Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Autumn 1939. Germany is at war with Poland, France and Britain. Slovakia went to Hungary. South Africa elected to join in with the rest of the commonwealth.

Set up and production. Poland forgot to put any units on the map but Germany graciously reminded us. She put an infantry and TAC in Danzig and the rest surrounding Warsaw. France had TAC and armour on the Rhine. 18 surf in the med and 9 on the Atlantic. Italy had her fleet and air force in Messina. Armour and cavalry in the mountains adjacent to Switzerland. Strong infantry facing the French. Germany concealed 6 armour beneath garrisons and infantry in the east with 10 TAC and landing craft. 4 visible panzers and 20 TAC next to Switzerland. Russia had a show of force around Leningrad but it was just stacks of weak troops. The tanks and TAC were all along the Carpathians ready to strike at Romania and Hungary. Garrisons lined the Caucasus Mountains. Britain placed all the discretionary units in the UK with fleets married up to ground troops for naval transport.

The political chit was Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. Russia and Germany cannot go to war for a year. Russia annexes the Baltic states. Poland will be partitioned between them. The neutrals look on in fear.
Offensive purchase. Russia South Front, France 2 attrition &GHQ, UK naval, Italy naval & attrition, Germany South & naval. He meant to put in Centre but picked up South by mistake.

Diplomacy. Germany down with Hungary and Romania. This cost 20 BRP for the allies. Italy up and down with Spain. Britain up with Sweden, Yugoslavia and Turkey. Hostile minors did nothing but grumble.

Sea zones. Poland sent her TAC to interdict the Baltic. Germany had no TAC available and chose not to send her fleet as it couldn’t shoot back and he hadn’t budgeted to go to sea. Konigsberg sea supply is cut. France raided the western med & Baltic. Italy controlled the western & central med with TAC. Britain raided the Baltic, controlled the eastern Atlantic, eastern med and the North Sea. I put 6 TAC rather than 1 over the North Sea because of the suspicious naval stack in Rostock. I was also fairly sure I wouldn't be fighting in the Netherlands because his panzers were in the alps.

Declarations of War. Russia on Romania and Hungary. Every neutral hates the communists now. Italy stays out of the war but allies with Germany. We ruled that German troops could enter Italy but not attack out of it. Germany on Switzerland.

Strategic Redeployment. The US sent BRP to France and Britain. France occupied the no man’s land on the Cote d’Azur and brought the colonial corps to Sedan. Britain shipped all 4 armoured corps and GHQ to Switzerland. I expected Italy to garrison Tripoli but he didn’t.

Operations. French GHQ was used to push the armour forwards but no attack was made to preserve the strength of the front line men. Germany took Zurich and immediately exploited towards Strasbourg but shattered on the fortifications defended by armour and TAC. At least he inflicted 5 hits on the French, not enough to flip an anything but it cost France 5 BRP. He was committed to a regular attack on Strasbourg across Rhine. The result was identical. Germany was entitled to a second exploitation and drew in fresh panzers but declined to attack.

Germany passed her naval offensive because of the numerous allied TAC over the Baltic and North Seas. Britain lifted 4 infantry to France, I thought about landing near Wilhelmshaven but it looked too strong. I forgot to send 5TAC to Lyons. 2 fleets rebase to Scapa Flow in preparation for raiding in the winter. 2 panzers and western desert force are repaired.

Russia crossed into Bessarabia and Hungary. The Romanian front collapsed and he closed in on Bucharest with 4 tanks. The other 2 tanks drove to Budapest but its defenders were too strong. If he had concentrated on Romania, she might have fallen this turn. Romania forewent a chance to catch South HQ with its pants down so the Russians could continue their attack on Hungary. Hungary cleared her capital for production.

The panzers in the east were out of range of South HQ so Poland survives unscathed. Poland cut off Konigsberg’s land supply. North HQ and 2 garrisons in the city surrendered at the end of Autumn.

Winter 1939. Severe weather grips Russia though there will be little action there anyway. The political chit was mass strikes costing France 15 BRP. Combined with her losses from the Strasbourg battles she is quite poor.

Production. Hungary formed infantry and cavalry in Budapest. Britain built a naval base bordering the Norwegian Sea and the north Atlantic. France and Switzerland replaced lost TAC. Russia and Romania had infantry to rebuild.

Offensive purchase. France GHQ only, she was down to 0 BRP after that.. Britain GHQ, naval & attrition. Germany army groups Centre & South. Italy naval & Est. Russia South Front.

Diplomacy. Italy up and down with Spain. Germany up to client with Hungary, under Molotov Ribbentrop the Russo Hungarian war stops. Britain up with Sweden and Turkey. Sweden declared on the USSR but can’t really do much to her. The Swedes clustered in Stockholm.

Sea zones. Poland and Sweden controlled the Baltic. France can’t afford the fuel to leave port. Italy sailed her whole fleet and air force in the med. Britain controlled the North Sea & eastern med and raided the iron ore route. That took Germany down to 0BRP like France.

Declarations of War.-

Strategic redeployment. Hitler borrowed 27BRP from Mussolini. Italy is now penniless but shouldn’t need any money as she is at peace. America sent Britain and France 20BRP each. France reinforced the Riviera. Britain railed 2 infantry from the channel to the Swiss border and flew 5TAC to Lyons. Another corps went to southern Tunisia, the tan counter camouflaged by scrub at the far side of the table went unnoticed by Jon
Operations. Russia evacuated Hungary and cleared Ploesti but fumbled the attack into Bucharest. Romania survives a second turn because of terrible rolling.

