Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a while, I've been working on a small fan expansion of BattleCON of my own, with all my weird ideas. And now that I'm finally getting close to finishing it (or at least balancing it enough to post a PDF for people to playtest it deeper) I decided to create a post here to start selling myself.

The expansion, for now called simply 'Newcomers", is just a series of new characters and a few extra game modes I had in my mind, without any actual theme about it all. It consists on 9 extra characters + a boss (maybe 8, if one of mine gets picked for Wanderers) and 2 extra game modes.

The characters are the following:

Nameless is a Dilophosaurus, and a character I created to fill a gap I noticed in the game: a VERY beginner’s character. Nameless doesn't have a Unique ability and only has one Overdrive. All of her Styles (Poisonous, Sprinting, Hard Hide, Savage & Ripping) and Base (Tail Whip) have only basic modifications and the basic abilities of move, pull/push and soak/stun guard, reducing her gameplay to the most basic elements in the whole BattleCON game. She makes up for this lack of resources with sheer power and stats, and her styles are balanced against other players using tokes and/or uniques, being a middle range generalist with +0~1 range across the board. Her Overdrive is the basic Monstruous Rake, a basic, very fast and very damaging strike. Hopefully, I can manage to make her interesting for more experienced players, but the main goal is to give people a character created to teach the game.

King Mask is a luchador that was born here, but I revamped him completly. He is a high mobility/low range character who can be competent in both priority or power. His unique ability is Chaining, and it gives his Styles (Top Rope, Perfect, Tombstone, People's & Chair) different bonuses depending on what bases and styles he has in his Discard 1. His unique base is Suplex, which has bigger damage the closer the opponent is, and his overdrives are the Five Moves of Doom, that has power equal to the sum of power in both his discards, and the Suicide Dive, that causes damage in proportion to the life points spent by him.

Rex the Dog is a drunkard bar brawler. Like all drunkards, he isn't particularly strong or fast, but it's damn hard to keep down. Rex's Styles (Drunken, Laughing, Loudmouthed, Stumbling & Numb) have several Start and/or End of Beat effects, and quite a few powers that work specifically when he is stunned, some of them more powerful than the actual attack. His Unique Ability is Called Shots, that allows him to lower his power and aim his attack by spending a token (Eyes, Groin, Knee and Shoulder), giving the opponent a penalty next beat if he hits, and his unique base, Bottle Smash, makes said token penalties even stronger. His Overdrives are the Crippling Combination, that allows him to ante all of his tokens at once if it connects, and the Liqueur Fire Spit, that causes damage two beats in a roll.

Bruno Vargas was also born here, at the Character Creation Contest. Bruno is a force-field soldier, who can place his three Force Field Tokens on the board (despite being on the board, they're still tokens, not markers, and can be affected by token removal abilities, like Vanaah's and Lixis') His tokens have different powers depending on how many of them are on the board, where they are on the board and which Style (Barrier, Holografic, Portal, Cloning & Flashing) he played, with his Hard Light base helping him to place his tokens on the board. His overdrives are the Hard Light Vise, with a range of anywhere between any two of his tokens, and the Last Resort Device, that empowers his tokens until the end of the match.

Yerohin Hovack is a holy martyr whose powers are directly connected to his life. The more damage he takes, the stronger he gets, reaching the top of his potential when near death. All his Styles (Masochist, Suicidal, Martyr, Self-Harming & Painful) gain bonuses based on counters he gains due to his Unique Ability, Martyrdom, and have special abilities that activate only when he is below certain level of life, so does his unique base, Protection. His overdrives are the Crosscutter, a full board damaging attack, and the Bless of the Holy Spirit, that heals him without removing any Martyr marker.

Janis Rides-with-the-Eagles is a chosen of the totems, a native-inspired character. One of the simplest characters I creates, Janis is a defensive generalist, that doesn't hit that hard but its tough to get hit. As a chosen of the totems, she has five totem tokens, the Buffalo, Owl, Snake, Coyote and Eagle, that she can spend only one per beat, recovering them only after spending the last one of them all. Her styles are Meditative, Medicine, Catch and, Heated & Totemic, with Bow as an unique base. Her overdrives are the raw damage Rage of the Spirits and the counter-strike Catch the Lightning.

