Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Just for the fun of it- I tried to see if I had the Dominion glossary memorized. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea!

I think your card keywords could be extended:
Set aside - A temporary area used while resolving some cards.
Reveal - take the relevant card(s) and show it/them to everyone until they're happy they've seen the cards properly.
Loot at - take the relevant card and look at it yourself, without showing anyone else

Possibly some more but those were my first thoughts.

For regions of the table:
Kingdom card - cards from the ten randomly chosen piles of cards at the start of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fleece
United States
New Baltimore
MI
flag msg tools
Jesus Christ is Lord of my life.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all card used for building decks are a part of the supply, i.e. spoils, mercenary, black market deck, etc.
Maybe say Supply: All cards that can be bought in the players buy phase, or gained in other ways?

Looters give players ruins, not spoils

Buy: The player may play treasure cards and buy specified cards (black Market)

Maybe make something for coin tokens, embargo tokens, player mats, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few things I noticed on a quick read-through.

Team D20 wrote:
Supply- All cards in the center which can be acquired to build player decks

Not all "cards in the center which can be acquired" are in the Supply. It starts with the 7 base cards and the 10 kingdom cards, but then you could add other cards depending on what the rules tell you based on the current setup. But it does not include "not in the supply" cards such as the Black Market deck or the Prizes. Basically, you need a long-winded synonym for "the Supply consists of the cards in the Supply."

Quote:
Gain- Any time you acquire a card from the supply for any reason

You can gain cards from somewhere other than the Supply. For example, Thief allows you to gain cards from the Trash. On the other hand, you can acquire a card which does not involve gaining it (such as with Masquerade), so that complicates the wording you can use to define Gain.

You don't mention Buy. I would say something like:
Buy: You Buy a card by paying its current cost. As a consequence of Buying it, you Gain it.

You also don't define Action Phase, Buy Phase, and Clean-up Phase, which seems like a thing to do. Some people like to add "Draw Phase," but the drawing of a new hand of cards at the end of your turn is specified in the rules as occurring during the Clean-up Phase so there is no Draw Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Kingdom Card: The definition appears on the cards Young Witch and Black Market, so it's possibly worth explaining.

Gain: Take a copy of the card from the supply (unless another location is specified) and put it in your discard pile (unless otherwise specified).
Buy: Reduce your coin total by the cost of the chosen card, then gain it.

These two together should cover the buy/gain interaction. Note adding Pass as a keyword may be useful, but since it's only on one card, it's probably not worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all Prizes are Action cards.

I'm sure Martin meant "Look at" and somehow you copied the typo.

Play - Many cards use this as a term for enacting some other card's effect: Throne Room, Golem, King's Court, Procession.

Empty - No cards remain in the pile. (Game End condition, City)

During the Phases, it might be helpful to mention that playing Action cards and Treasure cards as well as buying is optional while Clean-up is mandatory.

And maybe Differently Named although this, like so many other terms, is just plain English - Distinctly different cards, such as each Knight, five distinct Ruins, and every other separate supply pile (Menagerie, Harvest, Tribute, Fairgrounds).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
Canada
flag msg tools
Pass a card, from masquerade!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
And maybe Differently Named although this, like so many other terms, is just plain English - Distinctly different cards, such as each Knight, five distinct Ruins, and every other separate supply pile (Menagerie, Harvest, Tribute, Fairgrounds).

The thing to define here, then, would be Name. It's the thing at the top of the card. Contrast: Type, the thing at the bottom of the card. And of course, as the rules say over and over and over, a card with multiple types, one of which is X, is a card of type X.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
I probably don't need to include "Look at" and "reveal".
Except "reveal" does not tell you what the rules do, and that's what to do with the card after you reveal it. You should put it back where it was unless instructed otherwise. That's not clear to beginners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
Not all Prizes are Action cards.

I'm sure Martin meant "Look at" and somehow you copied the typo.

Erm... hmm... nope, I definitely loot the top cards of my deck ninja. But yeah, it's been fixed now so okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve L

Massachusetts
msg tools
Team D20 wrote:
As stated in the title, today, I started thinking about how special terms seem to be the only hiccup I have in teaching Dominion, since the gameplay really flows easily. Nevertheless, sometimes, there is a word or phrase that has new players going "Huh?". So, just for the fun of it, I tried to list every term that cards reference throughout the game as a little bit of a player aid. Now, I'm simply checking with the community to see what I missed, since I did this entirely out of memory.

Home-made Dominion Glossary:

Regions of the table:
Supply- All cards in the center which can be purchased to build player decks

To me this seems too "fuzzy". I would be specific:

Supply -- The basic Treasure cards (Copper, Silver, Gold, and possibly Potion and Platinum), basic Victory cards (Estate, Duchy, Province, and possibly Colony), and the Kingdom cards selected when setting up the game. All other cards are not in the Supply, though some of them may be used in the game if Supply cards explicitly mention them.

Team D20 wrote:

Non-suply piles- Piles of special cards which can only be accessed via specific action cards (Spoils, Prize, Mercenary, Madman)

Does this need to be defined?

