16 Posts

Relic» Forums » General

Subject: My opinion only rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hamhock DeShabado
msg tools
mbmb
I have played every edition of Talisman to death, and after playing Relic today I wish it had died yeas ago.

For first time board gamers this is great. other than that please put a fork in my eye.

If I was FFG I would be embarrassed and ashamed to release this as a title, it is no better than the multitude of versions of Monopoly that have been published, same game different theme on the box, give us your money.

I had so much I wanted to say but I am just too disappointed with FFG

thats it

I would not recommend this game to anyone who would visit this site, unless your a CATAN player and rolling a D6 over and over again is your thing.

Walker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's wrong with rolling a die, completing mission objectives, laughing at your friends' misfortunes in this game, having fun defeating critters and leveling up?
You also have Power cards and special abilities that really help mitigate the luck factor.

You might be addressing the wrong crowd on this board.

Personally, I had ten times more fun with Monopoly than any of the optimization /efficiency engines out there which make me feel like I'm doing my taxes rather than playing, and take ages to figure out, or have tremendous amounts of downtime due to inevitable analysis paralysis.

Some games like Talisman and Relic are just for that: relax after a day's work to something that doesn't require a degree in Economics to figure out(and I love Math-am a high-school tutor myself I just don't like it in games).

Personally, I don't like the "if it's not for me, then it shouldn't be for anyone" mentality. Just my opinion.
Maybe it's just the way you've stated it,that got to me, I dunno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Neri
Italy
Livorno
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Francesco Neri
mbmbmb
i can't understand how you can play talisman until death, and not appreciate relic, due the fact that are the same thing.
It would have much more sense if you tell us that you hate both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
laughing at your friends' misfortunes in this game

And having them laugh at yours too. Kind of what happens in Arkham Horror where some horrific disaster befalls one of you and you just laugh. Works both ways in a co-op, tho - sometimes there's nothing better than watching a buddy survive against awful odds. Yeah, it's often on a dice roll, but who cares? We are supposed to be having fun, after all and if a dice roll leads to laughs and good times, sounds good to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeroCool_ITA wrote:
i can't understand how you can play talisman until death, and not appreciate relic, due the fact that are the same thing.
It would have much more sense if you tell us that you hate both!

Exactly my thoughts when I first read it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamhock DeShabado
msg tools
mbmb
I do hate both I played TALISMAN to death 30 years ago and it has not aged well.

Like I said this is my opinion.

I feel games for siting around laughing with friends and just having fun should run between 30min-2h not 2- 4h.

I never said this game is not good for anyone, lots of people will find this game great, 40k theme board game that easy to learn and fun to play.

What I did say is that I would not recommend.

My main problem is with FFG. They used to be the leader of innovative new board games, and now with the serge with KICKSTARTER you would think this would push them to new levels, but it seems they have decided to turtle and just rehash old titles.

X-wing - Wings of War
Relic - Talisman
REX - Dune
Gearworld - Borderlands
Netrunner
Planet Steam
Decent 2ed
Rune Wars 2ed

I think what set me off is "what it could have been." but was not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I understand where you are coming from in terms of being sick of mechanics of the game.

I completely disagree with your aggressive take on it.

Much like books/games/art to myself and a lot of others; Theme and setting goes a long way, this is why Monopoly and Risk exist in so many variations, while you couldn't get me to play basic monopoly or Disney monopoly, you may get me to try Star Wars or Godfather monopoly based on the theme alone. Risk on itself may bore some, yet throw some 27th century nuclear fallout risk version and you'll gain more interest.

While I like Fantasy trope of Talisman series, I felt fatigue to the Dungeon and Dragons theme for some time now and really enjoy the fiction of Warhammer 40k, with it's magical/demon/space marine tech lore and picked it up. Haven't regretted it a single bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VWValker wrote:
I feel games for siting around laughing with friends and just having fun should run between 30min-2h not 2- 4h.

