Hide
9 Posts

Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
20phoenix 20phoenix
msg tools
Played this through a couple of times last night and it went down a storm with my friends. Had a couple of questions about things that cropped up during the game that I couldnt see answers for elsewhere.

1) A player had Therokles while everyone else had starting gladiators. He wins hosting privileges and wants to fight but everyone refused. He gets the influence for hosting but does he gain an influence if there's no fight for the fight itself?

2) A player has a card that gives other players gold in return for influence to a target dominus such as Grand Feast. Do the players receiving gold count as scheme targets for the purpose of guards? Can anyone receiving gold use guards to try and foil it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manary Corte
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Best game of all time...
badge
...Twilight Imperium 3!
mbmbmbmbmb
20phoenix wrote:
1) A player had Therokles while everyone else had starting gladiators. He wins hosting privileges and wants to fight but everyone refused. He gets the influence for hosting but does he gain an influence if there's no fight for the fight itself?

He does not gain an extra influence, as there wasn't any battle.

Quote:
2) A player has a card that gives other players gold in return for influence to a target dominus such as Grand Feast. Do the players receiving gold count as scheme targets for the purpose of guards? Can anyone receiving gold use guards to try and foil it?

I guess the card only states ONE target dominus to gain the influence, so only he can play guards to, say, protect himself of losing money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mordante Mordante
msg tools

Apart from not getting influence from the fight as it never took place he/the host also looses 1 influence as the games didn't take. Remember you can always send in a slave instead of a gladiator if you wish as a combatant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Wayne bridge wrote:

Apart from not getting influence from the fight as it never took place he/the host also looses 1 influence as the games didn't take.

The bold part is not true.

If the host invites the other players one at a time and all decline to enter the arena, they each lose an influence. Then the host has to invite himself, as there is still an opening in the games. If only he can put in a slave or a gladiator, he does not lose an influence.

If he has no ready combatants to send in he would lose an influence just as usual for declining an invitation. Of course the same goes if he was forced to invite a Dominus who send in a strong gladiator and the Host then declines his own invitation (as he does not want to lose a combatant). Though since he controls thumbs up or down, it is only really a problem if there is a big chance of decapitation (or to a lesser degree injury).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mordante Mordante
msg tools
Hmmm not sure i like this as it gives a total stranglehold to someone who can keep hosting and has a gladiator that no one wants to face as he only needs to keep inviting and not actually have any fights whereas my take meant all would take a influence hit meaning that the host would have to ensure a fight takes place.

Just read the rulebook and what you say is totally correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
20phoenix 20phoenix
msg tools
Wayne bridge wrote:
Hmmm not sure i like this as it gives a total stranglehold to someone who can keep hosting and has a gladiator that no one wants to face as he only needs to keep inviting and not actually have any fights whereas my take meant all would take a influence hit meaning that the host would have to ensure a fight takes place.

This is essentially what happened in our game - as it was just a tester to get the hang of the rules we just played a quick game and there really wasn't a huge amount of time to react to this tactic since no other gladiators came out before he made it to 12. I think its less of a problem with longer games/4 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
20phoenix wrote:
Wayne bridge wrote:

This is essentially what happened in our game - as it was just a tester to get the hang of the rules we just played a quick game and there really wasn't a huge amount of time to react to this tactic since no other gladiators came out before he made it to 12. I think its less of a problem with longer games/4 players

Playing from 4 inluence does seem to be the best (though I've only tried one of each). Took a long time getting started with an influence of 1 and at 7 it was over too soon.

And the problem of one Dominus being the only one with a good gladiator - make sure he pays for the good gladiator, and even more important that he pays a lot to be host (as the host should usually be able to get money from players for inviting/not inviting). If he still gets far a head, gang up on him with influence cards .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the balancing act. You guys let him get Theokeles too cheap. I bought Gannicus in a game early on, but then didn't have enough money left to win host. If he'd paid a decent price for Theokeles, he shouldn't have been able to win host for at least that round!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
We have taken to only playing the long version of the game as the first few influence points are hard to get, and you have to be careful or lucky to play hard intrigue cards early on. This will increase the chance of a single good gladiator getting injured, and also gives time for the other players to grab a good gladiator for themselves. In one game, one of us was 6 influence points ahead, but he had put too many resources into getting there too ealry in the game, and everyone picked on him. He didn't win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.