Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, where did you get your terrains for your table?
I am having trouble to find woods and trees without spending a fortune.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Woodland Scenics:
http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/?

You can get the tree armatures and the tree foliage and then with some glue, you can make the trees yourself. It wasn't terribly expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Madazam wrote:
Guys, where did you get your terrains for your table?
I am having trouble to find woods and trees without spending a fortune.

Welcome to the hobby?

I wish I knew what to tell you, but quality terrain IS expensive. Luckily stuff like the Dust buildings are actually pretty functional and cheap by hobby standards, so at least your buildings/ruins can be covered by picking up one or two of the expansions which included them.

As for hills/trees/terrain, etc... the best you'll likely find for relatively decent prices are Gale Force 9 items. That, or make a run to Michaels/Hobby Lobby and buy bags of ugly christmas-tree look-alikes.

That said, if you stay in the miniatures gaming hobby... a $200 investment will likely last you for life, and span essentially every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!

That link is great. Definitely their prices are fine for me.
Just ten minutes ago I have found 4 and 6 inches trees for 1,89 each one on wholesaletrains.com (I think that is the URL).
Actually I have playing tabletop miniature games since 1993, but never bought terrains and whatever to create a decent background.

I have some buildings, but are prevalent for fantasy. They are easier to be found.
Dust warfare is not even scifi, so warhammer 40k buildings style don't work either.
I have some Dust building, I just wanted to have some variety; especially because I consider Dust more a urban fight game type.
For buildings I was looking for O scale train model buildings. They can be really expensive, but some are cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For buildings, I also got the Gale Force 9 Battlefield in a Box Gothic Ruins - they come in a variety of sizes. They come painted, are extremely heavy duty, and are fairly cheap.

It can be difficult to find buildings for a decent price though, that's for sure.

For some cheap urban terrain, think about these papercraft bunker walls on the Dust Tactics forum:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/61124/papercraft-bunke...

Buy some cardstock, then just print them out and glue them together. They'll be extremely cheap, and they actually look really nice. And if you ever play Dust Tactics at all, they fit perfectly on the squares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Madazam wrote:
so warhammer 40k buildings style don't work either.

Not 40K, but you'll find that some Warhammer Fantasy buildings have a bit of European architecture to them, which works well for WWII:

© Games Workshop, used without permission.

As for trees, i found mine in a hobby store dedicated to train miniatures. About 1 dollar per tree and they look great and are to scale with Dust miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
For buildings, I also got the Gale Force 9 Battlefield in a Box Gothic Ruins - they come in a variety of sizes. They come painted, are extremely heavy duty, and are fairly cheap.

It can be difficult to find buildings for a decent price though, that's for sure.

For some cheap urban terrain, think about these papercraft bunker walls on the Dust Tactics forum:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/61124/papercraft-bunke...

Buy some cardstock, then just print them out and glue them together. They'll be extremely cheap, and they actually look really nice. And if you ever play Dust Tactics at all, they fit perfectly on the squares.

Obviously everything else from Game Force 9 with WWII theme is a smaller scale. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Madazam wrote:

Obviously everything else from Game Force 9 with WWII theme is a smaller scale. Right?

A lot of it is. Their rivers are pretty scale-independent, and work really well for Dust Warfare too. And I think they have some hills that might be fairly scale-independent too.

Anywhere you see the product, it should say what scale it works for, and if it says "Flames of War" anywhere on it, then chances are it's too small of a scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you want a bridge, the techno bridge by Pegasus is quite cheap (I think I got mine for about $12) and works great for Dust Warfare, and fits perfectly over the Gale Force 9 river. (Oddly enough, I've been told it does not fit properly over the Pegasus river pieces.)

http://pegasushobbies.net/catalog/Peg.-Gaming-Accessories/c2...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just made mine.

working on a modular set of 1/4 sections. Can either have a center hill or use each 1/4 in a corner, or even divide it in 1/2. Very similar to how the GW table is.

Tons more WIP pics in my gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really would like to create that kind of stuff, butI don't have even the time for miniature painting.
Is anybody using roads in the scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Madazam wrote:
I really would like to create that kind of stuff, butI don't have even the time for miniature painting.
Is anybody using roads in the scenarios?

I haven't found any good roads that are reasonably priced and would work for Dust Warfare's scale. WOuld definitely be interested if anyone knows of any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found something, but was really expensive. I think the only good and cheap solution are the tiles.
Lego has nice thick plastic tile for roads; just the scale is not good.

In the while a got one of this for 17 dollars.

It is not bad and with some paint it should be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
Felkor wrote:
Also, if you want a bridge, the techno bridge by Pegasus is quite cheap (I think I got mine for about $12) and works great for Dust Warfare, and fits perfectly over the Gale Force 9 river. (Oddly enough, I've been told it does not fit properly over the Pegasus river pieces.)

http://pegasushobbies.net/catalog/Peg.-Gaming-Accessories/c2...

I can confirm it does not fit properly over the Pegasus pre-painted river.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
Madazam wrote:
I found something, but was really expensive. I think the only good and cheap solution are the tiles.
Lego has nice thick plastic tile for roads; just the scale is not good.

In the while a got one of this for 17 dollars.

It is not bad and with some paint it should be great.

I would like feedback, as I have considered purchasing this piece multiple times. The apartment building and the airport was my other thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you assemble it and put on the table it does its job; the scale is perfect. Obviously it is not painted and with those colors (tan and red) doesn't really match well the rest of whatever you will have on the table.
Anyway with an airbrush and a quick dry-brush technique, I think it can be a really good piece. Also this is one of the few scale O building that you can find at this range of price.
It reminds me those modern buildings in Europe during the '50, so for me it matches the background perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cynthia Celeste Miller
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
The best trees I've seen (and I've seen a lot of them) are the ones from the Heroscape supplement called "The Road to the Forgotten Forest". I've seen better looking trees, mind you, but these really affect LOS and can survive being run over by a Sherman tank. Very sturdy. I own four sets of that supplement just for the trees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.