Visually mine (clear type) are identical to the two core sets I originally bought. I haven't measured them precisely though - didn't feel the need as they look fine to my eye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ebay seller willybaby in New Hampshire is selling a very similar set. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-X-Wing-Miniatures-Game-Cus...

I bought a set of templates from Applied Perspectives, but I seem to have gotten a bad batch as they are too far off from the original cardboard for my liking.

The personalized option is what made me jump on the Litko version. If I've got a choice of somebody's name going to be on my templates, I can't resist having my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Link?

http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=92916#.U...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Wilder wrote:
As an aside, regarding asteroids ... how do you judge overlaps, with them raised as you've got them? I ask because I pre-ordered the GF9 asteroid set, and I'm wondering how to use them for more competitive games (or even if I'll be able to).

I'd say you just put the cardboard on the bottom under the stand and use that to judge line of site. That way you have the outline on the table for gameplay purposes while that slick looking asteroid set stays there to look cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just feel like $20 is too much. I love Litko though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Udo77 wrote:

the acrylic templates are spot on and a perfect match.

i had heard there were some inconsistencies for other acrylic templates out there so i went through the trouble of lining up each bank and turn with the cardboard versions that came with the game.

both sets i ordered are a perfect match across all 3 base sets of maneuver templates from FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Becker
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What color did you ordered? Is it Orange or Amber?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
fbstr wrote:
What color did you ordered? Is it Orange or Amber?

oops, yeah that's important haha

i've edit the post with colors i used.

i wanted the templates to match my range rulers so i used fluorescent green and fluorescent orange

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Magoulis
United States
Safety Harbor
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of your turns only go right... How do you make left turns? zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lookin' nice!

R2Dork wrote:

On a more serious note, why do the turns and banks show a number and a straight arrow (e.g. 2↑)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
R2Dork wrote:

haha thanks for the laughs!

now that you mention it, this is the first time i noticed the directional arrows and how they are the same. i don't recall having used those visual cues when fishing for a template, or at least not anymore.

buyer beware: if the turn/bank/straight icons are needed, these aren't the templates you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...a yoga mat. That's brilliant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.