Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel Gracia
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really, really love this game. I recently got a hold of it and read through the manual and watched some online videos.

After a few plays on my own (I practiced with the board oriented upside down) and practicing setup at work, I went ahead and planned to play 3 sessions over a 4 day period with different people.

I wanted to share my experience with those apprehensive of the learning curve. I'm still new to the hobby (1 year-ish), so I think if I can learn it anyone can.

1st play: 3-Players
Three of us were big fans of Trajan. However one rarely plays boardgames at all, one mainly plays Agricola (by herself) and Dominion, and then there was me. Teaching took about 20 mins and our game began.

The hardest part for me to teach was just what order to introduce things. It's one of those things where explanation of one item requires explanation of another. But we picked up the rules quite easily and the mind-blowing thing was just how to combine and optimize all the actions (the super fun part). I went for priests and the +2 VP man + woman tiles and by the 6th round I was ahead by over 40 points.

However...one player unleashed endgame-bonus-points-hell (she completed 9 tasks, bought 6 jewels, built all buildings.) and beat me by 5 points. I curled up into a ball and cried.

2nd play: 3-Players
For this session I felt more confident with my teaching style. The people I played with were familiar with European games, though I was the only one that had played a Feld game.

I taught the game in about 20 minutes. I love that the player boards contain a lot of "player aid information", but the iconography of the main board and the god cards were so intuitive that the only sections people seemed to refer to most is the end game scoring information and the "Helper" action. Heck, even the green task tiles were so intuitive that I rarely referred to the manual, saving me the trouble of printing a player aid.

For this session I focused on maximizing tattoo tiles and I forget what else, but I lost miserably. The two other players creamed me.

3rd play: 4-Players
This session was the real reason I played the game twice so I could master the rules. The players in this group were very new. One only played video games, one player I believe has only played Pandemic, and one had never played a Feld game (though has played many FFG games).

We played at a place called Atomic Empire in Durham, NC. When teaching the game to this group I just went through the actions first and explained how dice placement worked. Every time I explained a game mechanic, I would pick up the dice or a tile or whatever and physically showed them how it worked.

After the rules were explained...man it was like magic. Everything just made sense to them. There were questions and clarifications here and there but after 1 round, everyone knew what to do.

However, in the end I lost. The video gamer had completed more task tiles and had more priests and managed to place all 12 huts. The scores were:

1st Michael 140
2nd Manny 130 (me)
3rd Chris 125
4th Sarah 115

Ohhh I was sooo sad. I can't believe I've taught the game 3 times now and have lost all 3. LOL. One person was really impressed that the game was taught in just about under 30 minutes.

In retrospect, I think the things that I need to refine in teaching are the green god cards and the action of activating the left icon of the man and woman tiles. Instead of saying "tattoo" or "getting shells" I just tell people you can "push down" the tile and activate the left side once a game and in Phase C you can active the right side or whatever.

I really love this game and have been surprised so far at how easy its been to teach. The hard part is just how to combine all the actions and stuff to optimize points...which is the fun part right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write-up.

I found this game difficult to learn from the rules, and even on a solo play through it felt unintuitive and confusing.
But when I came to teach it to three others for a four player game, they seemed to grasp it more easily.

One of the main things I suggested when teaching was to think of the short, medium and long term goals.

Short are the points picked up during the turn; status track, temple, building ceremony spaces (I include jewellery tiles here even though they're scored at the end). Medium are the tasks - these are really useful in giving new players an Ida of what they need to achieve within a single round.

Long term goal are end-game condition, though these can be left until a turn or two in so as not to overload.

I taught the sequence of a turn with these three goals in mind, and explained god cards as they came up in each phase. I totally agree, the circular nature of how each element affects the others makes this game a real twister to get your head around.

I'm the main rules learner/game explainer in our group, and I inevitably lose the games I'm teaching - it's the sacrifice we make to the greater good of the games group :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lay
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Great write-up Manny, now I am interested in Bora Bora (being a Feld fan). >.<

Hiiiii, hahaha, miss meeting up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good work!

Our group always learns games directly from the rules. Someone reads them through while showing people what he's reading (so it's not just a read through that's hard to follow), and then we play once we get through the rule book. It took about a half hour to learn that way, so 20 minutes seems pretty reasonable once someone knows everything.

The only hiccup we had was figuring out what all the various components were what at the beginning! I hate rule sets that have the list of game components without accompanying pictures, especially when there are so many bits as Bora Bora has!

But once we determined what all the bits were called, it was smooth sailing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, organizing the explanation is the hard part. I think the best way to approach it is to first teach how the dice mechanics/ action selection works and then apply that to each individual part of the board (for example, showing that a dice with a result of 3 can purchase the woman tiles 3,2, and 1 if you take the woman action). From there, teach the supplemental stuff such as how to modify your rolls using the cards, how things combo, the different part of the player board, and the different overarching goals of the game (end game bonuses, green task tiles, jewelry).

If you teach in this order, when someone asks "why?", you can essentially teach it backwards, ie: "You rolled a 5, which allows you to do these actions, which allows you to place this on your board, which gives you this many points, and allows you to finish this task tile."

I hope this makes sense... haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Gracia
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ianenriquelay wrote:
Great write-up Manny, now I am interested in Bora Bora (being a Feld fan). >.<

Hiiiii, hahaha, miss meeting up.

Hey what's up Ian! Wish you were here to play Bora Bora with me. You were the one that introduce me to Feld after all. I asked Megan if she wanted to play but she was in some tennis tournament somewhere.

Hope you are doing well! There will always be a welcome boardgame table for you here.

And yes Bora Bora is awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
Switzerland
Leysin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good write up!

The rule book is mediocre at best.

The online videos helped a lot more to pick up the rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.