BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How much does finding local players influence your purchases? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Juneau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I browsed many users' collections and regularly find people who have games in the hundreds! This is bound to happen in a hobby that can be enjoyed at many different ages, for decades on end. It must always be a no-brainer to accomodate any configuration of players, of many inclinations and tastes, for any time frame. I wish I was the owner of such collection.

I started visiting BGG in December 2012 and bought (and received partly as gifts) X-Wing Miniatures and android: netrunner, 2 popular, hot items. I did not stop myself from buying in fully into these games, because they have been consistently selling out for the full 4 months I've been aware of them.

However, despite this, the players local to me, who buy these games en masse, don't advertise themselves online in the places I've looked at all. Or, they've shown interest but don't follow through with actually meeting. I have to assume they're content playing with their private circles of friends and family and have no interest to seek out opponents out there. The FLGS stores that are local to me only do MTG and Yugi-Oh events monthly and don't seem to organize play for any other games. My other 2 options that I've tested is 1 group who's into a super wide variety of board games (which is super fine and dandy as is, I've met them and will meet them again) but hold very limited interest in the games I've bought. The other group is more into WW2 miniatures wargaming (again, nothing against that and I will try some of those in due time) with 1-2 members interested in X-Wing as a minor side game. I totally understand how veteran wargamers, used to a rich set of rules and large armies would prefer to stick to their solid strategy usual choices and only see X-Wing, a much simpler game, as a fun occasional side.

What I'm getting at is that I wish there was some organized play around here for X-Wing and Android: netrunner. There are FFG regional tournaments going all over the place in North America, except here. There's this hidden pool of players for sure near me, but nothing to catalyze us together. Is this a cue for me to start something??

Because of all these difficulties, I'm completely stopped from even considering to buy more games that would otherwise interest me, because they'd be as tough to find opponents for, especially if they're even more involved in terms of gameplay time (like Mage Wars) or less popular (Summoner Wars).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Male
United Kingdom
Woburn Sands
Beds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many good games that finding a group that plays exactly what you have is difficult. Our games club usually has 10-20 people each week, but new games get played a few times when they first come out and then turn up sporadically over the following years if they are good. There is an implicit understanding that not everyone can play their favourite game every week. When new members join they usually will join whatever is happening for the first few weeks, before they start to bring in and arrange their own games. I suggest that you try your local games group, and if they are a friendly bunch you will soon have an opportunity to play your own games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy what I know my husband I will play. If I can find others who want to play, that's a bonus. But I won't buy something I know he won't like on the hope that I can find someone else to play. That would be wasting money, to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Demento
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Ask if you can post a flyer with your contact information on your FLGS's bulletin board if they have one. Also posting a flyer right under the spot where the game is stocked can bring attention to a set game night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony L.
United States
South Lyon
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say quite a bit. The group I'm with has anywhere from 5-8 people a week. We seem to be attracted to Co-op games. Unfortunately with Co-op games when you realize a particular strategy, for example Pandemic, the replayability of the game withers.

Always looking for the next best thing on co-ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, this is one of the infuriating aspects of this hobby.

I used to buy a lot of various games that interested me. One of the reasons so many of those games went unplayed was because it seemed like no one around me wanted to play them. Most of the titles from those early days that I sold or traded away were 3p+. It was a bummer to see so many cool games and not be able to play them!

Now my new buying is restricted to games that acceptably play 2p, family games I can play with non-gamers, or 3p games that I really REALLY want. Oh yeah, there are games I'd love to own, but there's ultimately no point because they'd just sit there for six months to a year and only get played once at most.

IOW, if you can't find people to play these games with you'll have to adjust your expectations and buying behavior. Unless, of course, money is of no concern. In which case, buy away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a lot of games that I thought looked great, but have never played because no one in any of the local game groups agrees. It is frustrating but I have started to consider this before buying games. Sometimes I still buy something I know I will probably never play, because it looks too good. But generally yes - I only buy what I expect to have an audience for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ruiz
United States
Calexico
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I we don't have a local group (because there's is none) so we usually (my GF & I) buy games that we will enjoy. sometimes we make blind buys hoping to like it and so far it have worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the same boat as you! I can't find anyone at my local meetup to play Dominion with me. The reason why I got the game in the first place was to play with my family. The good days didn't last for long. One day my sister-in-law just got tired of losing to my brother and his jeering and taunting didn't help either. My sister-in-law just slams down the cards one night and said she is done with the game.... I am now stuck with the game and only my girlfriend will play with me from time to time like maybe once a month.

I still buy games, now I am more careful about them. It has to be good 2p game for my girlfriend first since she is now my primary gaming partner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have Dice Will Travel
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I think I'm among a very few that has a dedicated group of people to hang around with that plays a lot what I have and own most the games we often play.

On the road however I try to take a variety if I can. My purchases are normally influenced by my own preference rather than what local players play. I really don't have too much trouble finding people to play with and on the flip side I can easily get pulled into playing a game that I never owned let alone heard about it. Its a strange balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wheels
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm lucky in that I've got a group of friends who play board games but seem quite happy to play whatever I buy (I'm the main purchaser of games in the group, by choice). As a result, I generally pick up a game if I think it'll be interesting, as I should be able to find opponents.

However, having local opponents does influence my decision to buy games such as Android: Netrunner, where it's a much better experience when opponents take the time to build their own decks etc. I haven't yet managed to rope any friends into investing into one of these games, so I make sure there is a local scene before I decide to buy in myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.