Hide
7 Posts

Small World Underground» Forums » Variants

Subject: Relics and Places change rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris George
msg tools
We prefer to play with only 1 relic/place tile per set of monsters (instead of 2, per the rules). The spaces are still desirable for conquering, but it's fewer extraneous details to keep up with. It's also easier to introduce new players to this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing about that is that relics are incredibly powerful. I personally don't think this change makes the game any easier to learn. I just say it takes 2 + 1 for every mountain or enemy.

For new players, I might consider playing without relics and only 1 monster on the designated spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris George
msg tools
I appreciate your comments! I actually introduced 3 new players to Underground just earlier this evening. All 3 had played the original Small World (but only once). They were able to understand relics and places very easily, but the number of relics and places never became burdensome. My first time playing Underground with my SO went much differently (we played to the rules and used 2 relic/place tiles per monster set). We had both previously played the original Small World, but found the number of relics and places much too difficult to keep up with, especially since we were simultaneously trying to learn and understand the new races and powers. Reducing to 1 tile per monster set really sped up our ability to read the board and to make decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, what is this with 2? The rules state, draw one relic/place per monster occupied region. Not pr. monster. You are supposed to use one relic/place for each monster occupied region, which you get when you conquer that region.

Am I missing something or misunderstanding you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Oh dear I think I see what's going on.

Page 5 of Rulebook wrote:
> Conquering a Monster occupied Region
Whenever a player successfully conquers a Region occupied
by Monster tokens, he immediately draws a marker from the
top of the stack of Popular Places & Righteous Relics
, and places
it into the Region just captured.
The player may also receive some additional markers or
tokens depending on the special powers or benefits granted
by that Place or Relic (see Righteous Relics & Popular Places
on p. 13-15).

I believe OP has misinterpreted the rules to mean that you have a Pile of Popular Places and a pile of Righteous Relics and when you conquer a monster occupied region you draw a tile from both piles ie "draws a marker from the top of the stack of Popular Places & Righteous Relics". At least this is the only way I can see to misinterpret the drawing RR/PP rules.

However there is just supposed to be 1 giant pile of Popular Places & Righteous Relics mixed together and when you conquer occupied region you draw 1 tile from that giant pile.

So in essence OP's "variant" is actually just the real rules and OP has actually been playing with a variant the whole time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris George
msg tools
Actually, you're right. I just checked the rules and it is only 1 per monster occupied region. I guess during our initial set up, we read the rules as 1 per monster and quickly found that to be too much, changed it and never looked back!

So, oops! My variant is not a variant at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phee, now Ican sleep again. Funny situatíon by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.