Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Date: January 21st, 2006

Game: Puerto Rico

Players: Jean-François, Nick, Tamara and Valdir (myself)

Nick, our tenth player for the day, arrived while we were playing Munchkin and said that he would like to join us for our next game when finished. As Jean-François reached the level 10 to end that game, the four of us discussed what we would like to try now. As Tamara and Jean-François had just bought Puerto Rico (they were punching the sheets right there!), that's what we decided to play.

Nick explained the game to the the two of them while I arranged the board and bits on the table. Boy, I love PR but setting it up is a chore!

Chance (a die from another game, really) decided that Nick would be the first player. The playing order was Nick:Tamara:JF:myself. In the first few rounds Nick and I did our moves slowly, explaining what we were doing and giving lots of advice to them. After just a few turns they were ready to fly on their own and the game started for real.

I shipped early and often, so that I got to an early lead, a bad sign in almost every game... In the beginning Nick was going for a money strategy, he was hoarding money as much as he could. He was lagging behind in terms of VPs, but was building strength for later on.

Tobacco only showed late, very late in the game, so that the trading house sat for most of the game with one empty spot, nobody was willing to part with their corn to clear the trading house, so that it was not used again. Yes, trader was chosen quite a few times, but only to get the coins that had accumulated on it, not for any real trading.

I crafted often late in the game, but even my small warehouse could not help me when Nick shipped. Almost every time I crafted, he shipped and as I was then last in turn, more than once I had to rot some barrels of products. Not nice!

None of us had enough money to buy one of the big violet buildings, they were out of reach for all players. The game ended when the VPs ran out. We still had quite a few colonists waiting to come from Spain (fifteen or so) and no one was anywhere near completing their building areas.

Final Score
Player: VPs + Extras = Total
Nick: 31 + 17 = 48
Valdir: 28 + 10 = 38
Jean-François: 23 + 9 = 32
Tamara: 21 + 10 = 31
In the end, Nick's money strategy beats us all. I was happy with my result anyway, even though you can't count beating two newbies...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.