Popular Tags: [View All]
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading the 18Rhl rulebook at the moment, and there are a few questions about running trains that I cannot find the answers for.

1. "A route may not include the same town/city/off-board destination twice."
What counts as the same for this rule? In the rulebook, it is stated that Hamburg and Berlin count as the same location for this rule, as does the entire Ostl. Ruhrgebiet. The two locations in Koln count as the same, but the other city on the same hex (Deutz) counts as different.

Now what about the external links Nimwegen and Arnheim? Liege, the town at L9, and Basel? Basel and Frankfurt?
(Edit to add:) And the three locations on the Duisburg tile? Unlike the Koln case, no separate city name is given for the location on the other side of the Rhine.
And OO-tiles and other tiles with two towns/cities? I would assume these count as different, because if they didn't, one would have a problem reaching the town on the orange Osterath tile.

2. Ferry costs
The rulebook is silent about the meaning of the "30/40" revenue of the green Rhine metropoles. Am I correct that this works the same as the Hamburg tile in 1835? That is, the revenue of the city (40 Marks) is reduced by 10 when using the ferry across the Rhine (e.g. to reach a station marker on the other side of the river, or to continue the route on the other bank).

3. Blocking external links
It is stated in the rulebook that a station marker in Munster, Minden or Roermond blocks other companies from running a train to the more distant location (Hamburg, Berlin, Iron Rhine).
But do markers in Boxtel, Venlo, and Roermond also prevent other companies from running to those cities? My assumption is that they don't.
(So that would mean that Roermond has two separate revenues: a normal 10/20 income that cannot be blocked, and a bonus of 80 marks that can be blocked.)

4. Rheingold
Rheingold trains can skip cities. Does that include blocked cities? Or does it just mean that they run like 1830 Diesels (infinitely long routes), but getting income only from the 8 highest cities in their run?

Must Rheingold trains necessarily run to both RGE areas?
At one point (paragraph 10.3 in my rulebook v. 3.0) it seems to say that they do (but that rule can also be read as saying it should only start at one of these areas).
But at another point (paragraph 11.5), the Rhine Metropolis bonus is conditional on running from RGE to RGE area; this would imply it's optional.

And if it's mandatory: if a company does not have a route from RGE to RGE area, it cannot run Rheingold trains at all? And a company without a train could be forced to buy an 8 which it can never run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Janich
Germany
Meerbusch
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Eugine,

here are the answers to your questions by the designer:
1. "A route may not include the same town/city/off-board destination twice." What counts as the same for this rule?
Answer: Maastricht and Liege are on different off-board destinations! Nimwegen/Arnheim and Basel/Frankfurt count each as the same.

And the three locations on the Duisburg tile? Unlike the Koln case, no separate city name is given for the location on the other side of the Rhine.
Answer: The name of this town is Rheinhausen. It has been dropped due to space restrictions.

And OO-tiles and other tiles with two towns/cities? I would assume these count as different, because if they didn't, one would have a problem reaching the town on the orange Osterath tile.
Answer: Separate towns and cities on the same hex may include in the same route with the exceptions of the cases descripted above.

2. Ferry costs
Answer: see Rule 11.1
Crossing the Rhine (green tiles only)
The green tiles for the “Rhine Metropolis” show two income amounts. The higher one is used, when the route does not cross the Rhine while the lower one applies to routes which cross the Rhine.

3. Blocking external links
Answer: Correct!

4. Rheingold
a) Rheingold trains can skip cities. Does that include blocked cities? Or does it just mean that they run like 1830 Diesels (infinitely long routes), but getting income only from the 8 highest cities in their run?
Answer: Rule 10.1
A route may start and/or end at a city whose station marker spaces are entirely occupied by markers of other corporations but may not run through such a city.
This clearly indicates that a Rheingold may not run through blocked cities but may skip cities for revenue counting. There are also other restrictions as descripted in rule 11.6

b) Must Rheingold trains necessarily run to both RGE areas?
Answer: No, but if its route does not include a RGE area on both sides of the map it does not receive the Rheingold-Bonus

c) And if it's mandatory: if a company does not have a route from RGE to RGE area, it cannot run Rheingold trains at all? And a company without a train could be forced to buy an 8 which it can never run?
Answer: There is nothing that prevents a company from running a Rheingold! The only handicap may be that it cannot generate the Rheingold-Bonus.

I hope that helps.

Wolfram
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.