Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it me, or is the news coming out of Gathering of Friends 2013 nearly nonexistent?

Someone post a few more Geeklists and do some reporting so the rest of us can live vicariously!

Dale Yu gets a few points for sharing SOMETHING at Opinionated Gamers, and then there's Gathering Seven -- Finally!, but a bit more mise-en-scène would be appreciated.

We, the great unwashed, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Does anyone really care about the Gathering of Friends anymore?

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
The brunt of the Gathering gets there next weekend. The Gathering is a 10 day affair, and very few people can make it for the full Monty.

I used to want to do the Gathering hard core, but now I have family, 10 days in Buffalo does not sound appealing, especially since we have BGG.CON in Texas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

For those not illustrious enough to be invited, I suppose the denial burns white hot, eh?

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
edelen wrote:
Darilian wrote:

For those not illustrious enough to be invited, I suppose the denial burns white hot, eh?

devil

My point was that I think that the hobby (and this board) had moved towards a broader aesthetic on games, rather than the more focused one prevalent amongst those who frequent the Gathering of Friends.

Given that Formula D and Munchkin have been on Wheaton's Tabletop, its pretty clear that the majority of gamers in the overall hobby is interested in more than just the latest Essen releases. I think that's a good thing.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

Given that Formula D and Munchkin have been on Wheaton's Tabletop, its pretty clear that the majority of gamers in the overall hobby is interested in more than just the latest Essen releases. I think that's a good thing.

How about for us who never really cared about the majority of gamers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

Being "Cult of the new" guy (2 plays and move on) and being interested in new games (relying on "cult of the new" guys) are very different things. I like to play old games, but I already know about them or own them, so if I read news/reports of course I want to know about something new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
what is it?

Gathering of Friends?

It's an invitation-only event sponsored by Alan Moon of Ticket to Ride fame. The "creme de la gamers" get together to play recent releases and talk gaming. As many designers are invited (Friedemann Friese is a regular), it's often a showcase of prototype games and future releases, more so than many other board game events of its type. I'd say that's why it matters and is different enough from your typical con.

I guess you could say it's the closest the gaming world gets to its own Bilderberg Group.

Funny note: I googled Friese to check the spelling on his name, and he has his own Google sidebar mini-bio, just like Jon Bon Jovi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hoye
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I love playing pretty much anything except war games! I'll try 'em all.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

I played a party game prototype here at the Gathering tonight that would be right up the alley of "the majority of" gamers, and it's the playtesting of awesome stuff like that, along with all other types of games, that makes the Gathering a great coming together of designers and gamers. Among lots of other things! But don't dismiss what could come out of an event like this for any kind of gamer, be they interested in Essen releases or not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a few attendees providing twitter updates, #gof2013 I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.