Subject: Impressions after first game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Snoddy
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I had a first game yesterday just to get to grips with some of the rules. There were only two of us so we only used the goblins and dwarf armies, which I know is not an official way to play. First off I would like to say I totally disagree with those who are finding fault with the components. I think they are universally excellent, nice big chunky counters on a big map.

My main question is on the 12 turn limit. Is this meant to be used in general play or only in tournament type play? It seemed almost impossible to threaten the enemy capital in this time. I am sure this was due to our ignorance of the game rather than any fault. What are the strategies to get troops quickly towards the enemy capital? Building forward cities is obviously one. Is getting teleport spells almost essential? As you can't move through enemy units deploying speed bump single warriors around the capital seems a good way to stop any fast movement towards it by anything except flying units. Am I missing something?

Anybody care to give a general strategy guide for one or more nation?

One rules query. We played that research costs did increase when inflation hit as they are not mentioned in the excluded items, was this right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Bogucki
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tim,

All costs are affected by inflation including research.

We normally never go 12 turns when we play. I have heard some feedback on these forums similar to yours from new players, all though one new player mentioned that they played twice and both games went only 9 or so turns. I think it has to do with familiarity of the rules, but having said this there is no reason why folks can't extend the turn limit to 14. I'm definitely considering adding that option into the official rules if we print a 2nd edition, only because a couple of newer players have commented on it.

I might also suggest playing the quick play variant, while it only has a 9 turn limit, players start with expansion cities and a small army (6 or 7 infantry and 30 crowns to use before the game starts).

In terms of strategy for going after the enemy more quickly, I think you touched on some of the key points such as teleporting, cavalry type units, the speed spell with chariot. You shouldn't need to use these types of strategies though to complete a game within 12 turns. Even if you want to slow march an army it can be done within the 12 turns, but it has to be done efficiently. You must start it process as quickly as you possibley can. The very first turn you create an expansion city, take the money you have saved from the previous turn (most of it), combined with your current collection and create a large army.

Hopefully we will have a 2nd edition at some point and we can change a few things up based on some of the comments and ideas here. Even though we thoroughly play tested this for years and with over 100 people (at 3 different World Boardgaming Championships - WBC, and many other cons) we still get feedback and interesting questions that make me think we could tweak things just a little bit to make them flow a little better. I think adding an optional 14 turn limit is not a bad idea for folks that want to play it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.