Germany cleared the defenders around Warsaw using 4 full strength panzers and 2 cripples from Strasbourg. In exploitation they completed the encirclement, it was touch and go but the Poles just hung on to their capital. Polish infantry from East Prussia fought through the besiegers re-establishing their own supply line. Germany voluntarily eliminated another crippled panzer.

In the west no-one cared to attack. Everyone had armour in forts, mountains, objective cities and behind rivers. Bern was a weak point but the approaches to it were too narrow. Both defences were just too strong.

Spring 1940. Mud in Russia. The political chit was Yugoslavia coup. The axis went down with her and Britain went up.

Production. 10 BRP transferred from the soviets to the Nazis. Poland rebuilt her losses using most of her BRP. Sweden bought 2 infantry. Romania and Russia replaced losses. Germany built 2 panzers and 2 infantry next to the Netherlands and repaired TAC lost over Strasbourg.

Offensive purchase. France GHQ + 2 attrition. Britain GHQ, naval + 2 attrition. Germany army groups West & Centre. Italy Est HQ & naval. Russia South Front.

Diplomacy. Germany and France up with Spain, Italy down. Britain up with Yugoslavia, Sweden and Turkey. They become British clients. Russia is forced to declare on Britain because she is at war with Sweden. I was happy for Russia to pay 15BRP for me to get access to the Baltic but James wasn’t. Sweden allied with Britain when I counter declared on Stalin. Yugoslavia, Turkey and Spain declared on the Soviet Union.

Sea zones. Poland & Sweden overflew the Baltic. Britain controlled the North Sea, eastern med and eastern Atlantic. France controlled the western approaches and raided the central med and the Adriatic. I misread the rules and thought I couldn’t raid the Baltic, actually I could have this year but I switched the subs to Italian shipping. Italy controlled the western med. We fought for the central med 5 Italian TAC + 36 surface vs 2TAC, 6CV and 9 surface. I was almost out of surface after 1 round so I withdrew. I should have sent the 18 French surface raiders into sea control.

Declarations of War. Stalin on Bulgaria. Germany on the Netherlands, Italy had to join in and declare on the UK. France countered on Italy to back up Britain.

Strategic redeployment. Italy kept her landing craft for amphibious assault so Tripoli is still unmanned. Britain and France accepted more funds from the states. Britain shipped 2 garrisons to Rotterdam and 2 infantry to The Hague.

Operations. Polish infantry marched into Rostock. He lost the landing craft and subs to TAC on sea control as they rebased to Kiel. The British landed at Kiel forcing the Kriegsmarine out to Whilemshaven. Germany finally took Warsaw, Poland surrendered and Rostock reverts to him. He gained 1 BRP.

Russian tank corps swept through Bucharest and exploited into Sofia. Yugoslavia managed to hold them off for this turn. Romania and Bulgaria surrendered and he reaped 10 BRP. I warned the soviets that Turkey was under my protection. I will have to find troops from somewhere to back that up if he attacks her. Hopefully he will be happy to conquer Yugoslavia and keep coming west.

A British infantry corps motored eastwards into Tripoli from Tunisia. Another drove west from the wire in Egypt to the Cyrenaican coast bypassing Tobruk. I intend to build an airstrip and naval base under them. It will border the eastern and central med. Libya except for Tobruk capitulated.

The Germans can only get 2 panzers without TAC to the Netherlands so she survives. The stalemate around Strasbourg continues. Bern’s defence is handed over to British and Swiss infantry. All 4 British armour with 5TAC crash into the Italians and exploits towards the coast. The French advance along the Riviera taking advantage of the damage done by the British. Italy faces a surrender roll of 5 on 2D6.

Jon has tried all sorts of tricks in the low countries with the Germans so going through Switzerland shouldn’t have been such a surprise. The French can’t reinforce the Swiss because they ally with Britain. It was convenient to have my best armour there when I wanted to attack the Italians but I fear for my supply line if France falls. Jon told me afterwards that he was hoping to pin the British in Switzerland so the Netherlands would be a pushover. The UK was almost empty as things stood only a garrison in London. I may have to resort to Frenchmen holding Egypt and Libya whilst sending Brits to Turkey. The greatest beneficiary of Germany actually conquering Switzerland would be the Soviet Union. Everyone else loses 10% of base BRP from the ensuing banking crisis.

Last game the Germans ran out of money on turn 2. This time the Italians were there to bail them out. This might be the way to go in future. Italian BRP used to keep quality German armies in the field.

The pictures were mocked up from memory. I left my camera at home and Jon was suppressing evidence of his cock-up with offensive chits. Almost made it home in time for the 1am curfew. Next week I’m Stalin, James is the axis and Jon has the wallies.

Thanks to James (USSR) and Jon (axis) for a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin mong
France
flag msg tools
So you think French troops cannot stack with Belgian, Dutch or Swiss units either because they allied to Britain ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they can stack together nor enter each other's territory.
5.32 Allies can enter each other's territory, ipso facto non allies can't.

It has caused problems with Poland (French Ally) when Molotov Ribbentrop isn't in effect and Russia wants to attack Germany. It also affects French troops wanting to prevent easy German victories in Luxembourg and Norway. We have a house rule that allows the French into Belgium and Norway because they did historically.

In a similar vein, 24.1 restricts which nations minor country units can enter. Yugoslavia and Greece aren't allowed into Italy who they are often at war with. Historically Greece counterattacked into Albania and I'm trying to get my group to make a house rule for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin mong
France
flag msg tools
this would also mean, for example, if Romania allies to Germany, which is allied to Italy, Romania would never ally to Italy ? (since you're supposed to remove the influence marker once the country allies to any major power)

We always played the oposite : minors ally to one side and are allied to all major powers of that side. Mostly for simplicity's sake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.