Roland W. est. 1984
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

what will be the difference? Will the strechgoal cthulhu stuff be again in the box? Will there be any scenarios for the strechgoals at kickstarter?

The stuff you can buy in addition is not kickstarter exclusive?

Still have my doubts that the system is just to simple...

ahhh one step away from backing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand the SoN expansion will almost be a stand-alone game with cards for the two new factions (investigators vs. mythos), while the kickstarter-bonus is an upgrade that lets you include Cthulhu stuff into the basegame experience (investgator heroes with spells and such for allies and evil cultists and such for the Germans). It seems the strechgoal has a 'reanimator' (Herbert West hero?) subtheme and if you want to expand on that, you can get the zombie extra sheet.
I am sure the designer will coment on this, he is quite active here at the moment...
It also seemed that it is not set in stone what will be in the stretchgoals at this point (scenarios?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clem seurat
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm here !!
So, the KS Exclusive A!C Stretch goal and More zombies add-on are both designed to be played with the base game. A scenario using the special terrain tiles (some of these tiles can be used in the regular game too)will be available (to download or directly included, we don't know yet).
These add-ons will also enhance Shadows over Normandie expansion.
This expansion can be played as stand alone but without the complete fun and efficiency the core base game will provide to it.
To make it clear, you can play with SoN as stand alone (with some arrangement) but HoN is highly recommanded to benefit from the whole SoN expansion.
If you want to focus on the Mythos part and don't really care about historical geek stuff, the £45 pledge + More zombies + SoN is what you need.

And now it's picnic time ! Today in Paris, the sun is shining after months of rain, grey skies and snow... Here are eggs with mayonnaise, red wine, paté, saucisson, quiches, cakes and pies !

have a nice sunday !
clem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DPG are really not the kind of guy to sell you the same thing twice, quite the contrary.

For what we know about A ! C expansion and add-ons.

- The A ! C free stretch goal (KS exclusive)
It will include several troops for investigators and Mythos side. A message from one of the auhtors informed us that they planned to put inside : Investigators, Badger's Commandos, MAd scientist, Deep-one commandos, mythos creatures (you can see a Migo on the update), spells, artefacts and mystical weapons, some zombies (different from £6,50 add-on), and 3 special terrain tiles.

- The "More zombies" add-on (KS exclusive)
It was created to allow us to have an army of zombies without taking all the slots in the A ! C stretch goal. It was also because they wanted to have more diversity and they thought it was stupid to buy a second A ! C stretch goal because it contain lot of unique heroes. It was said that most zombies will be different in this add-on. Apparently, they will have a master of zombie to control them. There is also some special terrain tokens (doomed house, mass graves)

Those two, A ! C free stretch goal and "More zombies" add-on, will expand the "Shadow over Normandie" expansion but you can also use them with the core box.

- "Shadow over Normandie" expansion
It's almost a stand alone (you can use most of it with just a downloadable version of the core rules). Definitly most, probably all, of it will be new and different from A ! C free stretch goal and "More zombies".

If you look at the bottom of the KS front page, you can have some informations (not a lot)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
R de Montesquiou wrote:
- The A ! C free stretch goal (KS exclusive)
It will include several troops for investigators and Mythos side. A message from one of the auhtors informed us that they planned to put inside : Investigators, Badger's Commandos, MAd scientist, Deep-one commandos, mythos creatures (you can see a Migo on the update), spells, artefacts and mystical weapons, some zombies (different from £6,50 add-on), and 3 special terrain tiles.
Has any decision been made on how many zombie units? because 2 or 3 zombie tiles makes a fairly weak apocalypse... yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric Balmat
Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
flag msg tools
Quote:
Still have my doubts that the system is just to simple...

From my understanding, after reading the full rules draft, the game is very similar to dust tactics in his approach (not mechanics): simple core rules, a lot of skills => very tactical result.

Chess rules are very simple ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Has any decision been made on how many zombie units? because 2 or 3 zombie tiles makes a fairly weak apocalypse... yuk

That's why they made "More zombies add-on" for those that really want a zombie apocalypse.

Also, DPG wrote that the Dust stretch goal will have also some zombies.

