Stewart Cowan
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
www.phoenixgamesclub.org.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Manhattan Project last week, and enjoyed my first game so much that I've immediately ordered the Nations expansion!

So, my question is what is the best way to treat the expansion? Most of the time I hold expansions in reserve until I can introduce them in a game where all the players have played the base game. The nations expansion looks small in simple enough that I could essentially treat it as part of the base game.

Does anyone have views on this or experience of teaching the game to new players with/without?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rifiri wrote:
I picked up Manhattan Project last week, and enjoyed my first game so much that I've immediately ordered the Nations expansion!

So, my question is what is the best way to treat the expansion? Most of the time I hold expansions in reserve until I can introduce them in a game where all the players have played the base game. The nations expansion looks small in simple enough that I could essentially treat it as part of the base game.

Does anyone have views on this or experience of teaching the game to new players with/without?

I would absolutely have no qualms about introducing it to someone new to the game. The only thing you'll have to clarify is that, although they look and act like buildings, the national powers aren't buildings and can't be bombed or targeted by espionage. That's the only real point ot possible confusion, and it's pretty minor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
I will never play another game without them, nor will I not use them to introduce the game. They add so much flavor, without much complication. Must add, don't even think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
For the longest time I taught the game with the Nations expansion. I usually asked if people minded asymetric starts or had any issue with bombing Japan. But rarely did anyone object.

Lately though I've been teaching the game without the nations and I find that people are less pushed into a role they may or may not want to have.

So the answer really depends on your play group. Hard core eruo gamers would probably prefer the first game without them. More casual or american gamers probably like it with better.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Cowan
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
www.phoenixgamesclub.org.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys - I'll go down the route of introducing it to my playgroup and asking if they want to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.