BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: looking to buy a really good rpg/fantasy game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
the king
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I am new to gaming and I have been buying primarily wargames. I am starting to get sick of them and I have been thinking about picking up a more rpg/fantasy based game. Here is what I am looking for.

1. Great asthetics. I NEED MINI'S! and a nice board
2. Moderately complex- A game I consider highly complex is War of the Ring
3. Must be able to be played (and be fun) with two players
4. I realize their will be some form of battle, but I want something more than a fantasy-themed war game like War of the Ring
5. Something with fast player turn around rate, because my only playing partner hates slow turn games like A&A.
6. a game that can be played in 2-4 hours

Here are some games I have been pondering....

1. Shadows over Camelot- This is at the top of my list. I really like the idea of cooperative play, but I have heard the game lacks without at least three players.
2. Decent: Journey into the Dark
3. Quest of the Dragonlords 2006
4. World of Warcraft
5. Runbound, the newest one

If there are better games not on my list, please tell me!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Das Zepter von Zavandor: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/13884

I'm just reading the rules now. Not sure if there's any direct combat yet. There's an English printing coming soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avoid World of Warcraft. It vil take at least 4 hours. My third game lasted 9 hours, and i don't feel like playing it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drakken wrote:
Here are some games I have been pondering....

1. Shadows over Camelot- This is at the top of my list. I really like the idea of cooperative play, but I have heard the game lacks without at least three players.
4. World of Warcraft

If there are better games not on my list, please tell me!!!!

Shadows over Camelot is fun, but not really a RPG type in your list, I'd choose Descent; I don't know Quest of the Dragonlords, and didn't play any other game in your list except Shadows over Camelot, so take it as an educated guess.

I'm looking for the same thing, and at this point, Descent seems the best choice. I'm looking at Space Hulk, but this one is OOP.

Did you consider Heroscape? It's not completely Fantasy themed, but seems like a good option. I have it and still have to play a second game. The drawback to this one is the time it takes to build your board, but on the other hand, you can have different boards everytime you play. But realistically, you need a place where you can leave the board if you plan on doing anything complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfons wrote:
Avoid World of Warcraft. It vil take at least 4 hours. My third game lasted 9 hours, and i don't feel like playing it again.

Um, 9 hours? Im not even sure how its possible to play that slowly. WoW is a good game, and could fill the bill... its not hugely RPGish, but has tight rules and is more of a team race game to finish an objective. Even with 6, ive not had a game go longer than 4 hours, and everyone had fun the whole time.

Shadows over Camelot is pretty bad, IMHO.

Decent is pretty good and has an RPG feel, but its scenario based.

I might suggest Runebound, as there are many expansions now with more on the way. Its replaced all RPG boardgames for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Decent is pretty good

It sure is! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lee
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote has to go to World of Warcraft. The PvP can be sort of longish, but with more plays I am sure the time will come down on that too. WOW should last 4-5 hours imo.

Personally I cannot stand Runebound, but alot of people like it. So each their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warmachine skirmishes can resolve in 30 minutes. Not too rpg-ish though. Coolest minis ev-ar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Davies
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You won't go wrong with Descent or Runebound. Descent is the more complicated one of the 2 but still quite easy to get into and lots of fun.zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer66 wrote:
alfons wrote:

Um, 9 hours? Im not even sure how its possible to play that slowly.

You can read my session report on the 9 hour session on the WoW page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Shadows Over Camelot but it's not very RPGish and won't be very good with two players.

Descent is in my opinion a great game and probably best fits your bill.

World Of Warcraft is a complete yawn fest. Very slow, hardly any interaction. However, I've got to rate Fantasy Flight's customer service for posting me a missing model all the way to Wales!

I haven't played the other two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
drakken wrote:
4. World of Warcraft

Shadows is a good game, but no so good for 2. I haven't played Descent, but I've played Doom which is similar and that's quite decent. It's a dungeon crawl. Haven't played the next 2, but I love Runebound and recommend it. It's a wilderness adventure, not a dungeon crawl. Descent will have the better minis. Descent will also have heaps more player interaction than Runebound, which can be played solo. There's also stuff like D&D miniatures, if you want to get into that. Some people say Runebound is a little slow, but I bought an extra set of combat dice so now two players can resolve combats simultaneously, which speeds it up a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Descent and Runebound and both of them would fit what you need in a RPG boardgame.

Keep in mind that the first is a dungeon romp, while the second is an epic game where you travel around a world, have adventures (all the while trying to fulfill an overall quest), raise your character's level in skills, and fight an ultimate bad guy. Furthermore, Runebound just released six expansion decks of cards (two of which completely changes the overall quest and endgame), and a whole other expansion game. Descent probably will, too.

