Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Lebo
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The C&C Ancients board doesn't lay very flat out of the box and for those of you that either do not own a sheet of plexiglass or just don't care to use one, you should know that the boards in the Memoir and Battle Cry series are compatible. If you don't own either of those games, a better and cheaper alternative is to purchase the Memoir 44 Winter/Desert board which is sold seperately.

Although the hexes are slightly smaller in size and do not contain the letter/number reference, the Memoir 44 Desert Board does work very well with C&C Ancients. Of course you could always use the regular Memoir 44 or Battle Cry board, but the Desert Board is a great match for this game.

The terrain pieces fit perfectly on the Desert Board despite the hexes being smaller in size, and the color match is close. More importantly, the board lays flat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard (haven't seen) that the flank dividing lines are in different locations - wouldn't that affect things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The center section on the C&C:A is 1/2 hex narrower on each side (the flanks are wider). I plan to use a light colored pencil to mark my M'44 board so I can use it with both games.

*edited for asthetics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lebo
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for noticing the flank lines. I haven't had a chance to play the game yet (took 3 days just to get all the stickers on) and I was just counting hexes. The creases on the Memoir 44 board is almost on the right spot, but not quite. Apart from marking the board the only other alternative I can see is to place temporary markers at the edges of the board to mark the correct location of the flank line and use a ruler during play if necessary. Ultimately, I may just end up buying plexliglass. Maybe GMT will add a deluxe board to their P500 list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gently did a reverse fold on my board and it lies perfectly flat.

Another suggestion I use frequently. Use a very small piece of blue painter's tape to hold down the problem edges. I have used it on other boards with great success. Just be careful to keep it off raw edges and to peel it off gently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Would a Memoir 44 Desert board fit into the C&C Ancients box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it doesn't fit..*sigh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rich wrote:
Although the hexes are slightly smaller in size and do not contain the letter/number reference, the Memoir 44 Desert Board does work very well with C&C Ancients.

I don't have my copy yet, but are the starting positions for the units in the various scenarios referenced by letter/number? Or with an illustration (as they are in Memoir and BattleCry)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Ferrency
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:

I don't have my copy yet, but are the starting positions for the units in the various scenarios referenced by letter/number? Or with an illustration (as they are in Memoir and BattleCry)?

All of the scenarios which came with the game (including P500 bonus scenarios) provide reference illustrations, similar to M'44 and BC. It would be a complete pain in the butt to specify terrain tile placement without a picture.

So, the reference numbers... there are reference numbers? I didn't even notice them. I'd say they have no relevance at this point in time unless you feel compelled to log your plays. Did I miss reference numbers on the cards as well, I wonder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Adey
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought of this. The problem will be that the terrain tiles in Ancients are going to be too big for the hexes on a Mem44 map. You could use the Mem44 terrain of course, but are there sufficient types to make the cross over?

And no the desert map does not fit in the Ancients box - I tried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew the Memoir hexes were 2mm smaller than Battle Cry. And that appears to be the case here. So if that bothers you, use the Battle Cry map. If that bothers you put pexiglass over the Ancients map.

You know, if all Richard Borgs recent games had been published by Eagles Games, the maps would be 36" X 48" mounted maps with 3.5" hexes and all the plastic minis we could hope for. It would be good for us gamers and Eagle's wouldn't have gotten a reputation for inadequately playtested games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Sergerie
Canada
La Prairie
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Williams
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Maybe GMT will add a deluxe board to their P500 list.

Actually, the board included IS a GMT deluxe board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct-- it is not as thick as some game boards but is not regular map stock either.

I also did the "reverse fold" and it lays flat just fine.

By the way, here's a terrain tip if you want things to be even more visual.

You have many more terrain tiles in the game than you will ever need for a given scenario. You can use the "extras" for some 3-D effect.

Leave river tiles as is. Ditto camps. Possibly ditto "rough."

For woods tiles, add one additional tile below them (out of sight, it just makes them taller)

For hills, add 2 (or 3 if you like) additional tiles, to make them taller still.

For the "impassable hills" scenario, add even more tiles-- certainly more than the "normal" hills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
By the way, here's a terrain tip if you want things to be even more visual.

You have many more terrain tiles in the game than you will ever need for a given scenario. You can use the "extras" for some 3-D effect.

Leave river tiles as is. Ditto camps. Possibly ditto "rough." For woods tiles, add one additional tile below them (out of sight, it just makes them taller). For hills, add 2 (or 3 if you like) additional tiles, to make them taller still. For the "impassable hills" scenario, add even more tiles-- certainly more than the "normal" hills.

Or use Heroscape tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
When Battle Cry came out I bought a couple 8x10 pieces of 2mm Craft foam in tan and green and cut them into the correct size hexes as "Hill Pads." I think one of my BC photos show them in use.

I never wrote any rules for it but one can build hills of different heights that way and even Wooded Hills or Rough Hills.

THen M'44 came out. M'44 hexes are 2mm smaller so I laboriously trimmed 20 or 30 Hill Pads by 2mm.

But I never thought of using the extra tiles.

Duh, spend spend spend...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not make a amphibious landing with Ancients a la 'Troj'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.