Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Horus Heresy (1993)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Breach! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I have a question about Breaching the walls. There are rules for breaching, there are breached markers but i don't realise the effect of breaching.
Walls apparently only affect combat and the rules clearly say that breaching doesn't affect combat at all. So what is breaching for?

I didn't played this game before but i wish to see clearly the rules before i start. However i enjoyed the reprint of this game where breaching has a serious effect.

What am i missing? Walls don't affect movement either. Why breaching them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My game and rulebook are rather deep in the stack, so not digging them out for now to check, but memory (and a quick ref sheet downloaded from BGG I think) tells me if you're attacking from across a wall, you shift down 3 columns on the CRT (thus best you can get is 4-1), if the wall is Breached, you're not longer attacking across a wall, so no shifting, best you can get is 7-1.

At least in the quick ref, mention of breached walls not counting for combat are mentioned under Build Phase (when Imperials can try to Breach), but honestly can't recall where they might be in the actual rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're misinterpreting what's written.
It's not "breaching doesn't affect combat at all" as you've read it.
It's "a breached wall has no effect on combat at all."

A very subtle yet extremely important distinction.

Another way to read it is "Breached walls effectively means that wall doesn't exist anymore, therefore it has no effect on combat."

The effect walls have on combat is to shift the results 3 columns to the left on the results table. That's pretty huge. When a wall is breached, you don't make that shift when attacking over the wall, because the breach makes the wall not exist anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam! Beat me to it. laugh

Just to correct, the best you can get is 4-1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And you (Nazhuret) call yourself a sniper .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
From that point of view is crystal-clear, thanks.
I've just learned a little bit more english

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.