Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Date: January 21st, 2006

Game: Munchkin

Players: Jean-François, Tamara and Valdir (myself)

The Montreal Boardgames Meetup Group usually meets only once a month, on the first Saturday of the month. However, for our January meeting (which happened on the 7th), a group of us wanted to play A Game of Thrones but as we were six on that day and we didn't have the expansion with us, it was impossible to play it.

Some of the members were so intent on playing AGoT that they called for a special meeting to happen on the 21st, just to play this game. A flurry of e-mails showed up in our mailing list, one of the members would even bring the A Game of Thrones: A Clash of Kings Expansion to allow six to play.

Well, this was so successful that by Thursday night we had seven players signed up to play. A bit too successful... Some more e-mails and other people, who were not interested in the AGoT game mentioned they would come as well and we would have a full special meeting. Great!

Anyway, on the Saturday I relinquished my spot in the AGoT to my son, who was more interested in it than I was. I mean, I want to play the game, but I'm not in a hurry, it can wait for a future date. I'm sure the game will hit the table again in the not too distant future.

So, I met Tamara and her husband Jean-François sitting at a table near the AGoT table, we had agreed that we would play Munchkin as they are big fans of the game, had recently bought some of the expansions and wanted to try them out.

They must have at least three or four expansions mixed up in that box, the door and treasure piles were so big, they probably had 150 cards each, at least!

Jean-François explained the rules to me, they are not too difficult, really. The problem is that each card has text in it that can modify other cards, so that for someone who never played (like me), it was a slow process.

I even got to an early lead, I got to level 5 while the others were on levels 4 and 3 but soon I faced a monster that made me lose three levels and was out of contention to the end of the game. I had some bad luck in my draws. For instance, the only monster I had in my hand was a 5 that would be a 10 against an orc, exactly what I was! There was no way I could defeat it...

Jean-François and Tamara were battling it out at the 8/9 levels, while I was trying to survive at 4/5. In the end Jean-François, with a bunch of cards in front of him, was able to push through and defeat a monster that made him go to level 10 to win the game, Tamara and I couldn't do anything to stop him...

Final Score
Player: Points
Jean-François: 10
Tamara: 8
Valdir: 5
I wouldn't request this game, nor plan a games night around it, but it's certainly not as bad as the comments here on the geek made me fear.

I would love to go through the deck to read all the jokes. I laughed out loud when I turned the "Tequila Mockingbird" card. Oh boy! It's so good that it hurts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.