9 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: interceptor and missiles. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forget the name of the weapon offhand but the weapon that provides 2 missile dice doing 2 damage each.(plasma missiles I think they are)

They do not require any power to put on the ship.

Is it possible to place 4 of them on an interceptor, covering up his weapon slot, the empty slot, his power source and his engines? I understand he would have no engines and no power source anymore and could not move, but is that legal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, because interceptors, like every other ship (except starbases) must have a drive at all times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Max is 2 for standard interceptors. As Dan pointed out, you are required to have a drive and the drive requires a power source, leaving only two other spots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigland wrote:
No, because interceptors, like every other ship (except starbases) must have a drive at all times.

ah alright then, so the only way to really have an immobile missile platform would be to load up a star base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that all ships must have a drive, as as a corollary a energy source to power the drive. (Rules page 13 - also star bases cannot have a drive).

Also, don't forget that the base roll to hit is "6", and plasma missiles only fire ONCE at the beginning of combat, so they're fairly useless unless combined with some targeting computers. But a swarm of fighters with plasma missiles, gluon computers (plus power source & drive) is a force to be reckoned with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if you want a ship without a drive, it has to be a star base.

However, a better question may be why would you want an immobile missile platform? Any ship with even a small amount of hulls would have a decent shot against no computer missiles, and if all you have is missiles you basically lose any encounter against ships that can withstand the initial attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VillainousEye wrote:
The rules state that all ships must have a drive, as as a corollary a energy source to power the drive. (Rules page 13 - also star bases cannot have a drive).

Also, don't forget that the base roll to hit is "6", and plasma missiles only fire ONCE at the beginning of combat, so they're fairly useless unless combined with some targeting computers. But a swarm of fighters with plasma missiles, gluon computers (plus power source & drive) is a force to be reckoned with!

Heck yeah. I have only played 2 games so far, once a two player (letting my friend read the rules as I punched out all the pieces and sorted everything), then once a 3 player. I Myself have not read the rules assuming that he read it all correctly.

It appears we missed something and I am going to go read them all myself now.

The last game we played, we allowed the interceptor to have 4 missiles on it, my friend that actually read the rules said that it's fine but the ship couldn't move. We didn't confirm because he was certain.

Oh well, time to go downstairs and grab the rule book.

Thanks for the quick answers guys, I feel bad for asking a question that is stated clearly in the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Yes, if you want a ship without a drive, it has to be a star base.

However, a better question may be why would you want an immobile missile platform? Any ship with even a small amount of hulls would have a decent shot against no computer missiles, and if all you have is missiles you basically lose any encounter against ships that can withstand the initial attack.

It was turn 9, and I had no ship upgrades aside from missiles and was about to get attacked. So for the fun of it, I loaded up my interceptors with missiles for a last stand. Although it was cheating, the guy coming after me said it was legal, I ended up blowing up his dreadnaught and a cruiser with my 5 missile interceptors lol. 40 dice YEAH! It was just for the fun of it really, I was pretty hosed during the game. I did get second though with 27 victory points. It would have been 25 VP had I not cheated and had twice as many missiles, I would have lost that sector they were in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Rigby
United States
Spring Hope
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Designer & Inventor Emeritus
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:

Been there, tried it, bought the farm. It gets very quiet and lonely on a starbase right after it fired all it's missiles, and a single fighter is left... You can almost see it smiling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.