Subject: Ambush and Shield of the Fallen Kings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you use Ambush (+2 to the next block card played) with Shield of the Fallen Kings' second ability (Block 4 against each of two different enemies), do you get Block 6 against one enemy and Block 4 against the other, or Block 6 against each?

This came up in a game last night and we didn't know how to resolve it, so just flipped a coin and carried on. But it'd be useful to know in future

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the non-broken effect of the Shield of the Fallen Kings become "Block 8, or two Block 6 against different attacks."

Ambush itself states "+2 to your first Block card of any type" (let us assume you will block, italics my emphasis as well). It is not increasing the first Block; it is increasing the Block values on the first Block card played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jebbie wrote:
I would say the non-broken effect of the Shield of the Fallen Kings become "Block 8, or two Block 6 against different attacks."

Ambush itself states "+2 to your first Block card of any type" (let us assume you will block, italics my emphasis as well). It is not increasing the first Block; it is increasing the Block values on the first Block card played.

This.

Ambush states "+2 to the next block card", so you get +6 against 2 different enemies.

If they wanted to limit Ambush to just the next block, it'd be written "+2 to the next block" without the word card (and this would include even blocks from Units/Skills).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a fair interpretation, but it's not really clear what "+2 to the card" means, hence my asking. It could mean "+2 Block overall", or it could mean "+2 to all printed Block values".

"+X to an Attack card" is often used in the game to distinguish "Attack from a card" from "Attack from any source", and if one were to assume that this is why Ambush is printed the way it is, the "Block 8, or Block 6 and Block 4" interpretation seems reasonable. But as I say, it doesn't seem that clear to me which interpretation is more appropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think "+2 to the next Block card" increases every Block value on the card. It adds +2 to the card. If you have a card that gives Block 4, and Block 4, then when you add +2 to it, you get Block 6, and Block 4. You can choose which block to increase, but you're still only adding +2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My rationale is this:

To get +2 only to the first Block that we make (or Attack, it's the same), Ambush should read +2 to your first Block from a card (in order to rule out Units and Skills). So when we use the artifact, we get Block 8 against a single enemy, or Block 6 against the first and Block 4 against the second.

I agree though that they couldn't oversee during playtest this particular combo (since Shield of Fallen Kings wasn't in the original game), and there's a chance that Ambush is intended to boost just the first Block in this case.

Nonetheless, unless Philip/Paul/Vlaada chime in, I'd play the way I described before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.