Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is the wizard starting book illegal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
I've counted and recounted the list and deck way too many times and always end up on 121.
Is there a misprint/ other mistake in the list?

I know I could just remove a random level 1 spell to bring it down to 120, but I'm interested in what other people think.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hvazadi wrote:
I've counted and recounted the list and deck way too many times and always end up on 121.
Is there a misprint/ other mistake in the list?

I know I could just remove a random level 1 spell to bring it down to 120, but I'm interested in what other people think.


Nobody really cares as the starting spell books are for learning not competing?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Engel

Illinois
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
Hvazadi wrote:
I've counted and recounted the list and deck way too many times and always end up on 121.
Is there a misprint/ other mistake in the list?

I know I could just remove a random level 1 spell to bring it down to 120, but I'm interested in what other people think.


Nobody really cares as the starting spell books are for learning not competing?



This is a poor excuse. The Rule Book states the rules and doesn't mention that their starting spellbooks are "exceptions" just for beginners. They're meant to be starting places for beginners, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be legal. As I mentioned in my other post about the Forcemaster, new players probably use these spellbooks as a place to start making their own, and the easiest way to do that is to remove cards you don't like and add in cards you do of equal cost. If the original spellbooks have the wrong totals to start with then the new spellbooks will too if you don't count it out specifically.

As for the Wizard specifically, I don't have it in front of me right now, but I'd make sure you're not counting any Novice spells as double. Given that the Forcemaster was off by 3, it wouldn't surprise me if the Wizard was a little off too, but just something I originally forgot about when counting them up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
leshrac55 wrote:


As for the Wizard specifically, I don't have it in front of me right now, but I'd make sure you're not counting any Novice spells as double. Given that the Forcemaster was off by 3, it wouldn't surprise me if the Wizard was a little off too, but just something I originally forgot about when counting them up.


Novice spells counted (only Leather Boots and Decoy).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
leshrac55 wrote:
Fwing wrote:
Hvazadi wrote:
I've counted and recounted the list and deck way too many times and always end up on 121.
Is there a misprint/ other mistake in the list?

I know I could just remove a random level 1 spell to bring it down to 120, but I'm interested in what other people think.


Nobody really cares as the starting spell books are for learning not competing?



This is a poor excuse. The Rule Book states the rules and doesn't mention that their starting spellbooks are "exceptions" just for beginners. They're meant to be starting places for beginners, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be legal. As I mentioned in my other post about the Forcemaster, new players probably use these spellbooks as a place to start making their own, and the easiest way to do that is to remove cards you don't like and add in cards you do of equal cost. If the original spellbooks have the wrong totals to start with then the new spellbooks will too if you don't count it out specifically.


I agree with all of this and I still don't care. If I'm playing a friend who has made a mistake and has 1 point too many in his spellbook it doesn't bother me in the slightest, either.

Now if I'm playing competitively then I'll insist on checking the legality of both decks. I doubt I'd run into any of the beginner lists in such an environment.

Is it an error? Yes.
Is it a shame that it went to print? Yes.
Is it an IMPORTANT error? Not to my mind.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you got a second opinion on your calculations?

Checkout the MW Deckbuilder file in this forum and see if they reach the same result.

Also, are you using the spellbooks in the 1st edition or 2nd edition? The 2nd edition corrected some issues with the 1st edition, but I don't recall the spellbook total being off.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.