Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Borders
United States
San Francisco Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had read through the rules, FAQ, and a lot of the discussion here on the geek before we played, and we still had a bunch of questions come up.

We made up answers as we went along, but after the game was over, I've sat down and thought about it some, reading the rules and discussion more closely, and here's my opinion on how these rulings should go. This should (of course) not be considered in any way official, but this is the way we'll probably be playing, unless someone comes up with a clear reason otherwise, or if there's an official ruling. (I don't have the cards in front of me, so I'm going based on a PDF of the rulebook and my memory, so if I got something totally wrong, sorry, my bad.)

1. Several cards are active during maintenance phase However, it seems that there's a difference between the maintenance phase of a prep month and a fashion show month. With this in mind, here's my interpretation of which cards apply to which - a card is active in prep month maintenance phase, fashion show maintenance phase, or all maintenance phases (I've also indicated what I based my decision on):

Contracts:
1a. For Beret - prep months only (my wild guess)
1b. For Ready-to-Wear - fashion show only (BGG discussion)
1c. With Designs Office - prep months only (Off. rulebook)
1d. With Office Renters - all maintenance phases (my educated guess)
1e. For Furniture Store Design - prep months only (Off. rulebook)
1f. With Audit Company - prep months only (my wild guess)

Buildings:
1g. Design Agency (developed ability to sell an unfinished design) - prep months only (my wild guess)
1h. Investment House - all maintenance phases (Off. rulebook)
1j. Retail Outlet - all maintenance phases (my educated guess)
1k. Fashion Show Organizing Agency - prep months only (Off. rulebook)

Employees:
1m. Accountant - all maintenance phases (my educated guess)
1n. Negotiator - fashion show only (logic base on ability)
1p. Trader - fashion show only (BGG discussion)

Sometimes there was a clear statement in the rules; the rest of the time, I tried to apply logic. Abilities which affected ongoing maintenance costs, I let apply to all months. If there was no clear-cut answer, I generally tried to err on the side of 'prep months only'.

There are several other rules vagaries and unclear cards. Here's a list:

2. If an employee on the player board (which is covering an unskilled employee) is dismissed, the player may move an employee which is under a building to that space (thereby saving a $1000 on maintenance).

3. Any card which allows you to change the ordering of pawns (e.g. Transportation Base) may be used immediately on purchase. Any card which allows you to place a pawn on the 4th space (e.g. Sales Agent) also allows the pawn which was used to acquire it to be moved to another action space on the board (however the player may not do both). Note that the pawn may be moved to an earlier step (e.g. Sales Agent allowing you to also purchase a building, claim a contract, or take a loan).

4. Any card which says 'an action pawn is required' means that, if you placed a pawn, you get two actions. If you did not place a pawn, you get no actions (e.g. the building 'Design Bureau). As a special note, I also applied this to the extended contract 'with Design Agency' for rules consistency, but this may not be the way the card was intended to be played.

5. 'Trend' and 'Quality' tokens that you would get from designs (based on the token icons on the design cards) go on the design card, and would only get applied to the fashion show competition if that design was part of the collection.

6. Changing design styles (e.g. with Model: Superstar, or a Design Bureau) is only done during 'Collection Display phase' of a fashion show.

6a. In fact, all cards with the 'model' icon in the bottom left corner (to indicate when the card is active) are applied during Collection Display or Collection Feature Comparison. The 'star purchase' capability of the investment house

6b. The above is qualified in that cards which award PR, Trend, or Quality tokens get those tokens immediately. In terms of game play, this makes no difference in outcome, but is an easy visual indicator of the number of tokens a player has. Cards which award stars, however, are different - 'Retail Outlets' will have an impact on them, so these stars are only awarded during Collection Display.

6c. OK - that last is still confusing, especially with 'Model: FotC' (by far the most confusing card in the game) so I'm going to lay out specifically how I interpreted the rules and flow (this is a far more convoluted series of events than is likely to occur, but it exercises all the troublesome timing issues that might come up):

February, during building purchase step: buy Retail Outlet
February, during employee hiring step: purchase Model: FotC
March, during Collection Display phase: place 2 stars on Model: FotC
March, during Collection Selling phase: these two stars affect the sale price of all collections
April, during Training and Development: improve Model: FotC
April, during maintenance: Retail Outlet allows the collection of $2,000 based on the stars from Model: FotC (in addition to other income from other stars, subject to the $6000/$10,000 limitation of Retail Stores)
May, during maintenance: (same as April)
June, during Stars Exchange: exchange the two stars from Model: FotC for golden bills
June, during Collection Display phase: place 4 stars on Model: FotC
(and so on - I think at this point the process is clear).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexborders wrote:
3. Any card which allows you to change the ordering of pawns (e.g. Transportation Base) may be used immediately on purchase. Any card which allows you to place a pawn on the 4th space (e.g. Sales Agent) also allows the pawn which was used to acquire it to be moved to another action space on the board (however the player may not do both). Note that the pawn may be moved to an earlier step (e.g. Sales Agent allowing you to also purchase a building, claim a contract, or take a loan).

I'm not sure this is true. I don't have the game in front of me, but I seem to recall that there is at least once card like this that cannot be used in the turn purchased. If I recall correctly the rules indicated that the effect takes place immediately after all the pawns are placed, but the card is only taken when you start to resolve the pawns. So it can't be used the same turn.

I think there is one of the numbered cards (that only come out in the last two rounds) like that. We've been playing it to mean that if it comes out on the next to last round, it can be used in the last round and that if it comes out in the last round it is useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.