Hide
7 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Locations which are Immune to player card effects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Figo 3434
msg tools
a) Can locations that are immune to player card effects be targeted by Thror's key?
b) Can locations in the discard pile that are immune to player card effects be targeted by Shadow of the past or A watchful peace?
c) I guess you can't put progress tokens on immune locations via Blade of Gondolin, but how about Legolas' Response?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nehima
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
EDIT: I searched through the official FAQ and found some more detailed answers.
Figo3434 wrote:
a) Can locations that are immune to player card effects be targeted by Thror's key?
Obviously not. That's what "Immune to player card effects" is supposed to accomplish.

Figo3434 wrote:
b) Can locations in the discard pile that are immune to player card effects be targeted by Shadow of the past or A watchful peace?

I don't think you can use Watchful Peace. Not sure about Shadow of the Past though...

EDIT:

Quote:
Q: Can I use Fortune or Fate (CORE 54) to put Beorn (OHUH 5) into play from a player's discard pile, even though he is immune to player card effects?
A: Yes. A hero's ability is only active while it is in play. Therefore, Beorn is not immune to player card effects (such as Fortune or Fate) while he is in the discard pile.

I think the same applies for cards in the encounter discard pile. So yes, you could use Shadow of the Past.

Figo3434 wrote:
c) I guess you can't put progress tokens on immune locations via Blade of Gondolin, but how about Legolas' Response?

Not sure about that one.

EDIT:
Quote:
Q: If there is an active location with the text "Immune to player card effects" when Legolas participates in an attack that destroys an enemy, do I place 2 progress on the active location or the quest?
A: No. When Legolas' ability would put progress on the current quest, if there is an active location, it puts progress on that location instead. If that location is immune to player card effects, it ignores Legolas' ability. Therefore, no progress would be placed on the active location or the current quest.

I suppose the same applies to Blade of Gondolin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nehima wrote:
Figo3434 wrote:
Obviously not. That's what "Immune to player card effects" is supposed to accomplish.

This is half true. It's been ruled (sorry, I don't remember where the ruling was posted) that cards can be attached to locations that are immune to player card effects, it's just that if the attached card does something to the location, then the effect is cancelled. For example, you could attach Thror's Key to a location that is immune, and the Key would essentially do nothing to that location. However, you could also attach an Ancient Mathom to a location immune to card effects, and the Mathom will still trigger when the location leaves play because its effect does not target the location itself (I think).

I'm not entirely clear on the details of this ruling (and honestly find the whole thing rather counter-intuitive), so hopefully someone else can correct me if I got anything wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Therefore, no progress would be placed on the active location or the current quest.

That's harsh! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figo 3434
msg tools
Thank you for answering. About Legolas' ability, I forgot that the FAQ already commented on that question, I think I've read it before. Was not sure whether heroes are considered "player cards", though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
nehima wrote:
Figo3434 wrote:

This is half true. It's been ruled (sorry, I don't remember where the ruling was posted) that cards can be attached to locations that are immune to player card effects, it's just that if the attached card does something to the location, then the effect is cancelled. For example, you could attach Thror's Key to a location that is immune, and the Key would essentially do nothing to that location. However, you could also attach an Ancient Mathom to a location immune to card effects, and the Mathom will still trigger when the location leaves play because its effect does not target the location itself (I think).

I'm not entirely clear on the details of this ruling (and honestly find the whole thing rather counter-intuitive), so hopefully someone else can correct me if I got anything wrong.

Thought i would update this since I went searching for the answer.

From FAQ

Q: Can I play an attachment on an enemy or location that is immune to player card effects.

A: No. Playing an attachment on a card is a form of targeting, and cards with "immune to player card effects" cannot be targeted by player cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alogos teeheehee
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
I don't remember where the ruling was posted) that cards can be attached to locations that are immune to player card effects, it's just that if the attached card does something to the location, then the effect is cancelled.

It's been true for a time, from memory, I would say between faq 1.4 and 1.6 didn't keep an history, but the immunity definition was perfected over more than one faq.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.