Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Survive: Escape from Atlantis! Dolphins & Dive Dice Mini Extension» Forums » General

Subject: Do I need this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't the base game already come with a dive dice or is this a new variant?
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is only for who have the 30th Anniversary Edition. The original blue box edition came with both Dolphins and two blue Dive Dice.

This mini-expansion also comes with an engraved red Creatures Die, as a gift from Stronghold Games, which replaces the non-engraved one in the 30th Anniversary Edition.

See the description of the components in the game entry.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the info. An official reply. I am honored!
Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When will it be available from the BGG store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It became available today as did the Giant Squid and 5-6 player expansion. All with 30th anniversary packaging. I just put my order for all 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy the game, you'll enjoy these expansions. Really!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:
This is only for who have the 30th Anniversary Edition. The original blue box edition came with both Dolphins and two blue Dive Dice.

This mini-expansion also comes with an engraved red Creatures Die, as a gift from Stronghold Games, which replaces the non-engraved one in the 30th Anniversary Edition.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC

Seems a shame you would release a game without basic components in order to sell as an expansion... Games fans in the UK get hit particularly hard by these marketing models, as a) it's harder to get over here and b) the markup is so huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
evilone wrote:

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC

Seems a shame you would release a game without basic components in order to sell as an expansion... Games fans in the UK get hit particularly hard by these marketing models, as a) it's harder to get over here and b) the markup is so huge.

Excuse me, but this is not the case...

We lowered the price of the base game from $50 to $40, specifically so that more people (read that as families) could justify purchases of the game. We also upgraded the artwork completely, added in a component tray, and upgraded/changed the Meeples to a plastic to ensure that they were completely uniform.

To be able to reduce the price by a full $10, we removed a few OPTIONAL components, which were the 4 Dolphins and the 2 Blue Dive Dice. We then, and specifically in response to people's request, put out these components in a mini-expansion for... $9.95. So, for the same original price, you get the same game components, with all the upgrades that I mentioned.

Oh, I forgot to mention... we ADDED an engraved RED CREATURE DIE to the Dolphin and Dive Dice mini-expansion too. For Free. Because we like our fans. No other reason. It's not needed for the expansion, it is a GIFT to those who purchased the base game, giving them an engraved die.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maankin, Gent.
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools

The dolphins are ok. In the games I've played with them they've only had a minimal impact.
The move/dive and monster dice variant however makes the game worse (in my eyes) as the whole thing becomes totally unpredictable and (more) chaotic. In the standard version you know a sea drake can only move 1 space so you can try to maneuver your boat or swimmer around it. With the dice they may get a movement of 3 spaces (right after the previous player has moved it with a dive dice right next to the island you were steering your boat towards). Expect to have no survivors in your color while using this variant.

My opinion is that only the 5-6 player expansion is "essential". I really enjoy overcrowded island variant.

The squids are a nice variant too and add some variety to the game, but they're not essential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:
and upgraded/changed the Meeples to a plastic

Just to clarify, because I'm considering buying this game...

Are the meeples in the current (30th anniversary) edition of the game plastic or wood? I was under the impression they were wood, but this statement confused me. Are they all plastic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
evilone wrote:
and upgraded/changed the Meeples to a plastic

Just to clarify, because I'm considering buying this game...

Are the meeples in the current (30th anniversary) edition of the game plastic or wood? I was under the impression they were wood, but this statement confused me. Are they all plastic?

The character meeples in the 30th are plastic and the rest of the components are wood. They did this to ensure uniformity in each character so no one could get an advantage if a wood one had a defect or uneven look to set them apart.

I held off getting the newer version thinking I would be disappointed but I just got mine in the mail this week and it's awesome, no complaints (except the non engraved die that I will get with the expansion anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see. So the people are plastic, but the sharks/whales/monsters are wood. Thanks.

A little bummed about that... I don't really care if there are slight differences in the wood, because I don't plan on using the numbers on the bottom anyway. Every survivor will = 1 point. And I like the look and feel of wood meeples a LOT more than plastic.

But, not a deal breaker for me, I think, as long as all the monsters are still wood. Maybe I can find someone with an older version who wants the more uniform plastic ones for an equal exchange.

Thanks again for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a hard time telling they were plastic to be honest, but I didn't mull over them. You could always take meeples from another game then if that's the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The three extensions were available at Orc Nest today.
I say were, because I bought two of them, £4.99 each.

~r
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kauffman
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Maankin wrote:

The dolphins are ok. In the games I've played with them they've only had a minimal impact.
The move/dive and monster dice variant however makes the game worse (in my eyes) as the whole thing becomes totally unpredictable and (more) chaotic. In the standard version you know a sea drake can only move 1 space so you can try to maneuver your boat or swimmer around it. With the dice they may get a movement of 3 spaces (right after the previous player has moved it with a dive dice right next to the island you were steering your boat towards). Expect to have no survivors in your color while using this variant.

I like to use this home rule when using the Dive Dice:

* When using the Dive Dice, use and follow the Red Sea Creature Die rules for movement of all Sea Creatures.
(Sea Serpents move 0-1 maximum, Sharks move 0-2 maximum, Whales and Giant Squid move 0-3 maximum).
* When using the Dive Dice and you get a Sea Creature result, you may use the movement amount on the second of the Dive Dice to move as many Sea Creatures
of that sort as there is available movement, up to that Sea Creatures maximum movement for each one moved using the Red Creature Die rules.
Unoccupied Boats use the same rules.
Starfish use the same rules.

For example, if you rolled a Shark on the first of the Dive Dice and a 3 on the second of the Dive Dice,
you could move one Shark 2, OR one Shark 2 and another Shark 1.
If you rolled a Whale on the first of the Dive Dice and a 3 on the second of the Dive Dice,
you could move one Whale 3, OR one Whale 2 and another Whale 2, OR three Whales 1 each.

It's also fun to:

Use BOTH the Red Sea Creature Die and the Dive Dice at the same time.
Results from the Red Sea Creature Die and the Dive Dice are resolved separately in any order the player chooses.
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Groo
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to interact with grumpy fans. My kids and I love this game, and appreciate that you work hard to keep it in print (and affordable)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.