Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Your opinion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Kuhns
msg tools
If you are playing a table-top game, which of these pieces would you prefer to represent your characters and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Stand-up characters are easier to see and move, but if you have a lot of units that go into one space, it's easier to use the flat pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pullen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither.....you need plastic minis!

Or failing that my second preference is some form of wooden meeple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
supa15 wrote:
If you are playing a table-top game, which of these pieces would you prefer to represent your characters and why?

I would use "Option 1".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Kuhns
msg tools
Cant use wooden meeples if you have multiple people you are controlling XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the choice is between standees and pogs, I'll take the standees any day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Standees because I don't have claws to pick them up easily.
Altho I do get your thought on multiple units. What about risk? little abstract asterisks or something? Or do like command and colors and sticker blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmb
Depends on the game type. What type of game is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Albin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect that I'm in the minority, but I'll take the pogs as long as they are are reasonably thick. I don't know why, but standees (is that what we call them?) bug me. It's also a lot easier to glance at a table full of pogs and see what's where as opposed to standees which will sometimes block eachother.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Pogs on stands?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Glencross
Australia
Geelong
VIC
flag msg tools
Depends if you are playing one (or only a few) units and if there is stacking or not. Also if facing is important.

If you have armies that could be in the same square (or hex or whatever) then probably something like the pogs.

If it is individual units, especially if facing is important, then standees (although minis are better, but more expensive).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pogs on stands?

Like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the type of game really.

In the example you have provided, BattleTech was absolutely horrible with stand-ins. In BattleTech, you have to track facing of your units on an hexagonal grid. It would've been much more easy to visualize the game with counters (pogs) with the facing indicated on them. Of course neither is better than good old miniatures.
For anything tactical in nature, i'd go with the flat counters. Descent, Earth Reborn, BattleTech, Risk, Twilight Imperium, etc.

In an adventure game (Runebound, Arkham Horror, Android, etc.), or most games with hidden information (stratego) give me stand-ins.

For a table-top game (i assume Warhammer or something similar), then you may have no choice but to use the stand-ins, because you would lose the size of the miniature as a result of using pogs. I'd much rather use the pogs though given the choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok... serious answer this time (but I did like Pogs on Stands)

I have many bad experiences with Standees. Mostly because the Standee has a hard time standing and staying in place. There are ways of weighing it down, and I usually end up doing that if the game came with Standees.

I've never really used Pogs, and I probably wouldn't due to the size. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are considerably wider than 1 inch diameter, right? Hmmm.. well if they are only about 1.5 inch in diameter, I might consider it. The old WizKids clix games have bases that are that big, and I've played games that only had the bases and no miniatures.

... but the initial adversion I had to Flat Cardboard Discs that might be more than 1.5 inch wide is that it would be prohibitive to use on a gridded game board. Even the ol' HeroClix games felt crowded on those gridded maps.

I've gotten used to using square chits/counters recently. Most of them vary between 0.75 inch square to 1.00 inch square. Pretty good size, and I think many of the RPG game mats even use the same scale.

edit...

Now all that said, I've started exploring ways of making Standees for Print-and-Play.

(Method) Paper Mini Stand Up ... made easy

And here they are "in action".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

That's an interesting idea.
What if you crease them so they are in a triangle and put different numbers on the sides for hit points. Assuming 3 points would be enough. Then you just flip it to the next number when it gets hit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Kind of like rotating the Castle Panic tokens, but upright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

That's an interesting idea.
What if you crease them so they are in a triangle and put different numbers on the sides for hit points. Assuming 3 points would be enough. Then you just flip it to the next number when it gets hit!

There's definitely many different ways to use it.

I've just finished putting together a copy of Confusion, I'll post pictures soon.

I'm also finishing up a dexterity game using the aforementioned creased-into-triangles. (not for hitpoints tho)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's more pics ...

Blue Army Phalanx Formation!

...and... ... these Standees can stack up !

The ability to stack can be used to create modular front-sides connected to back-sides ... which could then be used for Fog of War mechanics ...... here's a game of Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War using these stackable standees

I pulled apart two of the pairs to show the four standees separately in the middle of the picture. In this case, the standees with the letters are the "backs"; and the standees with the directional pictograph are the "fronts". You insert the directional-standee into the concave part of the letter-standee. In the game of confusion, you can see how your opponent's pieces move; but you can't see how your pieces move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
They are like little sails, better not open the window while playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
They are like little sails, better not open the window while playing!

Yeah. I still tend to weigh them down by putting a penny in the concave side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.