Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I know that painting X-Wings in the style of Red Squadron is not really anything new, but I had some free time today and decided to go for it so I thought I'd show them off. I've also included engine repaints for the Falcon and Firespray. Enjoy! Please leave comments, critiques, etc. if you'd like.

**EDIT: I've included 2 Y-Wing repaints and added some new (better) pictures of the others

***EDIT 2: I've added pictures of my new Ralph McQuarrie A-Wing prototype repaint. Enjoy!

And the original just in case you need the reference

Luke in Red 5 with R2-D2:

Wedge in Red 2 with R2-?? (Basically a Red R2D2):

Biggs in Red 3 with R2-Q2 (Although it almost looks like an R5 because the silver top part of his dome reflects too much light for a good photo):

Lt. Lepira in Gold 4 with R5-F7

Lt. Ekelarc Yong in Gray 3 with R5-P9

The squadron so far all together:

Falcon Engine Repaint:

Firespray Engine Repaint:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex McKechnie
msg tools
mbmb
Re: Red Squadron X-Wings and Large Ships Repaints
Not too shabby! I really like the blue spiral you put on Luke's guns. I'd like to see a better pc of the Firespray, though, as your flash basically washed out the image so much I can hardly tell what you did.

--Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: X-Wing, Y-Wing and Large Ships Repaints
Thanks! I've updated this post with some Y-Wings and a new picture of the Firespray that hopefully shows off the paint a little better. I didn't do TOO much with that one; just had to add some color instead of the boring gray that the engine comes in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The more that I look at these, the more that I wished I had stripped them first. They look pretty shoddy in these zoomed in photos. In person, they're not bad, but man that factory paint is thick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
bravo!

you sir, have some steady hands. i love the piping touch ups on the y-wings, those are my favorite

i'm no painter, so i'm scared to touch anything as small as these minis. although, the falcon engine glow seems like something i can DIY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Juneau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dig those Y-Wing tubes HARD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Glad to hear that people like the Y- Wings! I almost didn't do the metallic tubes (in the interest of film accuracy) but they just seemed like they needed something. I'm most proud of the two R5 astromechs on the Y- Wings honestly. Go ahead and google image search them (R5-F7 and R5-P9). Not bad, right? Pretty sure I couldn't do that again on purpose no matter how hard I tried...lol

xBino wrote:
bravo!

i'm no painter, so i'm scared to touch anything as small as these minis. although, the falcon engine glow seems like something i can DIY

I say go for it! I started with the Falcon and it turned out okay so I decided that I was brave enough to do the rest. Good thing about the Falcon is that if you mess the engines up you can always just repaint them gray and pretend like it never happened! I'm sure it'll look good though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Original Posted edited to include my Prototype A-Wing repaint

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.