Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were seeing how in general it's hard to curb the constant inflation of the Gold/Silver auctions as it seems to always be worth it for the person with the second highest amount of money to bid all or all minus 50K for a new company.

So how about turning it into a blind bid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't agree with your assumption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I don't agree with your assumption.

Please elucidate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Managing inflation, and in particular, managing the cost of VPs, are among the the central problems that the game presents players. Why eviscerate the game instead of learning how to play competently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please educate me on proper game theory regarding Work Hard/Play Hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JC put into words what my comment was implying. I had started to type out a full response including game theory, but I just don't have the energy lately. In general, I agree that this is the meat of the game, likely ignored by newer players who just see the negotiation and "pump and dump" gameplay. This is why I have won all games except one

Even if I were to agree with your presumption, I fail to see how a blind bid would help. Players know how much money everyone has, as payout are public knowledge. I am not one to commit precise numbers to memory, but I still find it rather simple to be aware of my competition and their relative standing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Is blind bidding ever the answer? I dislike it so much, but I'm not sure it has no uses.

Off-topic, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiamat wrote:
Is blind bidding ever the answer? I dislike it so much, but I'm not sure it has no uses.

Container?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So do you detest the blind-bidding for Investment order as well?

I'm fine with being disparaged as long as somebody eventually puts their money where their cynical mouth is and helps me to understand the better course of play for the Work Hard, Play Hard auctions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I love it, I don't have a ton of experience with the game, so take this with a grain. I think the open bid works because the meat of the game is timing with getting booted, and having the most cash, and fewest rivals. It should be most money wins, and not blind bid trickery, because dammit, I have the most money and I know how to use it.

I like the aspect of then having cash to buy a new company. Oh, you need a new company, ay, well you ain't getting both. Etc. Granted, you can do that math as a blind bid, but it just doesn't fit as well. Most won't see the open bid as an issue, and I am sure it was designed that way for a reason.

For love or hate, Tammany Hall is another example (one of a few?) that does blind bid well.

Edit: Also, the mechanism of setting the next bid's minimum really fits the free for all bidding, and less the calculated blind bid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I can't comment on Greed Inc (not played ) so I'll put this in spoiler

Spoiler (click to reveal)
bigloo33 wrote:
For love or hate, Tammany Hall is another example (one of a few?) that does blind bid well.

Well, I see the use in Container because a standard auction might tip your hand (regarding your hidden scoring criteria) as to how much you value something. In Tammany Hall I see that the blind bid makes thematic sense (in a contested election all sides should be paying something) but for gameplay I felt like almost anything would've been better than asking players to manage a dozen+ blind bid auctions in a row. Just my impression though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
My group has the issue of bidding up items so high as to make it virtually impossible for a person to bid on the next item the following rounds. As a result, we rarely get into double digit items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have played it a couple times now since I first posted.

All my games are with five players. I don't know if that changes anything.

We're still looking for a compelling reason as to why the gold shouldn't be bid up to the amount of money the second place in funds player has and then the same with the Silver going for the third place amount with the exception of holding money for the Entrepreneur phase of starting a new company and perhaps a special case for the second to last round of the game when there might be some forecasting where foregoing a reward might secure the gold reward in the final round for a win.

When would you want to allow someone to pay less than the absolute maximum you can extort them for giving them an effective bonus to their cash on hand the next time around?

I'm starting to accept that it's just how it is, and how it should be.

I don't think we've ever been in a state where no one could buy, though. Resignation profits have always grown to cover the auction gaps for at least SOMEONE and usually two or three players all the way through the end for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Bruce
United Kingdom
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blind bidding in this phase would destroy the essence of the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.