Hide
23 Posts

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Future Expansions - Advanced Heroes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
I really like a lot of what I'm seeing so far. This game seems to hit a lot of the notes that other similar games fall short on for me.

In one of the videos (http://boardgamegeek.com/video/27390/myth/quests-traps-and-m...) Brian talks about the future direction of the game. He mentions expansions having "Advanced Heroes". The Soldier, for instance, could become a Knight or a Blade Dancer (I'm sure that exact info isn't set in stone). There are a lot of questions I could ask regarding this, but I'll stick to the one that's most pressing for me:

Will new character models be used when they become Advanced Heroes, or will my Soldier character still look like the same Soldier whether he becomes a Knight or a Blade Dancer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they said that they will have new models for the advanced heroes. (but finding stuff in the KS caments in near impossible) I'd imagine that the decks could just be altered with a few cards without the need to totally replace the decks,.... but that has really not been revealed.

maybe they will have an expansion that will provide all the base heroes with a couple of tree options,.... I'd love to see the apprentice go the way of a necromancer!!! raising skelletons

I'm not sure that we will get any of this during the KS campaign,... but they did say that they have lots of stretch goal ready to go if things get crazy over the last few days,... so you never know..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shotton
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We would have new minis.

Each new upgraded class allows the player to manipulate the deck with 10 new cards. Each Base class branches into two "journeyman" classes. Each journeyman class upgrade into 1 master class. We haven't really got beyond that.

There are many things really great about KickStarter, especially for a company like ours (read as: very small). One of the best, is being able to immediately move into the design stage of expansions with confidence. This afternoon finds me putting on the finishing touches to a journeyman class: the Priest.

The Acoylte can upgrade to a Priest or a Necromancer. The Priest then upgrades to Saint. The Necromancer upgrades to a Liche.

We have some split-classes, but I haven't had anytime to work on them. This Kickstarter is kicking my butt, to be honest. We're oging to do some more playing with Myth today.

If you have been following the KS, my dog, Conner has been featured in a video (or three). I turned him into a mini-boss with a quest. We are having some people come over to play through an Act 2 and test Conner as a mini-boss.

If it works out, it may be our special reward to ALL backers at the end of this thing. Wish Conner luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mulski
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Advanced Heroes sounds like an awesome idea, I wonder how they be implemented. I know they've mentioned being granted titles or swap cards in your hero after every Story ( maybe Act). So adding in Advanced Heroes in that way could lead to a campaign system. It'd be cool to see your humble soldier became a stout knight after vanquishing the dreaded Arachnid Boss. Also allowing the player to identify and immerse themselves deeper in they myth that is their soldier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
BShotton wrote:
If you have been following the KS, my dog, Conner has been featured in a video (or three). I turned him into a mini-boss with a quest. We are having some people come over to play through an Act 2 and test Conner as a mini-boss.

If it works out, it may be our special reward to ALL backers at the end of this thing. Wish Conner luck.

Hilarious.

Also, given how rich the design space is for Myth I have no doubt there are tons of ways the game can be expanded. If your work on MERCS is any indication, the rest of us will be pleasantly surprised where the games goes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BShotton wrote:
The Acoylte can upgrade to a Priest or a Necromancer. The Priest then upgrades to Saint. The Necromancer upgrades to a Liche.

BShotton wrote:

Awesome!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BShotton wrote:
We would have new minis.

Each new upgraded class allows the player to manipulate the deck with 10 new cards. Each Base class branches into two "journeyman" classes. Each journeyman class upgrade into 1 master class. We haven't really got beyond that.

There are many things really great about KickStarter, especially for a company like ours (read as: very small). One of the best, is being able to immediately move into the design stage of expansions with confidence. This afternoon finds me putting on the finishing touches to a journeyman class: the Priest.

I love this. I see myself slowly working towards one of the advance classes (a la Prestige Classes in D&D 3E), and then, once a certain number of the journeyman class cards are in my deck, "evolving" my mini to the new one.

Say, I'm Acolyte, and I'm working towards Necro - after 5 or 6 stories, once I've added a bunch of Necro cards to my deck, I'll switch out the mini. Then, 10-15 stories later (probably a few months, but we're getting ahead of ourselves), I'll have a few Lich cards, so another mini unlocks.

That's how I'd play it. But I'm nuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely liking what I'm hearing about advanced classes.

I can see where you'd take a lot of the base classes, but I'm really curious where people like the Skald and the Trickster are going to end up. They don't fit the usual character class tropes so how there paths divulge should be quite interesting to see.

I can't help but envision the Trickster tooling around in some sort of steam powered monstrosity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
breegull wrote:
BShotton wrote:

BShotton wrote:

Awesome!!!

