Subject: Expose Effects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebuilding (constantly) my 3 runner decks, trying to think about weak spots for each, and it seems to be, of course, running into traps. That is of course beside bad draws, weak end/late games, and spectacularly poor user strategy. Have some general and specific thoughts/asks.

In my Kate Big Rig/link, I am not too worried about it. Had some room, and wanted to play with them, so I threw in 2 Deus X's, for traps. My biggest concern is taking tags from Ghost Branch and Snare, followed by Scorched Earth. Also, with lots of resources, tags will be a priority nescience. Thinking about throwing in a couple Infiltrations, for money flexibility and expose, but I feel this is a pretty poor card, in general.

My Noise deck has no expose, but I am toying with Public Sympathy/Wyldside, so I guess the plan is to keep a high hand size, if possible. Also, my main strategy is to pound centrals, so I might just have to take my lumps. Room is tight.

I am running a no resource Gabe deck, and would love to throw in some expose. I believe that Lumeria is good, but click expensive. Satellite Uplink is interesting, but since I am mostly screwing with Ice, and pounding Centrals, I think Snitch may be a good choice. Have little memory worry.

Sorry if all this is low level (read: duh) strategy, but hoping to get some thoughts. Is infiltration just bad, or if I can find room, and covering perceived weakness, is it not horrible?

In Gabe Ice screwage, is Snitch better than Satellite Uplink, generally? I like the flexibility of Satellite, but Snitch might fit my strategy better.

Is Satelite Uplink worthwhile OOF, if exposure is a concern? Seems too influence expensive.

Or, should I not worry about it, and try to get a feel for reading traps and taking chances?

Much thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You *will* eventually learn to read traps, and you *will* eventually learn to take chances. Though even when you're there there'll be peopl who have also learned as such and will use it against you.

Simply, an infiltration at the right time saves lives. Spam it (and codecracker) like you need it for everything, and you'll only learn to suck with it.

Sometimes you just gotta bite it and take your chances, but sometimes you definitely should expose. I don't think there's any strategy/matchup that'll rule out either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks, Tuism. Well, that was a perfectly vague answer. Probably what I should have expected.

Think I will be OK with getting a read for traps. Played a lot of poker, in my day. Fun to watch my buddy playing Jenteki, install a card, and his reaction when I said, "It's a trap!". Just the timing of the install and he gave a slight physical tell. Though, I did violate the golden rule of tells, that if you spot one you say nothing. Ha.

Any thoughts on general values of the expose (Infiltration, Satellite Uplink, Codecracker, Snitch) cards would be greatly appreciated.

Kept 2 infiltrations for Kate, and went with 1 of each Snitch and Satellite for Gabe. Guess I will just try to see how they work, or not, if I see them, or decide I really don't have room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For example, I've had plenty of cases when I know that if I infiltrate something first, I'll not have enough resource to run the thing if I have to. I've also been able to set up situations as the corp where I *know* I can waste the runners' resource because they rely on the codecracker.

Sometimes I'm really not sure if something's a trap or not, and that has nothing to do with skill, especially at higher levels. And infiltration saves lives in those situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gunkel
msg tools
mb
I think as a corp player you also learn to bluff to get the runner to waste their expose effects. To give an example form the OCTGN tourney, in one game the runner used infiltration on two PAD campaigns. Then ran into both Agressive Secretary and a Snare...

PAD campaign is the card you use for this IMO - neither a trap nor an agenda and knowing when to drop them to draw out Infiltration or Satelite uplink is part of the corp information denial game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
msg tools
Tuism wrote:
Sometimes I'm really not sure if something's a trap or not, and that has nothing to do with skill, especially at higher levels. And infiltration saves lives in those situations.

My favorite classic case is when the runner and corp are both at 5 or 6 agenda points, and the corp lays down a card in their super-server.

An expose effect can quite literally save you the game, if not 10-15 credits needed for running.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game just last night of NBN Scorched Earth against, I believe, a Chaos Theory deck, and Lemuria Codecracker did an excellent job of picking apart my defenses. I could never sneak out a quick agenda or lay out a trap!

So, while I don't think it's a GREAT card, it can certainly be very helpful. If nothing else, just the fact that the runner has the OPTION to take a peek makes things more difficult for the corp, even if the runner never actually triggers it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Teiler
Germany
flag msg tools
Yes, PADs are really awesome for this. I find myself not even using these for money purposes anymore. They're basically there to waste resources of the runner. And if they let it sit around - even better.

I think I'm slowly getting the hang of reading traps now, but I'm still including at least a couple of Infiltrations. Better safe than sorry. And they can be really important late game, when the corp just needs one more agenda to win.

€: I don't like Codecracker too much though. I can always think of a better card to include in my decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
KestrelM1 wrote:
Tuism wrote:

My favorite classic case is when the runner and corp are both at 5 or 6 agenda points, and the corp lays down a card in their super-server.

An expose effect can quite literally save you the game, if not 10-15 credits needed for running.

This is how I see it. You might also use the infiltration for 2 credits if you're drawing several cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. So, it seems like these effects can be very powerful, if used smartly, but over-doing them can weaken you, as it saps your resources and keeps you from doing other things.

Guess the same can be said for thing like Jentiki's Z Loyalty? Powerful, but maybe not at the expense of other things?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaibatsu loyalty is primarily a meta counter. It's very useful if you're running traps and expecting expose in your meta. It can be an interesting bluff if you are NOT running traps and you want to make it appear that you are -- the runner finds Z loyalty and has to ask himself 'What are you trying to hide?'. Of course, the runner actually finding a trap serves the same purpose. My general stand on narrow meta counters is that they don't have a place in decks.

My general stance is that as a runner, expose effects are by and large not necessary in most cases. There are turns on which I wish I had them, to make tense decisions less tense, but on the whole I do fine without them. I've included Zaibatsu Loyalty in only one deck (it was a sansan/edge of world deck). However, even in that deck I found it to be of limited use. I'm no longer running that deck, but if I were to rebuild it, I'd include something else, instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only trap that is really hard to gauge right now is Edge of World in decks that use a heavy dose of 3/2 agendas. And Aggressive Secretary in decks using Mandatory Upgrades and 5/3 agendas.

Junebug is a bit easy to work around. Just grab some cards and run! =) Snare is some what similar just make sure to leave a click and 2credits to remove tags.

Edge of World on the other is tough! And as of right now, feel the card is underplayed a bit. The only work around is to not run any thing that isn't advanced, but! that is exactly what sets up 3/2s (especially those very nasty AstroScript Pilot Programs).

Aggressive Secretary's are deadly too. When a Corps successfully fires one of these off the game is over.

So when is the best time to use expose?

First off all: don't use it if you can't even access the server this turn. Wasted. If its an agenda the Corps will score it.

Against HB at critical moments in the game when they have advanced an install twice.
Against NBN when they have a lead. Letting them score another AsPP is just about the end.

Some critical moments are easy to spot ie the Corps wins with one more score and if you get caught with a trap it sets you back a few turns. Note that a critical moment is NOT necessarily when you need only one more to win. In those situations you as the Runner get to choose when you'll make your critical game winning run/expose.

I don't think I have to expose much against Jinteki. In the rare cases where I'd expose, I'd just assume draw another card and soak up any incoming damage. ... Now there are situations where you would expose, just speaking of a general rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just yet another reminder: With sansan (where edge of world belongs) 4/2s are indistinguishable from 3/2s or unadvanced ambushes, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.