Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also the first time I've had to pay taxes.

Looks like this year I'll need to do quarterly estimated payments.

It normally takes me about 2 hours but lots of new stuff this year so I went with tax software to make sure I didn't miss something. And the tax software didn't import from my broker which only exports in Turbo Tax format. I had to manually remap the .txf file into a comma delimited file which then imported fine.

My final tax rate was 18.5%.

On a little trip this weekend so not on the computer much.
Also kinda burned my hands playing too much "Total Annihilation" so taking a break. Reading the "Cobra" series by Timothy Zahn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
PomInNZ wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

It normally takes me about 2 hours but lots of new stuff this year so I went with tax software to make sure I didn't miss something. And the tax software didn't import from my broker which only exports in Turbo Tax format. I had to manually remap the .txf file into a comma delimited file which then imported fine.

Also kinda burned my hands playing too much "Total Annihilation" so taking a break. Reading the "Cobra" series by Timothy Zahn.

You could move to a modern country like the UK and NZ and never have to do a tax return unless you are self-employed

Wow, really? That sounds like heaven.

~Euen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Just go to a tax agent. They know all the bullshit deductions and will get enough extra refund for you to cover their own fees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PomInNZ wrote:
braveheart101 wrote:
PomInNZ wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

You could move to a modern country like the UK and NZ and never have to do a tax return unless you are self-employed

Wow, really? That sounds like heaven.

~Euen

Really, in fact I think its the norm for the devleoped world - America is very odd on this, as so many things. If your only income is from a job, with income taxed at source,m there is no requirement for a tax return, and no system of auditing provate citizens. My wife has to do a tax return because wshe was on a complex bonus structure based on share options that was paid directly froim overseas and hence required her to do a return, but thats very unusual.

America is also the only Western nation that taxes its citizens on money they earn while living overseas - to the rest of us thats just insane. It simply isn't a part of our lives. Hence as a British citizenliving in NZ nothinf I do is any business of the British tax department.

My income was complicated last year and will be very complicated this year.

Next year it should be less complex.

I had 1040, A,B,D,K1,8993s? this year. Next year all that plus a "C" since I'll be starting a couple small businesses here soon.

The main pain was the D and 8993s(? form with details of stock transactions, basis, profits, and a wash sale just for bonus cookies).

Still... no rental properties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no such thing as too much Total Annihilation. I will have to look for Mac ports and such, one of these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
When I lived in the US, I'd have the IRS people do mine for me and outside the states I've never had to do a tax return.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
There is no such thing as too much Total Annihilation. I will have to look for Mac ports and such, one of these days.

You need to emulate Windows for that: It's a bit too new to run on dosbox, and too old to have an osx port.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.