Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Sails of Glory» Forums » General

Subject: Kickstarter Lieutenant Pledge is Now Excellent Value - 46 Hours To Go rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Talorien
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sails of Glory Lieutenant Pledge Analysis ($140)

Game -- $90 retail

4x Kickstarter Ship Packs -- $80 retail*

Game Mat, Attitude Indicator, Combat Ruler, Captain & Crew Ability Deck, Terrain Pack #1, Terrain Pack #2, two free sets of Smoke Clouds -- $73+ worth of rewards**

Extra ship mats and action tokens (4 sets) -- unknown retail price. I'm conservatively pricing this at $8, or two dollars a set***

Total retail value -- $251 plus free shipping to the US

Total discounted value if bought later, at 35% discount online -- $163.15 plus shipping (many online retailers offer free shipping at $100). Retail ship packs instead of KS exclusives.****

Kickstarter current offer -- pay $140 for the above plus free shipping to the US (= 44% discount over retail)

---------------------------
Other Pledge Levels

The Captain and higher level pledges may also be good value (or even better). I did the above calculation for my own pledge decision, and haven't looked at those. Feel free to post for those if you like!

If you don't want to miss the exclusives but want to hold off on the rest, you might want to consider pledging at the $65 Marine level (all four exclusive ships, plus double-sided ship cards and logs, and scenario PDF) or $35 British/French Gunner level (2 ships, plus ship cards/logs and PDF).

--------------------------
Notes

* The expected retail for each ship will average $20 (see below). The two smaller ships are $15 each, and the two larger ones $18 each, in the Kickstarter. A set of two (large/small) is $35 (French/British Gunner pledge) and a set of all four is $65 (Marine pledge).

The eBay value of the set of four KS exclusive ships could be anywhere from $65 up, since Ares has stated the the exact ships (same packaging and paint job) will not be reprinted.

Sails of Glory Kickstarter Main Page wrote:
The medium suggested retail price of Ship Packs after the Kickstarter will be $20.

Sails of Glory Kickstarter Q&A Section wrote:
Any ship which is listed as a Kickstarter Exclusive will not be reprinted with the same packaging and paint job. It is possible that future ship packs using the same model will use the same game stats, but the Kickstarter version will remain recognizable and unique in its combination of packaging, components and colors.

** The $73 value is the total cost ($58) of all these extras if added as separate, additional options within the Kickstarter (e.g. by paying $20 for a Game Mat), plus an extra $15 because the Game Mat is expected to retail for $35.

The other extras are also expected to retail for higher than their Kickstarter price, but I'm not sure by exactly how much more:

The indicated value of the rewards is based on their cost if purchased as individual options (we expect their retail price to be higher).

Sails of Glory Kickstarter Update #8 wrote:
We expect the Sails of Glory Game Mat to have a $35 price tag in stores. [See here].

Lieutenant level pledges: free Game Mat, Attitude Indicator, Combat Ruler, Captain&Crew Ability Deck, Terrain Pack #1, Terrain Pack #2, two free sets of Smoke Clouds ($ 58 worth of rewards)

Additionally, the minimum retail value will go up by $12 (three damage counter bags at $4 each) if the project hits $275K (currently $238K with 46 hours to go).

*** Buried in the Kickstarter general comments is info that each KS ship pack will come with an extra ship mat and action token set. These won't be included in ship packs bought at retail.

For further discussion, see this BGG thread.

Sails of Glory Kickstarter Comments Page wrote:
#Counter sets. The Starter includes one set of counters, and the stretch goal at 1,000 is the 2nd set for Captains. Each ship requires a ship log, ship mat and a set of action tokens. The Starter Set includes 4 of these, so if you play with advanced rules, there's a limit at 4. ALL THE KICKSTARTER SHIPS ARE COMPLETE WITH SHIP MATS AND ACTION TOKENS. This means if you get 16 ships, you also get 16 mats and 16 set of action tokens.

**** This assumes one buys four similar ship packs in place of the four KS exclusive ships. See first note.

----------------------------
Disclaimers

My information is gathered, in good faith, from the Sails of Glory Kickstarter page. I believe it accurate at time of posting, but please check the info and the math yourself, if you're thinking of pledging.

I work in the games industry for another company, with no relation to Ares Games, and post here privately, as a fan. I once met Roberto and he's a nice guy (and gave me free stuff, which happens at industry trade fairs) but have not been in touch with him re Sails of Glory.

I've pledged at the Lieutenant level, and stand to gain from the counter bags stretch goal if the project hits $275K.

The game isn't released. You can view the gameplay videos and BGG prerelease reviews.

You don't need $140 to play; one Starter Set ($90 retail, $70-80 KS Mate pledge, or $58.50 discounted online) is enough. However, $140 gives 8 ships instead of 4, and a bunch of nice extras like the playmat, all at a substantial discount.

Why am I posting? I did the research for myself, and wanted to share. I think it's an excellent offer and that Ares makes awesome games and is well worth supporting. YMMV.

------------------------------
The Sails of Glory Kickstarter has 46 hours to go at time of posting (5.30pm CST, Sunday, Apr 14).

Pledge levels summary here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leacock
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Daniel.
I crunched the numbers myself last night and decided to stay at my current Lieutenant level, which is a very good value.

The Captain level is tempting but am thinking that if I want to contribute more money into this Kickstarter then I would add a second Lieutenant level onto my current pledge. That gets me a second starter set and another set of 4 exclusive ships rather than the other 8 ships. All of these initial ships will have double-sided ship cards and ship logs, so two sets of stats. And with the extra ship mats for all Kickstarter ships that means I can play 8 or 16 ship battles.

Ares Games is allowing backers to add on funding for a wide range of options, as well as adding on additional pledge levels (at least for those at Mate level or above).

Sails of Glory - Miniatures Ship Combat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee, thanks. I'd been resisting till now. Now, I've jumped in and took the last lieutenant level...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One step ahead of me, as usual!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TnT! wrote:
Gee, thanks. I'd been resisting till now. Now, I've jumped in and took the last lieutenant level...

There are still regular Lieutenant levels left, which are unlimited ($140).

(The early bird $130 Lieutenant was limited to 60 pledges. The first post is based on the regular Lieutenant level, not the early bird level.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're seriously interested, it might be worth it to keep an eye on it as some of the Early Bird levels do open up from time to time. I think this has to do with EB Lt. levels moving up to Captain and/or international pledgers discovering the better Worldwide options and switching to one of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.