Phineas Darkwatch is a quirky boy genius who relies on his invention/unique ability, the Flashback Vest, to gain any advantage during the match. He has two unrecoverable Flashback tokens that he can ante to rewind a beat to it's reveal phase and chose another attack pair. When fighting, Phineas is a weak speed-devil, who relies on hitting fast and multiple times. His styles are Rewinding, Fast-Forward, Freeze, Traveling & Erasing, with Watch as his base. Phineas' overdrives are the Flashback Paradox, that repeats itself once for every point of priority he has above the target's, and the Chrono Vision, that splits the reveal phase in two, with the styles being revealed before the bases being chosen.

Ryder Chang is a martial arts expert, who is the sole master of two completely different disciplines, the Heavenly and Earthly arts, and can change between both of them during the matches through the use of his unique base, Switch. Unlike other stance fighters, like Kallistar, he doesn't simply gets different bonuses or penalties, but shifts between two completely different sets of Styles, just like a one man tag team (or just like Gen). His Heavenly style is based on speed and special effects and consists of Blocking, Ducking, Avoiding, Deflecting & Reflecting, with his overdrives being either the As Above, that gives him a permanent Priority Bonus, and As in Heaven, who permanently weakens the opponent. His Earthly style focuses on sheer toughness and overwhelming power, with Blasting, Piercing, Destroyer, Exploding & Resisting. Here his overdrives are On Earth, who gives him permanent stun guard, and the raw damaging So Below.

Rhyah Chang is an orkish amazon (originally she had a much more orkish last name, but law of conservation of detail hit me hard and I decided to give her her husband's last name). Together with her Styles (Entrapping, Agressive, Subtle, Unpredictable & Expert) and base (Cover) Rhyah has four weapon cards (Sword & Shield, Crossbow, Great Axe and Bare Hands) and plays attack trios instead of attack pairs, that cycle like any other attack pair. Her overdrives are The One Weapon, that allows her to chose one of her weapon cards, even from her discards, place it in front of her and use twice its bonuses in all her hands, removing the other weapons from the game, and Walking Armoury, that keeps her weapons from being discarded.

The boss I'm creating (and now that I've seen the manual, I know how) is Völken, a stone giant that fights the opponents walking on his shoulders. Because of that, Völken is always hit by an attack, but can't be stunned, and when he attacks, there are only a few safe spaces on the board. Thus, positioning is vital against him.

Last, but not least, are the Crowds. Similar to arenas, the Crowds give the fighters extra resources while they are cheered for. Crowds are fickle, though, and they can cheer for the other guy easily if you don't keep them entertained.

I know, I know, too long, no time to read, but i felt like posting it all. If everything goes right, i will be posting the first PDF around May and hopefully it will be fun for everyone and you will know their stats, instead of only empty names. Any comments are welcome and wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad this stuff will see the light of day! Looking forward to see what's changed, and what's totally new (especially how you worked out the Boss!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
I'm glad this stuff will see the light of day! Looking forward to see what's changed, and what's totally new (especially how you worked out the Boss!)

Well, the manual is new, so I'm just implementing his system. For now, he has 15 cards, each one showing 3 of the 9 spaces of the battlefield. So, like Runika-zord, he plays 3 cards per beat, but unlike her, his cards can be set in any order, instead of left cards, center cards and right cards. Each card shows the spaces he can hit, the safe spaces (the space between his fingers, to so speak) and the places where his skin is harder. So, when attacked, he is always hit, but he can be hit in a place where his rock skin is thick enough for it to not matter at all. At the end of beat he hits, and if you're in the wrong spot, he hits you HARD.

That's the idea, now I'm crunching numbers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Allright, more characters! Go Thiago! I'm looking forward to see your characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, any questions and suggestions are welcome. I won't post the absolute stats until I`m satisfied, but anything else is game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
When the Wanderers character contest comes out, you should totally submit one or a couple of these, sounds like you've put a lot of thought into it.

I imagine it'd be the coolest thing ever to see one of your own characters turned canon, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.