Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A S
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I debated tacking this onto the previous thread, but figured it was different enough to start a new one. . .

I too am thinking about taking the Carcassonne plunge. Having done a bit of research, I see the general consensus was to buy the Rio Grande Big Box. However, being out of print, that is now up to $100 USD and so not really worth the money.

That leaves the Z-Man Big Box (Big Box 4) at $74 USD (using current Amazon prices). There seems to be consensus that core set + inns & cathedral + traders& builders is the way to go. These could be purchased individuals for about $58 USD or as the Z-Man Big Box for $12 and would get me the six mini expansions.

Adding to the complication, the Z-man core set has the Rivers, the Big Box does not.

So the question is, are those mini expansions worth the $12 extra, especially since I would be missing out on the rivers to get them? Or should I just get the core + two favored expansions and call it good.

Thanks much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Some of the mini expansions are better than others, but if you're effectively paying $12 for them, I'd say that's well worth it.

I'm not sure how you work that out, though. If the base set + Inns & Cathedrals + Traders & Builders is $58 and the Big Box is $74, the difference is $16. Perhaps I've misunderstood or perhaps you've miscounted, but either way that's good.

You don't (in my opinion) need the River; I'm sure Z-Man will publish The River II at some point in the near future, and it's the same but better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:

I'm not sure how you work that out, though. If the base set + Inns & Cathedrals + Traders & Builders is $58 and the Big Box is $74, the difference is $16.

Perhaps sloppy math on my part. Though it seems the price is currently floating between $70-$74, depending on which vendor pops up in Amazon.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Well, if it's worth it at $74, it's even more worth it at $70!

Not everyone is very impressed with the mini expansions, but I think most of us would agree that some are very good and others less so.

But that's true of all the larger expansions (which tend to be effectively combinations of smaller elements) too! Except I&C and T&B, neither of which really have any duff elements, which is one reason they're the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Count, King & Cult is already on the release list for Z-Man and includes River II in it. That should be out later this year, I believe. River I is available through Cundco.de, a shop operated by Hans im Glück.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humpty Dumpty
msg tools
You should be able to get the big box cheaper than that. I got the same bigbox off of yoyo.com around Christmas for $50.00 (before a 20% off coupon). Maybe that was just a one-time only deal, but I think if you wait a bit you should be able to find it on sale somewhere between 50 and 60.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Miniature Market has the Z-Man Games Carcassonne Big Box for only $48.74. If you can find other games you want, they have free shipping at $99.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.