Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Date: January 21st, 2006

Game: Saga

Players: Jean-François, Nick and Valdir (myself)

I had brought Hazienda (one of my latest acquisitions) with me, I wanted to play it after the PR game. However, Tamara didn't want to play anymore as she had some reading to do for school. As we were only three players now, I didn't feel that it would be worth playing Hazienda, I really want my first session of this game to be with four.

We discussed a little bit on what could we could play and I proposed Saga, a light and fluffy game that plays well with two, three or four players. Nick said that fluffy for him is not bad and JF was also ok with it, so I explained the rules to them and off we went conquering lands with our armies.

I gave them some strategy tips, I even mentioned that in one of my three-player games two players had fought hard for the gold country (that pays two gold each turn) and the third had won because of that.

When Nick and I were down to two cards each (JF had a ton of cards in his hand and was out of contention), I thought I had the win guaranteed because I played first, so I would run out of cards first than him. I was also beating him on overall VPs, so I was sure I would win this one. Then he pulls one out of the hat: he plays his second to last card on his green army, winning that land from JF and put his last card on the violet army, using that land's special ability! Ouch!

Final Score
Player: Points
Nick: 68
Valdir: 53
Jean-François: 9
Nice win for Nick with an unexpected move that took both JF and myself by surprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two more games, to close the event
Date: January 21st, 2006

Game: Saga

Players: Charles, Ivan (my son) and Valdir (myself)

When we finished our game of Take 6 (see my session report here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/96216), the Game of Thrones on the other table that had been going for more than four hours finally concluded as well. Some people left and we were down to seven players, a dreadful number of people. We talked a lot about what we should do and in the end another player also had to leave, so three decided to try out Caylus. I would love to try this game, but not at this late hour, so I declined.

Ivan and Charles, who had been involved in the titanic struggle of the AGoT game joined me for some more conquering in the game of Saga. I taught the rules to Charles and once more we used the crown side of the land cards, as indicated for newbies. I was able to put down all my cards first and won with considerable ease as you can see.

Final Score
Valdir: 50
Ivan: 28
Charles: 24

------------------------------------------

As we finished the first game I mentioned that I'm always playing it with the crown side of the cards, because I'm teaching it to new players, so Charles wanted to have another go at it, this time with the other side of those cards.

It seemed that it worked well for him, because he went from last place in the previous game to first place in this one.

Final Score
Charles: 50
Ivan: 37
Valdir: 21
At this point, Ivan and I concluded our participation in the gaming afternoon, said goodbye to the three heroes who were fighting it out on Caylus and came home. Considering that two days ago I wasn't even thinking I would play today, it ended up being a most enjoyable afternoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davo Brawn
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ValJor wrote:
Then he pulls one out of the hat: he plays his second to last card on his green army, winning that land from JF and put his last card on the violet army, using that land's special ability! Ouch!
from what i can tell..
Purple
Middle: A player in control of the purple land may once, instead of play a knight to build on attack troops, reinforce the defense troops of the purple land. The color rule still applies. This action cannot be used again until the purple land is conquered.

.. it looks like the victory may be tainted. ninja

bonne chance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
groening wrote:
ValJor wrote:
Then he pulls one out of the hat: he plays his second to last card on his green army, winning that land from JF and put his last card on the violet army, using that land's special ability! Ouch!
from what i can tell..
Purple
Middle: A player in control of the purple land may once, instead of play a knight to build on attack troops, reinforce the defense troops of the purple land. The color rule still applies. This action cannot be used again until the purple land is conquered.

.. it looks like the victory may be tainted. ninja

What about the next sentence?
Right: At the end of the game, the player is allowed to play one card from hand to any of the defense or attack troops, provided she abides by the color rule. This card may not be used to conquer a land.

Wouldn't that have allowed him to shed a card to purple's defense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.