12 Posts

Sails of Glory» Forums » Rules

Subject: please --- optional rules for signals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oliver .
msg tools
Hello,

i know somebody mentioned this earlier, but I'm going to beat everyone over the head....

my (and others) request:

can ares please include multiplayer rules that include signals!?!?!

The coolest thing to me is the difficulty of communications in a naval battle. the methods they devised to communicate with each other would immeasurably add to the immersion of the game if you guys added this rule. further from a gameplay aspect it would be really fun. like a miniatures version of broken telephone or something (well not exactly but you can probably catch my draft... i mean drift....)

Anyways... thats my two cents. It would obviously be part of the advanced rules, or possibly an optional multiplayer rule.

By the way last time i posted a request it was for sea mats, and they had already been developed so my plan is to avoid reading the kickstarter site and cross my fingers that its already on there (it worked last time!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
cupbearer wrote:

By the way last time i posted a request it was for sea mats, and they had already been developed so my plan is to avoid reading the kickstarter site and cross my fingers that its already on there (it worked last time!)

There's a mat available starting at Lt. Level...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see flag tokens that you would place as part of your planning phase that would give your teammate some basic information. I was thinking of creating a system like that with, let's say 10 flag tokens. Then create 5 different code sheets that would randomly be used by each side so the other side doesn't know which one you have (or would have to really deduct what you are doing). Easily done and would be pretty effective.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
I would love to see flag tokens that you would place as part of your planning phase that would give your teammate some basic information. I was thinking of creating a system like that with, let's say 10 flag tokens. Then create 5 different code sheets that would randomly be used by each side so the other side doesn't know which one you have (or would have to really deduct what you are doing). Easily done and would be pretty effective.

-Ski

If I ever find myself engaged in combat with a mutual foe, I expect to signal my compatriots with the following flag throughout — oh, say the entire battle:

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then again, the flag posted above (meaning "Danger Ahead") would have been completely unintelligible to sailors of the Napoleonic era. For captains interested in using historically appropriate signals, you would do well to use Captain Frederick Marryat's signals book:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think this is a metagame concern that could best be addressed by community members (like yourself), while the designers put the finishing touches on the actual rules and components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
...or, just don't talk to your partners shake maybe hand signals? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
Personally, I think this is a metagame concern that could best be addressed by community members (like yourself), while the designers put the finishing touches on the actual rules and components.

Yes, or a pdf expansion in the future but for now focus on the rules for the various levels of the game and the stretch goal products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:

This +1!

I think signals flags and or messaging amidst ships is best left to the BGG files page. As for hand signals, I encourage this and only allow for nonverbal communication when playing Wings of Glory WWI, as it is both funny for those pilots involved & it is also historically accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
The system used in Close Action is perfectly portable to this game, if you want to use it, and it works great.

All ships' captains are permitted one three-word message - preferably written before movement or combat:

[Ship Name (Target of Message)] [Word] [Word] [Word]

Punctuation counts as a word.

Admirals are permitted five words and may also use the message targets FLEET and SQUADRON [Name].

Typically, you are also allowed to have a pre-battle conference to discuss the general plan of attack.

It works awesomely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
The system used in Close Action is perfectly portable to this game, if you want to use it, and it works great.

All ships' captains are permitted one three-word message - preferably written before movement or combat:

[Ship Name (Target of Message)] [Word] [Word] [Word]

Punctuation counts as a word.

Admirals are permitted five words and may also use the message targets FLEET and SQUADRON [Name].

Typically, you are also allowed to have a pre-battle conference to discuss the general plan of attack.

It works awesomely.

Given the time it would take to send, receive, and run up a reply or send another message, I would think we would want to limit such communiques to every other round — rounds themselves only seem to comprise 40 seconds to 1.5 minute for "in-game" time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Years ago I played Ancients battles with three-word messages (on paper) exchanged between turns. No replies, just three words each direction simultaneously.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.