Subject: Barbarian and pillaged resources rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the pillaged resources still count for the victory conditions (for example city controlled fish resources)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Germany
Bad Vilbel
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question.
I would house-rule that they would not generate points (which seems thematic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernhard Vierthaler wrote:
Do the pillaged resources still count for the victory conditions (for example city controlled fish resources)?

I don't think so. Pillaged resources are covered by coins to denote that they can no longer be harvested, which leads me to believe they no longer exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apelord wrote:
Interesting question.
I would house-rule that they would not generate points (which seems thematic).

To me, it's obvious that they would no longer count toward points. So, no need to house rule anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Germany
Bad Vilbel
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as it is not covered by the rules as written, i would call it a house-rule. The coins on the resource are a price and a reminder that they can not be used anymore, they do not imply anything about the victory conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this expansion and have a question re: the Barbarian: do the coins stay on those resource spots the rest of the game so you ultimately lose that money and the use of those resource spots, or do you get them back during disengagement, opening up the spots again? I'm not quite clear on the strategy of using this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Germany
Bad Vilbel
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is in the Card Glossary of the Rules. It says that the coins stay and the resource spots will not produce anything with a harvest action.

Edit: You could use this for several things:
- Devaluing cities when you know or suspect the corresponding victory-conditions
- Bargaining
- A fast way to harvest several resources
- Increase the rebellion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This goes under The-Archipelago-crowd-hates-me-anyway heading-but I see it the same way as you-the text in the rules booklet says

"The coin stays on the pillaged resources for the rest of the game indicating they can no longer be harvested."

Lange's Law says "Where there is no rule, there is no rule."

This says nothing about end-game conditions, only about harvesting. I would submit that there is a valid argument to be made that the resources are only pillaged from being harvested again, but that they do indeed still count for victory conditions.

PS - that is one of the cards that is over-the-top in terms of its power.

Bernhard Vierthaler wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Germany
Bad Vilbel
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, kind of Archipelagos A-Bomb. When you have the chance to buy it you must do it, just to prevent others to have it.
Time to search for that Assassin ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preventing others from owning the card does nothing-as the first player can choose to activate that card each time....in point of fact-unless the owner IS the first player-the owner conceivably may never get to actually use it....its a game breaker as is the spy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Alsup
United States
Studio City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
Preventing others from owning the card does nothing-as the first player can choose to activate that card each time....in point of fact-unless the owner IS the first player-the owner conceivably may never get to actually use it....its a game breaker as is the spy.

Incorrect again.

Gray arrow indicates only the owner may activate the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sit corrected.

The Barbarian, is really one nasty card though...makes me think of the (RE)quote by Oppenheimer:

"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yama_dharmapala wrote:
Here is another angle of the florins used for the Barbarian character card: Since the florins are taken from behind your screen to be placed on the pillaged resources in the region, does this money still count as yours at the end of the game if you have, for example, a VP condition concerning the most florins?

No - this is in the FAQ or author answers somewhere.

Yama_dharmapala wrote:

Does this also mean that you may only pillage the resources you have enough florins to cover with a coin (it would seem so)?

Correct.

Yama_dharmapala wrote:

If so, then this would also mean that you could not use the Barbarian if you had no florins to cover the resource icons on the region.

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.