Subject: Push the Limit and Tycho ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but my search prowess is failing me:

Is Tycho's ability ("You may perform actions even while you have a stress token") literal? I.e., is it strictly singular ... a stress token? (PTL can, of course, let him accumulate lots of them, and he can only shed one a turn, should he be in desperate need of a K-T.)

I'm guessing the intent is that he can stack stress and continue to perform just fine -- sorta like Bill Clinton in an A-wing -- and I'm further guessing that the official ruling would or has come down that way.

But I'm not positive, and literally ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they would have used "1" for clarity if they wanted that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trenden Flanigan
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
Bones, Baby!
badge
Ortho Doc
mbmbmbmbmb
The A-wing expansion pack includes 3 stress tokens. All the others only include one per ship. If it weren't possible to stack them and keep using them on Tycho, what other possible reason could FFG have for including more than two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Wilder wrote:
-- sorta like Bill Clinton in an A-wing --

haslo wrote:

whistle

I feel your pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Lead Cotillion - http://flintlocklaser.blogspot.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
resQscooter wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

haslo wrote:

:whistle:

I feel your pain.

See, to me that's more like Carter - that many stress tokens has got to cause malaise...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
resQscooter wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

haslo wrote:

whistle

I feel your pain.

Read my lips: No new stress tokens!" (Yes, I know that was the wrong president.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Martin
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
I just played a game yesterday and the endgame was long in coming. My opponent had Tycho and Push the limits. He would do a koiogran, incur stress, do a focus action and (because of Ptl) do an evade action and incur another stress. In the next two turns he would do green manouvers and take only one action and would get rid of his stress. Then he would be free to do it all again.

What prolonged the game was that anytime he was in danger of being fired upon he would take a focus action and an evade action making him (almost) impossible to hit.

He finally died after he used his focus action to kill my last remaining Interceptor and was fired upon by my last Tie fighter. I was lucky at range one and he rolled only blanks and eyeballs on his dice so his evade only cancelled one and one got through.

A very close game. Down to the last hull point for all ships present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flintlocklaser wrote:
See, to me that's more like Carter - that many stress tokens has got to cause malaise...

Nobody old enough to make that reference should be playing with toys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Wilder wrote:
flintlocklaser wrote:

Nobody old enough to make that reference should be playing with toys.

But ... But .. these are "Miniatures".

Totally not toys.

;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides, as I understand 'games' are not the same things as 'toys'.

Games, as in tactical and/or strategic simulations, can quite often be far from child's play, i.e. war-games.

Or you might say the difference between men and boys is the price of... oh I'm not going there.

How about, Grow older but never grow up!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Woehlke
msg tools
mb
Gib1 wrote:
I just played a game yesterday and the endgame was long in coming. My opponent had Tycho and Push the limits. He would do a koiogran, incur stress, do a focus action and (because of Ptl) do an evade action and incur another stress. In the next two turns he would do green manouvers and take only one action and would get rid of his stress. Then he would be free to do it all again.

What prolonged the game was that anytime he was in danger of being fired upon he would take a focus action and an evade action making him (almost) impossible to hit.

He finally died after he used his focus action to kill my last remaining Interceptor and was fired upon by my last Tie fighter. I was lucky at range one and he rolled only blanks and eyeballs on his dice so his evade only cancelled one and one got through.

Same thing last night. We were down to one interceptor and Tycho and I had him in my sights for nearly a dozen turns. Because Tycho has a pilot skill of nine he would move last and use boost if he could get out of my firing arc. If not he'd take a focus and an evade. He was nigh on impossible to hit. Even though I took numerous shots I couldn't hit him. Eventually he pulled a K-turn took focus and a target lock and destroyed me in one shot. It was really frustrating to end the game this way. This problem might be eliminated if Tycho's pilot skill were simply lower, say a 5 or 6. But as a nine, with Boost and two actions....argh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snarly_Yow wrote:
Gib1 wrote:

Same thing last night. We were down to one interceptor and Tycho and I had him in my sights for nearly a dozen turns. Because Tycho has a pilot skill of nine he would move last and use boost if he could get out of my firing arc. If not he'd take a focus and an evade. He was nigh on impossible to hit. Even though I took numerous shots I couldn't hit him. Eventually he pulled a K-turn took focus and a target lock and destroyed me in one shot. It was really frustrating to end the game this way. This problem might be eliminated if Tycho's pilot skill were simply lower, say a 5 or 6. But as a nine, with Boost and two actions....argh.

I don't think that changing the card is the solution. I think the solution is to take Tycho out in the very beginning when you can still fire on him with multiple ships. But yeah, if he manages to survive to the end game, he can evade TIEs all night long. And remember, 30 or so points is a ridiculous amount to sink into a ship that will more often than not, be destroyed the second time it's hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won a match recently with Tycho as the last pilot flying. It was pretty epic. He didn't even have PTL (he should have, but I gave it to Luke Skywalker instead – I won't make that mistake again). Just being able to take a focus or an evade even after taking a stress token (Koighan, usually) is very powerful. Tycho is tough to kill and rather deadly in endgame scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Snarly_Yow wrote:

Not entirely sure exactly how that played out, but just to make sure... Tycho still can't perform a red maneuver while stressed - only take actions. So he would have had to clear all the stress before being able to make the K-turn. Most of the time I play Tycho I just stop tracking stress and tell my opponent I won't K-turn for the rest of the game

Tycho can be a lot of fun with Push the Limit, but he's also a lot of points for an undergunned and relatively fragile Rebel ship. I love the idea of him, but in a 3-ship build I have a hard time justifying him with so few ships to deliver firepower, and for a 4-ship build he does too little to support the rest of the squad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buhallin wrote:
Tycho can be a lot of fun with Push the Limit, but he's also a lot of points for an undergunned and relatively fragile Rebel ship. I love the idea of him, but in a 3-ship build I have a hard time justifying him with so few ships to deliver firepower, and for a 4-ship build he does too little to support the rest of the squad.

I prefer to think of him as the flanking guy who causes a mess in the enemy formation. When nobody pays attention to him, he can regularly get into range 1, and that makes him quite a bit more of a threat.

I agree that Tycho isn't overpowered by any means. But far from useless, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John C

California
msg tools
I also thought selecting a red maneuver while stressed ended in the opponent selecting your maneuver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RipperZ1979 wrote:
I also thought selecting a red maneuver while stressed ended in the opponent selecting your maneuver

Yep. Unless it's a friendly game and your opponent allows you to change your mind - but that's a house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.