Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi - I just got WoW for a b-day present, but I'm unsure if I want to keep it, or change it for WotR.

I have tried WoW on an earlier ocasion and found it decent, not bad - but not sublime (Like Twilight Imperium which I love to death).

So for the people who have, or have tried both - which to you prefere and why?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Astyaro
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CHANGE IT FOR WOTR!!!!! Of Course
Did you expect another answer in this forum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
Clarification
marqzen wrote:
Hi - I just got WoW for a b-day present, but I'm unsure if I want to keep it, or change it for WotR.

Um, er, what is WoW?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
World of Warcraft

Regarding reply -well - I was hoping that someone playing both could offer some insight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played both, and really like both. They are totally different games. WoW (World of Warcraft) is a team based RPG-like game, while WoTR is a war-game. WoW is really designed for 4 or 6 players, but can be played with less, while WotR is designed for 2, although can be played with up to 4. If you like building up characters (like an RPG), the you want WoW. If you like wargames, then you want WotR. If you are playing most often with 2, you want WotR. If you play with bigger groups, then you want WoW. If you are very impatient, and hate downtime, then don't get WoW (it's got quite a bit of downtime - although manageable by patient people, while WotR has very low downtime). Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
tornadog wrote:
get the real thing the MMORPG on the PC, a bit expensive yes, but a much much better experience than the boardgame.

That's what I'm afraid of. My brother went through a rough time with his wife because of too much time playing Everquest - so I want to try to stay away - I'd likely play the PC version way too much. Besides, I sit in front of a computer all day long, it's the last thing I need to be doing in the evening. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'm sure its not as role-playingy as WoW, but War of the Ring does have a role playing element. Of course you're pretty limited in what characters you can play and what kind of interactions they have ... but the threat of ignominious companion death is very real, so it does make for more fun when they actually do make good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.