Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why you should consider pledging to Burning Suns

This is a reply to my previous post why I’ve not kick started this yet, if you want more background on me please look at that. That one gives the negatives, while this one is positive.

The genre of 4x Space game has been rapidly growing over the last few years, which I believe is a good thing as 4x is the peak in epic designer board games. Furthermore compared to many historical empire building games space is not constrained by historical accuracy and offers much more flexibility in its created universe.

Burning Suns deserves your support because I believe it will attempt to take the best of all the games which came before it.

TI 3 has remained extremely popular, due to its deep theme. More 4x Space epics have attempted to invoke theme in two main ways: creating a various events and tailoring player powers, technological capabilities and etc. to be distinctive from the others. While, I have not seem much of the events I assume each one will engage you deeper into the games world. As to races you form a race from three selections, which appears to create a highly diverse set of possibilities. Your race is further diversified by the recruitment of agents or the discovery of artifacts. From what I can tell this game is the king of diversity in every area except research actions, where eclipse is clearly the king. Not meaning that each race has a different tech tree, but that in Eclipse is difficult for two players to specialize the same way.
Overall, technology is of little concern as the game time scale is significantly shorter than many other 4x games. Burning suns will have empires at least as if not more diverse than any other 4x game.

Obscure actions are always difficult to represent in a game. No one wants to deal with rules for assassinations if one probably will not happen in a game. With thematic 4x games one of the keys to making theme work (in my opinion) is to allow all the odd actions an empire can do with being overly restrictive or providing options overload. This is how the game shines; any strange event is possible under this system. Traitors, spies, secrete alliances and duels treaties of marriage are all possible (not saying this will be in the game just that they are possible under the system).

Artwork looks like it will be great what more could I ask for.

The games designer is highly active on the forums and will listen to gaming community. This is not only a demonstration of his dedication to the project, but also a blessing to the community. Sometimes kickstarted projects do not always give super great communication, but I feel safe with the current designer. The designer will listen to you. He proved that even recently by restructuring his rewards to give people the mini-models that asked for. (I would personally rather see some systems or abnormalities or events) Three cheers to the designer.

In the search for the perfect board game we want a game that does a lot with a little; this game has both simple rules and a relatively short game time. While simple rules can be limiting, such as the combat were you roll dice till the death. Retreat rules, maneuver rules and moral rules do not exist. I ultimately believe simpler rules are better especially, when all those exceptions could be handled via an obscure event mechanic.

In Summery
-Great Art
-Great Communication with backers
-Deep theme
-Learned from other games (what to do and not to do)
-Events
-Diverse Experience
-Simple Rules, without sacrificing options
-Playable in a reasonable timeframe
-Its true 4x
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Larsen
Denmark
Faxe
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Joseph,

Thank you for this very nice and clear post
I hope that it can reach board gamers who haven't yet heard of Burning Suns.

I'm currently working on a big update on the campaign, including some video work and a competition. Hopefully both will give a boost in pledges

Have a great day Joseph, and thank you for pin-pointing some of my work and attitude towards it!

Best regards Emil, SunTzuGames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a backer I appreciate your enthusiam, but there are still plenty of questions to be answered. While the rules are up, due the to card based nature of planets/events it is hard to get a real feel of how the game plays. We are still awaiting a gameplay video or a gameplay review.
The miniature thing is almost a distraction, as this isn't really a miniatures game. I worry its going the direction of other games where the miniature aspect is overwhelming the actual gameplay aspect. In the end a mini's person will be disappointed as that is not the focus of this game.

I hope we start getting actual examples of play or video soon. Hearing about how busy the developer's life is isn't that useful in advancing the campaign.

poliorcetes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am with Matt on this. There is the risk that quite a few of the early backers will withdraw their pledge if the videos are not convincing enough.

Especially the "circles instead of hexes" aspect remains confusing until some gameplay videos are up. I still do not see why to use circles instead of hexes. Where are the advantages? Is movement more abstract than in other games? what are the small pieces in between the circular tiles supposed to be?

We need those videos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the little spaces between the circles.

and yes, it is not a minis game so I hope the minis gamers do not try to turn it into one. I'd much rather have more content, however I think I was out voted.

We all are waiting for the game play video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm an EVERYTHING gamer. I love minis games and I card games and cardboard wargames and wood Euros too.

There is a difference between focusing the STRETCH GOALS on the minis and focusing the development of the game on the minis.

No conflict here Joseph. He's already designed the game.

I'd rather see minis stretch goals and a FUNDED game than a game which does not reach funding don't you?

Its also better for a designer to get the highest funding possible because the more units he orders the lower the price is from the manufacturer. That extra savings for him can keep him making expansions.

I agree 100% that GAMEPLAY is the thing - I do proofing for VPG games and that is their motto too.

I see the minis as the advertisement that draws the eye to the banner and gets the pledges. Come for the minis, discover great gameplay.

If you favor gameplay GREAT! You'll get it!
If you favor minis GREAT! You'll get it!

We all win friend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Already have two other friends on board, maybe I can get another one !

I really hope we can get all the stretch goals. It's fascinating why we must even hope and talk about this stuff, backing this game should be a no brainer for every true BGG wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troels Rohde Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys

As a dedicated fan of Burning Suns I will go to the demo this saturday!

I will take lots of pictures and I hope to have time to make words for them

Hopefully I will be able to give you a feel for, how great this games plays!

...Troels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.