Funny, 30-120 minutes is the norm for Talisman R4th and Relic, hell, more like 30-90 minutes these days, more for Talisman, but Relic has come down to that range (and lower to about 60 minutes) couple of the most recent games (those featuring the Ogryn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From your list, I'd like to highlight Descent 2nd ed. It's an entirely different game from the 1st edition.

1)Objective-geared, more intuitive gameplay

2) Reduced playtime -from six hours to 90 minutes- that's a whole lot.

3)Buckets of tokens thankfully gone.

4)Less fiddly, no more managing movement points for every mini-action(ugh, I disliked that so much in the original.
That goes hand in hand with my general disposition towards roll and move, doesn't it?)

5)Support for 1st Edition players in the form a Conversion Kit that allows you to use your 1st Edition monsters in the new game

6)More intuitive, streamlined rules without a plethora of exceptions.

7)The implementation of defense dice instead of static armor is wonderful.
Bye-bye, impossibly armored giants.

And more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:

Own and like D2 quite a bit, but I still have like 4-5 bags for tokens with just base + one expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have our own issues with Relic after several games.
Nothing that can't be easily houseruled.

For instance, we've felt that mission management becomes distracting after acquiring your 1st relic, and cheapens relics in the long run as they become easier to get once you roll into power.

We houseruled that you only draw missions continuously until getting the 1st relic. Afterwards it's only if you land on a space that allows you to draw a Mission card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
magmaxtic wrote:

Own and like D2 quite a bit, but I still have like 4-5 bags for tokens with just base + one expansion.

We've taken a small plano box. All the fatigue, effect and wound tokens, together with the small monsters and all the dice fit happily inside.
It's a very compact storage solution.

I'm somewhat reluctant to start expanding the base game at the moment, as I own the Conversion Kit and it provides more than enough variety in monsters and heroes for all our questing needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamhock DeShabado
msg tools
mbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
We have our own issues with Relic after several games.
Nothing that can't be easily houseruled.

For instance, we've felt that mission management becomes distracting after acquiring your 1st relic, and cheapens relics in the long run as they become easier to get once you roll into power.

We houseruled that you only draw missions continuously until getting the 1st relic. Afterwards it's only if you land on a space that allows you to draw a Mission card.

You could also make Relics progressively more expensive ie. first one 3 second 4 and so on .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
VWValker wrote:
I do hate both I played TALISMAN to death 30 years ago and it has not aged well.

So, you don't like Talisman...and knowing that Relic is 40k Talisman, you were expecting to get a total 180? If you hate Talisman now, what made you want to try this?

VWValker wrote:
My main problem is with FFG. They used to be the leader of innovative new board games, and now with the serge with KICKSTARTER you would think this would push them to new levels, but it seems they have decided to turtle and just rehash old titles.

So then shouldn't this topic be "My opinion about FFG only", since it has less to do with Relic, and more to do with the company?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VWValker wrote:
I have played every edition of Talisman to death, and after playing Relic today I wish it had died yeas ago.

For first time board gamers this is great. other than that please put a fork in my eye.

If I was FFG I would be embarrassed and ashamed to release this as a title, it is no better than the multitude of versions of Monopoly that have been published, same game different theme on the box, give us your money.

I had so much I wanted to say but I am just too disappointed with FFG

thats it

I would not recommend this game to anyone who would visit this site, unless your a CATAN player and rolling a D6 over and over again is your thing.

Walker
So if you have learned nothing else from this post I hope you have learned to never bash a game .... especially without 213 good reasons why it sucks or you will be flogged and then thrown away in the trash like the dog that you are !!! But honesly I do see your point ... the graphics look great in Relic, and although I like Talisman and I will probably end up buying this game ... Talisman just takes too damn long to play for what it is ...!!! it should be a 90 minute game and with a full compliment of 5 or 6 Talisman always seems to take 4 to 5 hours every time. Wellllll heres to hoping they at least found a way to get the game down to less then two hours ... then at least it will be worth the purchase. Otherwise its gonna be another one of those 150 games I got on the shelf with shrink still on them whistlewhistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.