Agreed! This is probably the most exciting bit of information we've had regarding the game. I am really intrigued to see how this plays out and love the concept, it's just like playing D & D computer games (I don't have any experience with 'proper' D & D nor any of their board games). Things happening between whole stories ala WHQ is going to be immense and extra miniatures to paint is always good in my book too. Thanks for taking the time to give us this info Brian and I cannot wait to see how it evolves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Oliver
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BShotton wrote:

Go Conner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A) Advanced classes sounds awesome.

B) Yay Conner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korey Jackson
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BShotton wrote:
This Kickstarter is kicking my butt, to be honest.

Not usually one for "FTFY" but this needs fixin'!!

BShotton wrote:
We are having some people come over to play through an Act 2 and test Conner as a mini-boss.

Love this! I'm a dog lover, but I can't imagine trying to make videos of anything with my dog Stuart in the house...it would just be constant snuffing and tipping over of tripods...and more snuffing. Kudos to Conner for (mostly) keeping his cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BShotton wrote:

I like the idea of the Acolyte going on to a Necromancer,.... I guess I just thought that since the Apprentice already has "Leach" that it would be the one to go that way.

Either way,... I will LOVE LOVE LOVE the Necromancer,..... raising skellys!

Rockin' rockin' rockin',...... skellys everywhere! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
BShotton wrote:

And suddenly I like the Acolyte a whole lot...

Would you have beginner, intermediate, and advanced quests for the different hero tiers, or do they somehow manage to upgrade without breaking the balance of the base game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
binary sunrise

Christiansburg
Virginia
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
illiterate bookworm wrote:

I can see where you'd take a lot of the base classes, but I'm really curious where people like the Skald and the Trickster are going to end up. They don't fit the usual character class tropes so how there paths divulge should be quite interesting to see.

I'd like to see 2 story arcs for the trickster. He should have a crisis of conscience - upgrade to a more honorable path, or upgrade to a more villainous path. And the actions in a story event could define this outcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:
BShotton wrote:

I like the idea of the Acolyte going on to a Necromancer,.... I guess I just thought that since the Apprentice already has "Leach" that it would be the one to go that way.

Either way,... I will LOVE LOVE LOVE the Necromancer,..... raising skellys!

Rockin' rockin' rockin',...... skellys everywhere! whistle

I wonder whether this is going to entail us having more Skeletons if he is able to raise them or whether he can instead just turn current ones?

binarysunrise wrote:
illiterate bookworm wrote:

I'd like to see 2 story arcs for the trickster. He should have a crisis of conscience - upgrade to a more honorable path, or upgrade to a more villainous path. And the actions in a story event could define this outcome

With the Acolyte having the option to become a Liche/Necromancer which are often considered evil then I think this is certainly possible. The Trickster could turn into a Thief or Assassin (depending what they have planned for the Archer and Brigand who currently both seem like variations of the Rogue class)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuing the steampunk theme of the Trickster I'd imagine his advanced classes being something like a Mechanist (pet class summoning and commanding steam powered robots) or an Explorer (rifle/blunderbuss/musket skills adding more ranged options).

I think I heard mention of both Thief and Assassin being evolutions of the Brigand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:
Continuing the steampunk theme of the Trickster I'd imagine his advanced classes being something like a Mechanist (pet class summoning and commanding steam powered robots) or an Explorer (rifle/blunderbuss/musket skills adding more ranged options).

I think I heard mention of both Thief and Assassin being evolutions of the Brigand.

Would make more sense for the Brigand who is the most rogue like. Those are great suggestions for the Trickster too, I really like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:

I'd rather see them call him an Engineer than a Mechanist. But I'm also an engineer and am partial to that job class... Having an engineer build something other than turrets would be a welcome shot to the gaming community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking of the mini count if they actually did a new mini for journeyman and master advances gets crazy.
7 Heroes
x2 Journeyman - 14 Miniatures
x2 Master - 14 Miniatures
So we're sitting at 28 to cover the heroes SO FAR. Oh and in the name of avoiding gender swapping madness when you advance, that's 56 miniatures you're looking at =P And people think summoning things is a good idea...the price =P

Though tbh I'd be happy with the 10 card deck and a character card for the advancement. I don't need a new mini, just the artwork =)

I'll be really looking forward to expansion information though in the future. And I hope come February we'll see a Myth major expansion kickstarter for exactly this kind of stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect we will see just one miniature for each of the advanced classes that you use to represent both the journeymen and masters. But that is still a lot of miniature and not something I'd thought about!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Snyder
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is similar to my post in the "Will I like Myth?" thread.

I really hope the alternative gender Journeyman and Master levels are made available. Maybe as a stretch goal like before? What will become of the Spriggan though? Will it remain a one mini figure, or will it receive changes in appearance? It is, after all, an alternative look for the Druid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.