Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
We started our Summoner Wars league last friday. My kids and I played a lot of Magic this past year and since February we started playing Android: Netrunner league. We think that games like these benefit quite a bit from organized play. These games provide a lot variety and many options that are often missed when just playing always the same people at home. Sometimes, our usual opponents tend to play a specific faction or three over and over. Even more adventurous opponents that try a variety of decks/colors/factions, tend to have specific styles of play that usually limit the full exploration of the games.

We have been wanting to get Summoner Wars going locally but were never really able to get any of the local stores excited. Plaid Hat Games does not have a program that incentives organized play and I don't really want to be paying 5 dollars every time we play a tournament.

FFG provides prize support for the Netrunner league therefore the store doesn't charge any extra from the players and the league environment is much more laid back than Magic tournaments.

I recently emailed Colby about some thoughts we had and he sent me a bunch of promos to use as prize support. I thought promos were pretty good. Having prizes, we can organize the league without charging people any extra. It is not such a valuable prize that would make people super competitive but, at the same time, it is a token that rewards doing well. We are giving a prize for the best records for each night and again to the players who do best over each 3-month cycle. And, we are only playing 1 friday each month.

I trust our capacity of getting a more than decent number of players to play Summoner Wars. We advertised the league here and at Plaidhatgames.com. I wish the store had announced it as well which, realistically, they didn't do. The first night was successful and I hope they will announce next month's better.

We had 11 players, 9 different factions. We will be playing 3 rounds per night but we only got 2 rounds during the first night. I will try to give a brief account of the match ups and results here. As I played, I know very little detail of the other games.

First Round

Me (Cloaks) vs Kevin (Jungle Elves)
I just met Kevin there for the first time. He told me that he had only recently started playing and that he had only played against his wife. He clearly knew what he was doing. He focused primarily on champion play and had me on the ropes for a while. Fortunately, I used my favorite strategy which is to roll like a champ. Other than a couple of tries against Abua Shi, I think I hit 12-14 dice in a row. Difficult to beat that. Vlox was pretty bruised but I won in the end as Violet finished Abua Shi off.

Tyler P. (Shadow Elves) vs Jack W. (Cave Goblins)
Tyler is one of the people that I introduced to SW and he absolutely loves the game. He is a very strong player and he is always thinking about new strategies. Jack is also solid and he went 2-1 on our tournament last year. I know Jack made Tyler sweat but the Shadow Elves won.

Matheus (Phoenix Elves) vs Tyler S. (Guild Dwarves)
Matheus has been playing very well since last year when he changed from Tundra Orcs to Phoenix Elves. He went 9-3 at GenCon only losing to the eventual champion of each tournament. Tyler played Fallen Kingdom for a long time but his game really evolved now that he his playing the GD and he is playing well. Tyler destroyed 2 walls and looked like he could win but Matheus controlled the game enough to bring his 3 champions and win the game.

Lilia (Guild Dwarves) vs Victor (Tundra Orcs)
Lilia is very good at games in general but very casual about SW. Victor loved SW when it first came out but hadn't played much more than a few iOS games recently. I don't know any details but the Dwarves won.

Thiago (Sand Goblins) vs Jack P. (Mountain Vargath)
These guys are best friends and both are very good players. Their games can go either way and I know that this time was tense and close, coming down to the final rolls. Thiago won.

Miguel, bye.

Second Round
I gave myself a bye since we were going to play only 2 rounds and I wanted everybody to have a good time. A few interesting match ups.

Matheus (PE) and Tyler P. (SE)
The strongest match up for this round. It seems that their styles are not very different. They are used to their decks and make good use of their strong events. Use their strong commons sparingly and try to bring all their champions. Matheus was smart in positioning his walls to keep Tyler's far reaching commons and champions away from Prince Ellien. I think Matheus also timed better bringing his champions and overwhelmed Selundar in the end.

Kevin (JE) vs Jack W. (CG)
I only know that Kevin won what says a lot about him. We already know that Jack is good and Kevin came out on top even though he has only recently started playing. Sounds good.

Tyler S. (GD) vs Victor (TO)
Victor's second game against the GD of the night did not go much better than the first one. As I said above, Tyler has been playing much better lately and had a good night in the end.

Lilia (GD) vs Jack P. (MV)
They played against each other during our previous tournament and Jack won. He plays SW a whole lot more than she does. It looks like he was really applying pressure until Thorkur was summoned and with Heroic Feat was able to inflict 4 wounds on Sunderved. The game was close after that and Lilia ended up winning a very close finish.

Thiago (SG) vs Miguel (TO)
Miguel has a solid TO deck and he is hard to beat. It is also annoying that he uses Bragg, all his Freeze and keeps Grognack behind a sea of walls. Miguel was very close to winning but luck and Biter were on the Goblins' side and were too much for the Orcs to overcome. Thiago won yet another tense finish.

Final standings
Lilia, Matheus and Thiago 2-0
Me 1-bye
Tyler S, Tyler P, Kevin 1-1
Miguel 0-bye
Jack P, Jack W, Victor 0-2

The 2-0 players were to receive Sairook but they were gracious and, for that first night, they passed the prizes to Jack W. and Kevin who still didn't have that promo. Very nice and right in the league's spirit.

I had a great time. I had a lot of fun playing Kevin who was a great opponent and an all around nice guy. People looked like they were enjoying themselves and it is always fun to have a bunch of people playing Summoner Wars. We will play again on May 17th and I hope we pick up a few new people for the next league night as it is free and everyone is invited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for putting this together. It was a lot of fun and am looking forward to playing summoner wars more. I won't be able to make the May meetup but will hopefully be there in June. It was great meeting you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Demeriat
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's great to hear any time a League has that spirit of participation. Very nice, and congrats on a successful launch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.