Team D20 wrote:

Discard- Your face up pile of cards which will later be shuffled into your deck
Deck- Your personal stack of cards you draw from
In play- cards you have already played this turn which have not been moved to the discard pile
Hand- cards you are currently holding in your hand.
Trash pile- spot for all trashed cards to be placed

I would group these terms a little differently. There is only one Supply and one Trash; all players share these regions. Each player has their own Discard, Deck, Play Area, and Hand.

Team D20 wrote:

Phases of each turn (Action cards can modify all of these):
Action- Play action cards
Buy- Play treasure cards and with total turn income, gain 1 card from the supply
Clean-up- place all cards in play and all cards in hand in the discard pile, and draw five cards from your deck, shuffling if necessary

When I explain how to play Dominion, I usually add a fourth phase:

Action -- you may play up to 1 Action card from your Hand
Buy -- you may play any number of Treasure cards from your Hand then you may Buy up to 1 card from the Supply
Cleanup -- Discard all cards in your Hand and all cards in your Play Area
Draw -- draw five cards from your Deck

This IMO makes it clearer that the last thing you do during your turn is draw cards; you don't wait until the start of your next turn, like many other games.

Team D20 wrote:

Main card types:
Action- Do something special. 1 action card per turn by default
Victory- worth points at the end of the game
Curse- -1 point at the end of the game
Treasure- worth the amount of money shown, sometimes have a special effect

Secondary card types:
Attack-Normally does something negative to all opponents
Reaction- can be revealed in certain situations for a specific benefit
Looter- Gives out Ruins cards in some way
Duration- Have an ongoing effect beyond this turn, aren't cleaned up in the regular way.
Shelter-Alternative starting cards
Ruins- Weak cards given out to opponents usually from a ruins pile.
Prize- Strong cards available only through the Tournament action card
Spoils- one time use treasure card (see card text)

Card references:
+ X cards- draw X cards from your deck.
+ X actions- You may play X additional action cards this turn

This does NOT mean you play those additional Action cards right now, simply that you increase the number of Action cards you may play this turn by X. [This is the most common misconception about how Dominion plays IMO, and since this is targeted towards new players it should nip that in the bud.] An example may be useful as well. "Normally you are allowed to play up to 1 Action card per turn. If you play Village (which gives +2 Actions) you may play up to 3 Action cards total that turn. Since you have already played 1 (the Village) you may play up to 2 additional Action cards this turn."

Team D20 wrote:

+ X Coin symbols- You have that much more spending power this turn
+ X buys- You may split your spending ability this round between 1+X additional cards this turn

To me, that's awkwardly worded. I would say "Normally you are allowed to Buy up to 1 card per turn. +X buys increases the maximum number of cards you are allowed to Buy by X. For instance, if you play a card with +2 buys you will be allowed to Buy up to 3 = 1+2 cards this turn."

Team D20 wrote:

+ X victory coin symbols- receive X victory coins worth points at the end of the game

I would clarify that "+X shield" is different than the "X shield" that appear on Victory cards. "+X" gives you victory tokens; "X" counts towards your score at the end of the game.

Team D20 wrote:

Gain- Take a copy of a card from the supply (unless another location is specified) and put it in your discard pile (unless otherwise specified).

Buy - Pay the cost of a card from the Supply (or elsewhere, if a card allows) then Gain that card.

Team D20 wrote:

Trash- Put a card in the trash pile. It is out of the game.
Set aside - A temporary area used while resolving some cards.

Once you've finished resolving the card that told you to set aside cards, return the set aside cards to where they were before you set them aside.

Team D20 wrote:

Reveal - take the relevant card(s) and show it/them to everyone until they're happy they've seen the cards properly.
Look at - take the relevant card and look at it yourself, without showing anyone else
Name- The title at the top of each card
Type- The category written at the bottom of each card

Type should refer to category or categories since some cards may have multiple Types (Action - Attack being the most common of these [I think].)

Cost - the number in the lower left corner of the card. Note that Treasure cards have both a Cost and a number of coins they produce when played. For instance Gold has a Cost of 6 and provides $3 when played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wybaar wrote:
Team D20 wrote:

Phases of each turn (Action cards can modify all of these):
Action- Play action cards
Buy- Play treasure cards and with total turn income, gain 1 card from the supply
Clean-up- place all cards in play and all cards in hand in the discard pile, and draw five cards from your deck, shuffling if necessary

When I explain how to play Dominion, I usually add a fourth phase:

Action -- you may play up to 1 Action card from your Hand
Buy -- you may play any number of Treasure cards from your Hand then you may Buy up to 1 card from the Supply
Clean-up -- Discard all cards in your Hand and all cards in your Play Area
Draw -- Some people think there is, or should be, a Draw Phase, but the rules clearly specify that drawing a new hand of cards is something you do at the end of the Clean-up Phase.

This IMO makes it clearer that the last thing you do during your turn is draw cards; you don't wait until the start of your next turn, like many other games.

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You missed out "Knight" from the secondary Types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there are not "main" types and "secondary" types. That's an artificial dichotomy that you've created. There are only types. There could easily be a card that is not an Action, Treasure, Victory, or Curse. In fact, Hovel is an example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.