Popular Tags: [View All]
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the Ally cards, such as the one for the Archbishop of Canterbury (#19), state that the card can be used for the following choices:

1) Draw one card and add to your hand.

2) Take up to two 1 IP Tokens from your unclaimed pool to place onto one or two RoP boxes.

3) +2 Votes or +2 IPs.

My question concerns the first two options.

First, in what situation might you not want to use a 3 OPS card, such as the Archbishop of Canterbury, so that you can randomly draw another card?

Second, why play the card to gain two 1 IP tokens when you could play it for 3 OPS and gain three IP tokens? Have I misunderstood the use of OPS's cards for play of IPs?

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play the card as an Ally, it gives you all the options of the ally card to use later. If you play it for OPS, then you forfeit having those options later. I think it's really just about whether you want to bankroll potential votes, IP's, or a card draw for later, rather than spend 3 OPS now. I know in my experience, extra votes have come in handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyle, thank you for your quick reply, and for sharing a bit of your game insights. I see that time and extended play will reveal what nuance lies within the choices.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question, please: if you play the Ally card for OPS, does it go back into the deck when you later reshuffle?

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, they should go back in the deck, unless there are specific instructions on the card that say otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is only removed when played for the Event, not if its used as a regular OPS card.

-K
co-developer, CoR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen A. Cuyler
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ally cards (green top bar) are placed into the discard pile when used - either immediately from an OPS play, or later for an ally effect.

None of the cards in the regular deck are ever removed from the game, only discarded (and can thus reappear periodically).

House cards are removed from the game when played for OPS and when the heir shown on them is killed (meaning they must have been in play already).

-SAC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.