Popular Tags: [View All]
Boris Dvorkin
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This situation came up in a PBF:

Arythea stands 7 revealed spaces away from Goldyx, and 8 revealed spaces away from Norowas. However, if you count UNrevealed spaces, her distance from Norowas is also 7. Can she give him a wound with Healing Ritual?

It seemed "obvious" to me that she can't, and it seemed "obvious" to others that she could. So, please don't write a response consisting of "It's X, obviously." An official clarification or a source from the rulebook would be greatly appreciated. Barring that, feel free to opine on the matter to your heart's content, with some reasoning to support your position other than its manifest obviousness.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would opine, based on how unrevealed spaces are still counted as normal for Volkare in the expansion, that the answer is that unrevealed spaces are still counted. However, the answer would be less clear to me if I hadn't also played the expansion, and that is by no means conclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer would be easy if terrain affected the way distance is counted. Then I would definitely only count through revealed tiles. Otherwise I see no reason why one or the other would be more 'correct' other then if the rules or the designer says so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurax golden chubby dragon
msg tools
I would say that the closest is the closest wheter there is terrain explored or not in the middleh. After all, the terrain "is" there, it is just not revealed yet, but it is not an "empty" space...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aurax wrote:
I would say that the closest is the closest wheter there is terrain explored or not in the middleh. After all, the terrain "is" there, it is just not revealed yet, but it is not an "empty" space...

It could be an empty space; i.e., it might be a space where it's impossible ever to explore. Does that change the answer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aurax wrote:

This is not true. Unexplored areas may possibly be never explored, either due to player actions or the exploration rules. The terrain is not "there".

The only instance of the word "distance" in the rules is on page 18, in the Dungeon Lords scenario. It says to count only revealed spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
The only instance of the word "distance" in the rules is on page 18, in the Dungeon Lords scenario. It says to count only revealed spaces.

But, in the Dungeon Lords case the hero is actually moving through those spaces, unlike this case, and the hero is affected by the terrain in those space, unlike this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would tend to agree with Sam that the closest answer is in the General Volkare scenario. I would also tend to agree with Sam that it is by no means conclusive. I would just make an agreement among those at the table and move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a stake in the game, so take my opinion with at least one metric grain of salt, but I would go with straight up as-a-bird-flies, even over non-existent and never-can-exist hexes. I just don't see the magic flowing in curves like that.

OTOH, I think it's obvious that different people will find different interpretations obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. snowMan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's magic. It (probably) isn't affected by terrain. I'd go as the crow flies, over unexplored spaces, regardless of the future potential for that space to be revealed.

If I immerse myself in the world, unexplored spots that can't be explored are probably large lakes, chasms or the ocean wrapping around the back of the map. If a Mage Knight is standing on one side of that, and wants to cast a spell targeting a foe on the other side, that magic is flying straight over the chasm, not taking a scenic trip over nearby hills and plains.

Caveat: Opined. I have no rulebook reference to support my awesome argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Albani
Germany
Achern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to call paul..., maybe even vlaada
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Manso
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Could it be the closest player in the fame track? This way it'll be possible to give wounds toplayers next to you in the victory points at the end!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.