Subject: 3 player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious as to how the 3 player worked? Is it something you'd buy the game for or just a variation in the rules you could play if it was absolutely necessary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played this several times (great game!) I cannot see how this could be made into a 3 player game or even why anyone would want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the years, I have often found myself with two other gamers who wanted to play TTLM.

This happened often enough that I came up with two solutions:

- Kriegspiel. The third player (in the past, always me) acts as a GameMaster for double-blind play. That is, a player only sees his own forces and those enemy forces he's in contact with. This lengthens the game, but really allows cavalry to perform its historical role of reconnaissance, especially in the first turn.

- Divided Entente command. The UK and French never worked as closely as they could have done. This was most evident in 1914 and 1918 when the French supreme commander (Joffre and Foch) was willing to throw UK forces to the wolves in order to protect Paris. Dividing Entente command allows for this same dynamic to raise its ugly head when things get nasty. Negotiations about card play between the French and UK players can be quite amusing for the German player, since he determines whose plan to follow if they can't agree. This adds a whole new dimension to play, but of course makes the Entente position a bit more precarious.

Personally, I prefer the two player game. And TTLM was designed to be a two player game. But if over the past two decades, a couple of options for three player games were created, I see no reason not to include those options in the rules.

Hope this explains it.

TT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that explanation, it sounds like about the most that could be done with the game as I understand it.

Is it possible for one of France or Britain to win/ it feels like that would be necessary for the decision making to have the possibility of real tension?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
s it possible for one of France or Britain to win/ it feels like that would be necessary for the decision making to have the possibility of real tension?

Yes.

Whoever has liberated the most areas in Belgium and Germany wins, but of course the Entente side as a whole must win in the first place.

This means fewer joint French/UK battles, especially outside France.

Historically, the UK won this race...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Historically, the UK won this race...

By how much? And is it because the British were right next to Belgium defending the channel ports? Just checking if it might favor one ally over the other. I love the idea, although it seems Anglo-Franco tension arose when they were being driven back and feared one side might give up and make a separate peace, particularly in regards to the BEF before the Marne.

If I am wrong let me know. I think your First World War knowledge is superior to mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And is it because the British were right next to Belgium defending the channel ports?

That's part of their advantage, but UK armies were in better shape than the French; they never really recovered from the Nivelle Offensive.

The margin of UK victory was one area, so it was pretty close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Niemand wrote:
Quote:
And is it because the British were right next to Belgium defending the channel ports?

That's part of their advantage, but UK armies were in better shape than the French; they never really recovered from the Nivelle Offensive.

The margin of UK victory was one area, so it was pretty close.

Not to derail into hardcore history but I thought the French had significantly recovered by 1918.

At any rate, I won't play it three player, save for being an umpire on occasion. As you said, nit is meant for two. Can't wait to to show it off to my gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.