Jon Sharp
United States
Bloomingdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I am brand new to WiF. Just purchased the Deluxe Edition, and am going to attempt the Barbarossa campaign solo to get the game on the table. My greatest fear is that I will begin wrong and cause myself grief before I even start. So, I'm wondering if you guys can take a look at my setup and tell me a couple of things:

1. It doesn't appear that I should be adding any minor nations to my force pools, as the scenario doesn't say that I should. I realize, for instance, that Romania is aligned, but I got the impression that the scenario would specifically say to add the country to my pools if I should.

2. Is the setup correct in a technical sense? Do you see anything illegal? Did I use the wrong border for anyone?

3. Although the first 2 are the most important right now, if you have any advice on how I should have setup, please feel free.

Please note that, though I purchased the deluxe version, I am using no optional rules and only CS 1-6 and 24.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never have played this scenario, but if it's the first pulse and the Axis are DOWing the Russians, the comrades in Poland are going to suffer greatly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to WIFFE!

You chose a hard campaign to start, this isn't easy for the Soviets as they are caught at the border.

I've played the 41 Barbarossa campaign a few times.

As your your first question, I have to admit I don't know the answer; I've played the German player can choose but I don't have any authority for it (besides logic).

As far as I can tell from the screenshot, the border placement looks right. The Soviets have to have the necessary number of units near the border, which includes Rumania, although Bessarabia is Soviet, and Poand. Western Poland is German controlled and Eastern Poland and the Baltic States are Soviet controlled.

I really don't recommend this scenario to beginners, it is hard to defend with the Soviets and you may find yourself setting up for a long time and having the Soviets get rolled. You may want to get a hold of the 1998 annual, there is a suggested Soviet set-up by Harry Rowland; perhaps a little out of date, but the principles are excellent. I recommend that you don't play with the 2 D 10 rule, it is harder for the Soviets (perhaps even impossible). Also, don't play with the 'No ZOC's on surprise impulse', that would be suicide with this set-up for the Soviets.

The German weakness in this scenario is few HQ's on the Soviet border at the start. Gemrany will certainly move more east but German supply can be tricky early and both players should pay extra attention to supply. The Soviets should take, and the Germans should guard against, opportunistic ground stikes against the German HQ's. The Soviets acutally can also find supply difficult.

More than anything else, enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Sharp
United States
Bloomingdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? I thought I had read that Barbarossa is a good one to start with because it is small and will teach the land and air rules. Is there a different scenario you would recommend? I want to get the right start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blakmagik13 wrote:
Really? I thought I had read that Barbarossa is a good one to start with because it is small and will teach the land and air rules. Is there a different scenario you would recommend? I want to get the right start.

Oh, sorry, I thought you meant the 1941 Barbarossa CAMPAIGN GAME (since you said Barbarossa campaign)! Yes, the Barbarossa scenario is an excellent way to learn the land game, and I encourage playing it with a variety of optional rules to see how they work; and I do encourage learning the game from playing it.

Sorry about the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Sharp
United States
Bloomingdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My error. Didn't even know there was a difference! blush

Thanks for the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blakmagik13 wrote:
My error. Didn't even know there was a difference! blush

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks Jon. I should have realized what you meant!

Bruce

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Noget
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are all that armor doing on the Kola Peninsula? Dont stack your russians that high, as your set up as it is screams for a air impuls as a starter from the germans. Look at all the armor you have in range of german stukas that can groundstrike them, meaning they cannot move away from the german onslaught.

So as russians during set up.

Place the worst GARR/INF (one each place) you have in Brest-Litovsk, Odessa, Chicinau, Lvov, one in the South eastern hex of the pripetsk swamp and then you continue until you have a line that the germans cant run through due to zone of control.

Then you start speculating about where to put all the rest of the russians that you need to place close to the dreaded german panzer. But armor and Mech you shouldnt loose in the surprise impuls, away with those. HQ are also not good in range of stukas as you wouldnt want to loose them either.

Go fo a defensive line anchored in Dnepropetrovsk and Kiev behind the river and in the north go for a line just west of Vitebsk in the four forest hexes and with armor and mech in the clear hex in the middle.

And then you, as russian, just wait and see how the german shread your first line of defensive and then you pull up your socks and survivors run behind those two line.

Btw, also have a look at your reinforcements as russia, so e.g. the Kiev MIL is quite good, so dont place two corps in Kiev, as the Kiev MIL will go there.

Now some one with german experience can give you a small guide to the german tactics in Barbarossa, the single most important operation in the whole game.

GL and HF, and welcome to the addicting world in flames.

Yours,

Jesper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Hasforth
Denmark
Copenhagen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With note 1:

"At least 10 corps/armies must set-up within 2 hexes of German controlled Rumania, and another 10 within 2 hexes of German controlled Poland or East Prussia."

This scenario is historical but also suicidal. It gives the Germans a field day.

If you want a more balanced scenario. I would ignore the note. No USSR WiF player should have that many units placed that close to the border in a normal WiF game. The USSR is huge. You should exploit it and do your utmost to save your army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dursten wrote:
With note 1:

"At least 10 corps/armies must set-up within 2 hexes of German controlled Rumania, and another 10 within 2 hexes of German controlled Poland or East Prussia."

This scenario is historical but also suicidal. It gives the Germans a field day.

If you want a more balanced scenario. I would ignore the note. No USSR WiF player should have that many units placed that close to the border in a normal WiF game. The USSR is huge. You should exploit it and do your utmost to save your army.

I agree that playing the 1939 campaign game, the Soviet player shouldn't defend the border; but this scenario is playable and can be a lot of fun as is. I've played it many times.

Most campaign games will also have stronger German forces, especially more HQ's. However, I agree the scenario is unbalanced if you use 2 D 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.