Personnaly, when I think Lovecraft, zombie is not what come in mind first (or at all). So I'm quite happy like that, I have both options (Zombie apocalypse & Lovecraft mythos).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
R de Montesquiou wrote:
Wulf Corbett wrote:
That's why they made "More zombies add-on" for those that really want a zombie apocalypse.
But if they're going to include zombies at all, a couple are of little use. Better without them & something else instead.
Quote:
Also, DPG wrote that the Dust stretch goal will have also some zombies.
Possibly, but the only Dust tactics zombie units I've seen have been significantly enhanced. They'll have weird stats.
Quote:
Personnaly, when I think Lovecraft, zombie is not what come in mind first (or at all).
Agreed, which is why I'm wondering why they're in there at all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One could argue that Lovecraft wrote the first modern zombie horror story...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ckremer2 wrote:
One could argue that Lovecraft wrote the first modern zombie horror story...
Herbert West? Yes, but those zombies didn't go out onto battlefields. It depends a lot on how tough these zombies are compared to humans, and how they're spawned by scenarios. But zombies that don't outnumber the humans don't look too impressive on a battlefield...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Borrall
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
@Evil Puck: I think where the system is very simple (one die roll for everything, not a lot of number-crunching, simplified fire and LOS rules) the depth of this game is in the sheer number of options you will face when you hit the field. Let's take a simple meeting engagement of 200 points per side. (A really simple scenario with a single platoon each.) If I play the Americans, I have to decide whether I'm bringing an Armored platoon (great on the offense, but can't enter buildings or some restricted movement areas), or a rifle platoon (sacrificing the heavy guns and armor of the tank for the slower but more tactically flexible infantry.) Say I take the infantry. Now I have to pick what my support choices are. Do I bring an extra squad of infantry, thereby doubling the number of infantry units I have to move? Or do I leave them behind and take a sherman tank as back-up? Or maybe I aim middle of the road and take the mortar or .30 MG squads? Okay, whatever I chose there, now I'm looking at my OTHER support slot. I could bring a jeep to scout forward terrain, or maybe an armoured car to beef up my infantry a little and speed up my advance. Halftracks could be good. THEN I move to the left of my recruitment template, and now I'm picking things like extra ammo, ambush units, or maybe veteran status. Then I'm picking heroes with whatever is left. Let's say I decide to bring Clint. All by himself, he gets his own order each turn, AND he can take that activation ANY TIME IN THE TURN, EVEN ON THE ENEMY'S TURN.shake
So the best part of this game, IMHO, is that every single time you play, you're going to be faced with a different set of tactical choices in battle based on what decisions you and your opponent made about your initial force make-up. That was the thing about FoW I always loved was trying to decide which parts of my 3rdFJ army were heading to the table each battle, based on what I knew about the scenario.
BTW, all of the choices I discussed above are in the basic game box. If you back at a level where you're getting stretch goals, the number of pre-game choices gets exponentially better. While most unti options are limited by the mechanic of having to match certain color symbols on the sides of the pieces, a LOT of the gear and support choices have a flat gray band on one side, meaning you can trade them out from platoon to platoon. I've mentioned before here on BGG that, for my initial 90 pound pledge, I'm ending up with 6 American platoons, 5 Germans, and (right now) a British platoon. (As well as the Cthulhu and Dust stuff, which you don't have to use if you don't want. snore) I added the scenario pack, so now by the time it's all done, I'm looking at having 8 American platoons, 8 German platoons, 2 or 3 British platoons, and who knows what else if it keeps going up.
Sorry to rant. I get really excited when I think about the sheer number of options I will have to fiddle with. I can't find many people to play FoW with me, and I have to schedule games weeks in advance. With this, my local Friday night game store board game night will be the perfect forum for this. The flashy pieces and terrain boards will draw in new players, coupled with the ease of learning the game and the speed of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark feldman
United States
post falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Well, the boss isn't always right. But, he's always the boss.
mbmbmbmbmb
very well put Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland W. est. 1984
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh men... i backed....

CURSE YOU ALL!

I am a student. I should not have backed it for 104 Pound...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, been working on the selection of what's in the Achtung! Cthulhu Kickstarter this week with our team - it's going to be awesome and a nice slice of Cthulhu - of course some zombies as who doesn't love a few of them but we've got some cool creatures in there. Just wait for the Shadows Over Normandie box though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Borrall
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
@Chris Burch: you guys rock so much. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. If I was still roleplaying, I'd definitely back Achtung Cthulhu as well; it looks like an amazing idea. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
oldparkourhippie wrote:
@Chris Burch: you guys rock so much. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. If I was still roleplaying, I'd definitely back Achtung Cthulhu as well; it looks like an amazing idea. Good luck!

Well don't worry you can join us on the table with Heroes of Normandie, I can't wait to see the final box it will be amazing! I'm a long time fan of strategy games, starting when I was 8 with Steve Jackson's Ogre so this is a big love for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Muller de Schongor
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
R de Montesquiou wrote:
Wulf Corbett wrote:
But if they're going to include zombies at all, a couple are of little use. Better without them & something else instead.

Well, if me deciphering skill is still working, we could have 8 units of regular zombies, and something like 2 hardened zombies units.
I sincerely hope Dust will come WITHOUT zombie unit, using this add-on to play them. I mean, you have cool walker, heavy-armoured rangers, flying troopers and cyborg Gorillas...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clem seurat
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But what about the special Dust zombies with their "panzer gloves" ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Boyd
United States
flag msg tools
Yup, that's me. By John Kovalic.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have preferrred to see the British troops before either zombies or Cthulu, but that's just me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.