Subject: another type of xwing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jim dim
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I saw recently the news of Star Trek taking a stab at this... yes, doesn't look like much fun. I'm sure several other franchises would somewhat work with having an "X-wingish" feel to them. I was on youtube the other day, and saw an old advertisement... you know what would actually be fun and work really well for a game like this and is related in the space world?

Wing Commander

Think about it, it'd be pretty cool. Kilrathi ships and Hornets flying around... There are several different ships per faction. Would be a neat one for dudes that are really good at doing the whole shapeways thing anyways.

Just a thought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I feel there is just no better and exciting setting for space dogfighting than Star Wars.
If a cool space dogfighting game were out with another setting I would think:"If only this was available for Star Wars...".
So, I have no need for anything, but further Star Wars products in this context.

Others may have other desires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim dim
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh I absolutely agree. Star wars fan through and through. I merely saw so many suggestions and critiques of other franchises in that Star Trek post that I thought I'd mention another possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex McKechnie
msg tools
mbmb
Battlestar Galactica.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Albertese wrote:
Battlestar Galactica.

Only two types of combat ships makes for a very boring game. I'd also miss the presence of massive Battlestars and Base Ships. BSG would not work for this system at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
BSG would not work for this system at all.

It really wouldn't (although, arguably, there are four possible ships, if you count heavy raiders and raptors). The real issue is that BSG makes a halfhearted stab at real world physics, and X-Wing just doesn't. I think there's a dogfighting game out there for BSG, but it isn't the X-Wing engine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferlin Pomfrett
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
It would work better for original BSG. But i like the idea of a Space Battleship Yamato variation ( we have one that we play but it is more concerned with large ships) Between the Earth fighters and the Gamilon, Comet Empire and Dark Nebula there is a lot of potential for variations and action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus H.
msg tools
There would be at least 5 different Ships:
Mk2 Viper
MK7 Viper
Raptor
Raider
Heavy Raider

But I agree, without Battlestars, Base Stars and at least a few convoiships there would be no BSG feeling. The different flyphysics (new BSG) might also be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gilgalad85 wrote:
Wing Commander

Like the 'Freespace' games, while the setting/mechanics/theme would work just fine with the X-Wing mechanics (complete with pilot skill differences and ship upgrades, etc)...

...I think you'd be just tying your hands with it. You'd be paying money for a license that doesn't actually get you anything. X-Wing may well be pulling in Star Wars fans who wouldn't otherwise play miniature games. Can you really say the same (particularly at $15 a pop for the minis!) for 'Wing Commander'? 'Freespace'? 'Homeworld'? Or even TV shows that would otherwise work - 'Space: Above and Beyond', etc...

About the best shot FFG would have, if they really wanted to spin off another series using the engine, would be Battlestar Galactica. They already have that license, which takes that cost out of the picture, not to mention art assets already created for their BSG-series games (again, lowered cost to FFG). And it's a franchise people easily recognize.

About the only problem with that is that the flight physics for that series...aren't quite what we've got here. But it's close...which BSG made a token gesture towards 'conservation of energy' and vector movement...it was really only a token. The fighters still had a tendency to 'fly' as if in an atmosphere...PARTICULARLY the Cylon fighters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Only two types of combat ships makes for a very boring game. I'd also miss the presence of massive Battlestars and Base Ships. BSG would not work for this system at all.

Well, first of all there are far more than two ships available. Just like in X-Wing having "named" pilots make a different ship.

There are Viper Mark II's, Viper Mark VII's, Raptors, Shuttlecraft, Cylon Raiders and Cylon Sparrows.

Here's some examples: http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/bsg-wing-cards-...

The only reason I didn't include a Cylon Heavy Raider is because no one's every made a toy for the Heavy Raider!

Also, why miss the capital ships? Here are rules for Basestars & Battlestars for X-Wing: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BSGgaminginminiature/fil...

Unfortunately no one every made any Basestars, but there is a Galactica that's a good size. http://www.moebiusmodels.com/ourkits/kits/productpage-bg.htm...

I'm thinking it will work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hatfield
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think it would be cool to have a reintroduction of B5 capital ships over fighters, including fighters as small markers (something like as was done in Battlefleet Gothic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
wissenlander wrote:
I think it would be cool to have a reintroduction of B5 capital ships over fighters, including fighters as small markers (something like as was done in Battlefleet Gothic).

How about the captial ships with fighters sqaudrons done the way STAW treats the Hiedkie and federation fighter squadrons? I think you would need need to change the approach that all hits do only one point of damage? Only because in B5 they used a lot more fighter squadrons, whereas in STAW you'll only have one per fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.