They are two different games. Also, they both can take a while to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You also might check out the Dungeoneer series, a card-based dungeon crawl. If you don't like it there's a trade demand for it and it doesn't cost much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the new Quest for the Dragonlords. But the old one has a few problems from your approach. First, it is basically a wargame with a quest mechanic as a sideshow. An important sideshow, because you get the best units that way. Still a side show, though- most of the game is spent fighting for control of continents ala Risk. Secondly the pieces look as if the dog chewed them, I'm guessing they will fix this for the new edition. 3rdly, I think it might not be that resilient in 2 player mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am happy.
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
Be Good, Play Happy
badge
By the power of Greyskull!
mbmbmbmbmb
As previously stated, Descent and Runebound are excellent choices. Descent has spectacular mini's, however, it is a very big box and $$. If you like longer games with more detail, I'd go with Descent. Both games are munchkin dungeon crawls (i.e. power up and beat the crap out of something). If you want a RPG's with more flavor, I'd recommend Battlestations, which is a Sci-Fi RPG. I must confess, I have yet to play it, but some of my friends have and are raving about it. Some other choices are: City of Chaos or Arabian Nights. Sadly both of these are out of print, but simply fantastic games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Descent is a great game, but if you plan on doing a lot of 2 player only, it might not be very balanced. The general consensus here is seems to be that 3 players is the ideal, while 4 (3 hero players) makes it a little too easy for the heros, and 2 players (1 hero, 1 dungeonlord) makes it really tough on the lone hero. There are LOTS of minis in Descent, though.

Dungeoneer is a great game, but there are no minis, unless you import them like we do--Mage Knight figs work well for that. Come to think of it, you could find other Make Knight minis to use as monsters as well, if you wanted to. That would work great *if* you have a lot of MK figs around...I have 2 big boxes worth, so that might be an idea for me lol.

Runebound is very playable with only 2 people, and would take less time to play with less down time than a 3 or 4 player game. There are minis, but really, all you do with them is represent your character...you don't move them around like Warhammer or anything like that, so in that respect, it's really not that much different than Dungeoneer.

There's Nin-Ganost...that has minis, and the terrain tiles are really cool...but it's expensive (compared even to Descent), and you have to paint the figs and terrain. BGG has a Nin-Ganost entry, check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He could play Descent with more than one hero per player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
United States
Greenbelt
MD
flag msg tools
mbmb
Zepter is not an rpg/fantasy game, despite appearances. It's a heavy economic/auction game with a fantasy overlay. My friends who have played Outpost say it's very similar, although it tries to fix any runaway leader problems that Outpost had.
It's a great game, one of my favorites, but don't be fooled into thinking it's something it's not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get hold of either Heroquest or better yet, Advanced Heroquest those would probably fit the bill.

I love AH personally.

It might not have the fastest turnaround on "normal mode" but if it's only two players just have the hero player control all four heroes. If they have henchmen that's quite a few characters to control.

It can either be played fast and fun like a Diablo on the table-top or (depending on how much work you want to put into it as a GM type) it can actually get to be a pretty deep RPG. And you can play both styles with the same characters easily from session to session.

For two players it might be fun also to have two parties go head to head in the same dungeon to see who can collect the most treasure or finish the main quest objectives first.. or simply make it out alive...
The monster encounters can play themselves pretty easily if they just attack the nearest or something. Maybe up the threat values a bit since there is nobody calling the strategic shots...

That would be pretty fun. Why didn't I think of this before?

Ok... sorry... I'm just kind of thinking on a tangent here now.

Back on topic, I'm glad you raised this question as I'm going to the Flgs today to see if I can gather something new along these lines. (yes i love AH but hankering for something new for a bit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexBrown wrote:
Zepter is not an rpg/fantasy game, despite appearances. It's a heavy economic/auction game with a fantasy overlay. ...
It's a great game, one of my favorites, but don't be fooled into thinking it's something it's not.

Agreed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the king
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
great help guys..
nate-I really liked heroquest as a kid, the problem is that I am looking for something still in print.

Ok...I have narrowed it down to 3, but I have some questions....

1. Shadows over Camelot-I know its not an rpg, but I really want it. I am getting a lot of mixed feedback on its 2 player capability. Some say it's still fun as long as each player takes up two knights and despite the fact that the traitor concept becomes obsolete.

2. World of Warcraft-Is there a lot of player interaction? If there are only two factions, why is it so much better as a multi-player game? If there are sub-factions, can't each player just be more than one of them?

3. Decent:Journeys-What is the playing time of this game? Whats the deal with the board, it looks small in the pics, is it modular tiles?, and, if so, does the board change for each quest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I can't see Shadows Over Camelot working very well with only two players.

In my experience there isn't much player interaction at all in World Of Warcraft. I think if the game had been geared a bit more towards encouraging this it would have been a much better game. As it is, the other team does absolutely nothing while the team whose turn it is has their go. It's not like you can even get very interested in what the other team are doing as it has very little impact on your own team. It's basically like two seperate games for the two factions.

I would say that Descent averages on about 2.5 - 3 hours playing time for one mission. The board is made up of modular pieces that fit together like a jigsaw and the layout does indeed change for each mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Carroll
United States
Garland,
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one has recommended Twilight Imperium 3.
Not sure how it plays with two, but for multiplayer games think Puerto Rico with fighting and spaceships.

Or now that Mage Knight has dropped out of fashion you can pick up armies of those for cheap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly because he wants an rpg element? Twilight Imperium 3 is really not much more than a Science-fiction wargame, with political and economic elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.