Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi - I just got WoW for a b-day present, but I'm unsure if I want to keep it, or change it for WotR (War of the Ring).

I have tried WoW on an earlier ocasion and found it decent, not bad - but not sublime (Like Twilight Imperium which I love to death).

So for the people who have, or have tried both - which to you prefere and why?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both WoW and WotR. I also have Twilight Imperium which I too love to death.

Comparing WoW and WotR is difficult so I think I'll just give my own description of each.

I have only played WotR twice since picking it up a few weeks ago and love it dearly. It's a great 2 player game that involves lots of strategy. I know some of you make gawk at this comparison but I liken it to Axis and Allies but a fantasy version. Although there is much more randomness in WotR (which I love). You very much feel as though you are fighting the other player for control of the board.

WoW is more of a multiplayer game (over 2 player for this description). WoW seems best played with 4 players in my opinion and involves quite a bit less strategy that you might think from looking at the game. If you are turned off by random-like gameplay then run for the hills because 21 dice come with the game and you pretty much roll them all over and over again all game long. I'm not such a big fan of that. You also don't really get that feel of playing against the other team as much. You basically take your turn and then they take theirs and you hope they roll crappy.

So in conclusion, I'd go with WotR. Especially with the cool looking new expansion that is coming out. Unless you're looking for something that involves more than 2 players then I'd go with WoW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Wow:tB, Twilight Imperium 3, Axis & Allies Revised, War of the Ring, Axis & Allies: D-day and more games like those. From the above games, WoW playes completely different since it is much more like a RPG then a strategy game. You only control a single component during the game (your character) and are limited to two actions per faction turn, as opposed to above games where you can interact with all (or most) of your components during a single turn.

WoW is much more like the classic Heroquest, FFG's Runebound or D&D the Boardgame. You play a single character, defeating monsters and going on quests. If you like that sort of game, then Wow is for you. If you dont like those kind of games, you are most likely better off with War of the Ring or Axis & Allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thing is whenever I would have 6 players I would always go for TI3. However for 3-4 players I might prefere WoW.

WoW has something going for which I kind of like. Its more easy going. Often the games we have and play are pretty hardcore strategy and concentration games. Nothing wrong with that, but WoW would be nice for an alternative. We also have Doom in our group which is kind of the same easy going kind of game.

I think to a large degree I would prefere WotR's style of game. But I have not tried it, so I cant be too sure.

Damn its a tough choice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Helvard
Denmark
Aarhus C
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the turnoff about WoW is the lack of player interaction. In the 2 games I've tried so far, the only PvP was the mandatory after turn 30. And in order for the game not to last 8 hours, one side do their level up and character management while the other side takes their turn. And after the management, the rest of the opponent's turn is used to plan your own next turn. And there's not really much else to do while the opposing faction takes its turn.

So for me, most of the time WoW feels like a solitaire game (with your allies).

I highly recommend WotR, it is a beautiful, theme-drenched game, with many tough strategic and tactic choices. It is possible to play with 3 or 4 players, but I don't recommend it, 2 players is the optimal.

The only downside is the price....600 Kr i think. If you're ever in Århus, pop in, and we can take a game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
WOTR is one of my favourite games. I normally play it with 3-4 players, although we ususally team up using the 2 player rules - there's enough going on in that game for there to still be plenty for each person to think about. It's more similar to Twilight Imperium than WOW is and is on a par with it in terms of comlpexity (although if anything it's slightly easier as you don't have the constantly changing turn order to deal with).

As far as WOW is concerned, I normally like those RPG-style boardgames but I wasn't taken with World Of Warcraft at all. There's just far too much downtime between players turns and although it seems as though it's set up with the intention of lots of player interaction there's hardly any reason for you to do so. It's got some potentially good ideas but in my opinion it doesn't quite work.

I'd go for War Of The Ring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Thomas - I'm from copenhagen, moving to Odense feb 1st. So I doubt i'll be coming to Århus anytime soon.

Questions:

I also found the lack og team interaction sad. So much that after playing I figured that if I would play again it would be as one team, cooparative. That would eliminate the downtime, and the game would not change much from the regular experience. Is this a viable way of playing?

Why isn't WotR good when playing 3 or 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
Why isn't WotR good when playing 3 or 4?

It's not that it isn't good. But clearly, it has been designed for two players. So, at three or four players, you can't help but having the feel this is kind of an afterthought, a tweak in the rules so to allow such a combination. And indeed, reading said rules, everything is presented as a two-player game, with the modifications when it is not the case explained at the very end of the rulebook.
When you think of it, it is somewhat logical. It's a wargame, and there ony are two big sides in this story: the Free People of Middle-Earth, and Sauron and his friends. Playing with more than two players forces you to split one side; not that the two players of one side would fight each other, they still play cooperative, but rather one is leading Sauron's forces and the other Saruman's or something.

My idea is to have a game for every combination of players. Like, for example and keeping with FFG games, WotR for two players, WoW for six, and Descent in between, or something like that.

Oh and by the way, if you're concerned about downtime in WoW, check out some of Mike Z contributions: he's really good at convincing people this is not an issue And I do believe it gets less and less of a problem as you play the game more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Corwin1980 wrote:
Oh and by the way, if you're concerned about downtime in WoW, check out some of Mike Z contributions: he's really good at convincing people this is not an issue

I've been convincing people?

Mike Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both games, and have a strong love for WotR. Wow has totally failed to capture my imagination. There is virtually no strategy beyond your selection of talents and powers. You can almost play WoW blindly, following the same strategy everytime. You fight the creatures appropriate for your level, and just try to minimize your downtime. There isnt much more to it then that. One of the problems with WoW is that there isnt really a way to screw up. Dying is a temporary, and not terribly significant setback, and there really isnt anything that can go wrong other then dying. Since you cant really screw up, its hard to truly excel. You can outpace the other team in character development, but ultimately, that may or may not have too much with the final outcome of the game.

WotR does have an element of luck, and though there are often some crazy dice results that can change the course of the game, no game has ever been decided by luck. There is always a strategic failure on someone's side that decided their downfall -- not one big throw of the dice. There is a sophisticated nuancing to your different options, and you have considerable control over the success or failure of your side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
Hi - I just got WoW for a b-day present, but I'm unsure if I want to keep it, or change it for WotR (War of the Ring).

I have tried WoW on an earlier ocasion and found it decent, not bad - but not sublime (Like Twilight Imperium which I love to death).

So for the people who have, or have tried both - which to you prefere and why?

Thanks

Change away. War of the Ring is a fantastic game, fast, tense, various strategies to pursue. I would like to add "clever" and "elegant" too, but just can't use those words anymore. The hopefully soon-to-be-released expansion will give lots more strategic options without ramping up the time or complexity.

I imagine I'll be playing War of the Ring for years to come - I just can't see myself playing World of Warcraft much at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.